+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5 lug conversion

Status

Default 5 lug conversion

Some of you know I just adopted Don' s R/T. I'm want some advice on a 5 lug conversion plus a upgrade to a disc brakes conversion at all four corners, what do y'all recommend ?

Status

Ive seen it posted here before, one way was to use a crown vic spindle and hubs. Just need to cut the spindle down.

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

Prefer the Mustang hub and brakes lol:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by nitroram33 View Post
    Prefer the Mustang hub and brakes lol:
    Details?

Status

'03-'04 spindles, a '94-'04 Mustang hub, plus '13 Mustang GT Dual Piston calipers and 13.2" Rotors. Press the spindle out and machine the end down to 34.1mm, IIRC, for the Mustang hub then just make some spacers for the bracket, everything else just bolts on after you buy some slightly longer bolts.

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

'03-'04 spindles, a '94-'04 Mustang hub, plus '13 Mustang GT Dual Piston calipers and 13.2" Rotors. Press the spindle out and machine the end down to 34.1mm, IIRC, for the Mustang hub then just make some spacers for the bracket, everything else just bolts on after you buy some slightly longer bolts.
    And specific reason for using the mustang calipers? Or will my 03-04 ones work?

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Osee View Post
    And specific reason for using the mustang calipers? Or will my 03-04 ones work?
    The '13 rotors are .2" bigger than earlier Cobra rotors and the hole spacing on the caliper bracket lines up exactly with the holes on the '03-'04 Dakota spindles.

Edit: didn't notice you meant '03-'04 Dakota calipers, was thinking about Terminator Cobras lol. I was going straight from my single piston '98 brakes to these, didn't have '03-'04 calipers to experiment with and since you've got to use 5-lug rotors anyway it made sense to go something that already went with the rotor and not have to worry about incorrect thickness being a problem.

Status

The only things to consider are that the track width gets wider so if you're running standard offset Mustang wheels with anything wider than a 255 section front you're probably going to get into the edge of the flare on bumps unless your suspension is pretty stuff (the trick springs on mine don't help lol.) and the spindle is a bit short, so loctite is your friend on the hub nut. Other than that, everything is available pretty much everywhere if you need replacements and is pretty cheap with not further custom machining required once you get your spacers made and the spindle turned down the first time.

Status

I was looking and the gt calipers have dual 41.5mm pistons where as the dakota has dual 50mm pistons. If I switch to gt calipers I know I'll have a much stiffer pedal, would I net a loss in braking performance though? Or would the price or would the extra inch or rotor diameter probably make up for that?

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Status

Extra leverage helps a bunch lol. Like I said though, the biggest to using all the Mustang stuff is that parts are readily available with no modifications to Dakota rotors to make them work and the brackets line up perfectly with the Mustang rotor/caliper combo as well.

Status

Extra leverage helps a bunch lol. Like I said though, the biggest to using all the Mustang stuff is that parts are readily available with no modifications to Dakota rotors to make them work and the brackets line up perfectly with the Mustang rotor/caliper combo as well.
    I was just curious if you maybe like a crown vic or explorer disk would work with the dakota calipers. I'm going to do some searching. you can't fit 15's over the gt brakes right?

Status

Need 17s for the Mustang brakes.

Status

Thanks for the info nitroram33

+ Reply to Thread