+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Caltracs on the street, lay it on me.

I killed Goose

Status

Default Caltracs on the street, lay it on me.

I've searched and read everything I can about Caltracs but still don't have a clear understanding of how they affect the ride on a street driven truck. How harsh are they and is it worth the trade off?

My truck has poor traction like the rest but has zero, I mean zero wheel hop. Lays down two blacks straight and true every time. Would I still benefit from Caltracs?
    Last edited by BIGROB; 02-15-2018 at 03:17 AM.

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Mine will be coming off of my street driven only truck, when I figure out what I am doing with my leaf springs.
    Prior to installing the Caltracs, I could corner hard with predictable oversteer, with the Caltracs it snaps sideways when the bars bind up the rear end.

My truck rides rough, always has. It is a Sport with the optional 2250lb capacity springs. So, it that respect, I don't know if the Caltracs had any effect on the ride quality.
    I plan to contact a couple of spring manufactures and see if they can build me a lighter duty pair with the ride height I am after. I would like to four bar it but that leads to other $$ modifications.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

laying black marks, means your spinning. youre not torqueing the leafs when you are spinning. Wheel hop comes from when you get traction, the rear will try to twist the leafs up, then it reach max twist and it unloads.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGROB View Post
    I've seared and read everything I can about Caltracs but still don't have a clear understanding of how they affect the ride on a street driven truck. How harsh are they and is it worth the trade off?

My truck has poor traction like the rest but has zero, I mean zero wheel hop. Lays down two blacks straight and true every time. Would I still benefit from Caltracs?
    I don't think so. I feel they are simply not long enough to put the downward pressure they purport to do. They are not so much harsh as they are freakin noisy. If you crank them up to get rid of the rattles and squeaks then they may harshen up the ride.
    As far as no wheel hop, you may not have enough grip to produce it. If you put on stickier tires, then you might and something like Caltracs or sliders or slapper bars or stiffer shocks or repositioning of shock fasten points to produce a staggered shock set up or even leaf clamps will do ya.
    I hate mine for the noise.

I killed Goose

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 9t9-5.2 View Post
    Mine will be coming off of my street driven only truck, when I figure out what I am doing with my leaf springs.
    Prior to installing the Caltracs, I could corner hard with predictable oversteer, with the Caltracs it snaps sideways when the bars bind up the rear end.

My truck rides rough, always has. It is a Sport with the optional 2250lb capacity springs. So, it that respect, I don't know if the Caltracs had any effect on the ride quality.
    I plan to contact a couple of spring manufactures and see if they can build me a lighter duty pair with the ride height I am after. I would like to four bar it but that leads to other $$ modifications.
    That's the part I'm worried about. Don't want to sacrifice cornering stability.

Black Pearl

Status

It's a truck. They're light in the back. Can't be helped. For me, before CalTracs, wheel spin with street tires. After CalTracs, still wheel spin. You'll only see the benefits with slicks/drag radials on a prepped street or at the strip. Then hang on! Ride change was minimal after the switch.
    If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

Status

Caltracs won't help you on the street, that's not what they were made for. Why would you even think they would?
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Accumulating parts...

Status

Made mine ride like a forklift. Solid aluminum bushings...

For a street/strip truck go for it. Mostly street driven. I'd pass.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

I killed Goose

Status

Thanks guys. I think I'll scratch them off the list and free up $400.00 in the budget.

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    Caltracs won't help you on the street, that's not what they were made for. Why would you even think they would?
    What if you put down "pimp juice"

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

I killed Goose

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    Because I'm an idiot; but smart enough to admit it and not too proud to ask you fine gentlemen.

"Bleach Master"

Status

if YOU CARE ABOUT CORNERS THEN CAL-TRACS ARE NOT FOR YOU, I RAN CAL-TRACS ON MY r/t BACK IN THE DAY AND IT HELPED ON THE STREET AND TRACK. I HAD DIFFERENT SETTINGS FOR THE STREET AND THE TRACK ALSO.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

To be fair yes they do help on the street. I found that using the bottom hole with a nickel width of slack between the bar and leaf gave me the best result with a street tire. With that being said I don't feel like they're worth it unless you're going to the track at least once a month. And yes they bind up the suspension and will make the truck handle worse unless you loosen them right off.

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Osee View Post
    To be fair yes they do help on the street. I found that using the bottom hole with a nickel width of slack between the bar and leaf gave me the best result with a street tire. With that being said I don't feel like they're worth it unless you're going to the track at least once a month. And yes they bind up the suspension and will make the truck handle worse unless you loosen them right off.
    Just to get this straight... is that with a Canadian nickel (1.76mm)or U.S. nickel (1.95mm)?
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    Just to get this straight... is that with a Canadian nickel (1.76mm)or U.S. nickel (1.95mm)?
    I'll never tell

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

Status

I run mine on the street, with the hipotek x brace, I just back them off a bit, otherwise it kills my back,definitely a rough ride but they do work !

I killed Goose

Status

Ah yes the X brace. I think I'll add that to my wish list. How do you like it?

Status

You won’t be disappointed, I want to get the 46re trans crossember to get rid of that heavy ass stock one

Status

I have a Hipotek cross member, I cannot believe how much it solidified the chassis on my reg cab.
    RYAN/TUNED

Got questions?!? Get the answers ->>> http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread
    For fastest response please text or email at ryan@frptuning.com ,please no PM's!!!

I killed Goose

Status

Well that settles it. Caltracs off the list and replaced with the X-brace.

Thanks guys.

GPz550 Addict

Status

Well that settles it. Caltracs off the list and replaced with the X-brace.

Thanks guys.
    I have the Kenny Bell X-Brace to be installed, and will also be installing the HiPoTek Cross Member from Richard as well.

Not all upgrades and/or aftermarket parts are just for straight line acceleration. My opinion is, our trucks were sport scar influenced, with a truck body added. The big engine leads towards drag racing which most do, but even though mine is a CC, I like the way it handles going left and right. Adding the brace and cross member will make it handle even better, from all I have read.

Again, this is just my opinion. For my taste/plan, no addition of Caltracs for me either.
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

I killed Goose

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Not all upgrades and/or aftermarket parts are just for straight line acceleration. My opinion is, our trucks were sport scar influenced, with a truck body added. The big engine leads towards drag racing which most do, but even though mine is a CC, I like the way it handles going left and right. Adding the brace and cross member will make it handle even better, from all I have read.
    Well said sir. I concur 100%

I spent a lot of time on HiPoTek's website today.
    That son-of-bitch Richard will be getting all of my tax return this year. Damn him for making such cool stuff.

GPz550 Addict

Status

Well said sir. I concur 100%

I spent a lot of time on HiPoTek's website today.
    That son-of-bitch Richard will be getting all of my tax return this year. Damn him for making such cool stuff.
    I thank Richard with every one of my orders. I have learnded a lot from HiPoTek and the Members, both present and past, from here. LOL
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

Enough Show, Need More Go

Status

I run cal tracs on the street with 1/8” gap, rides normal no issue
    1998 Silver RC SLT - Hughes 2.02 Heads, Mopar M1 4bbl Intake, Mopar 4bbl TB, 230/236 .515/.515 on a 110, 1.6 Roller Rockers, 4.10's, Spintech Headers, 3" Duals, X Pipe, Chambered Mufflers, 4/4 Drop, 727 Full Manual w/Transbrake, PTC 4500 Stall

12.90 at 104mph

Status

I already have Caltracs, just not installed yet. When I'm just dailying my truck I assume I should just leave them backed off?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast