+ Reply to Thread

Thread: General Question on Leak Down Testing and Compression Testing

Status

Default General Question on Leak Down Testing and Compression Testing

I need to get a leak down test to see if my engine is still good but not on my 5.9 it's a 4 Cylinder OHC engine but I can't find a mechanic shop in my local area willing to do it or they don't do them at all. I did a compression test and all 4 cylinders read 140 PSI. I actually did it last year and then a few months ago and it was still the same. So is there a need to do a leak down test since the compression is good? Doesn't that mean it isn't losing any compression through the valves?

Status

if they are all even, and consistent with your readings before. Then there's no reason to do a leak down test. Leak down is to find out where your lost compression is going.
    You'll have to find the specs to see what the readings are suppose to be, engine may be worn from life but if they are all even then you'll good.

I like free kittens

Status

140 seems ok. If you were down at 100, or had 1 cylinder low, you would do the leak down to find out where it’s going. A rudimentary way to do one is to just put shop air to the cylinder to hear where the air is going. Crankcase = rings or hole in piston; intake or exhaust = valves.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

+ Reply to Thread