+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice with Exhaust system design

I gots to have mo'par-ts!

Status

Default Need advice with Exhaust system design

So I need to get my exhaust system overhauled, looking to install spintech mids, and run 2.5" true dual piping. I brought the truck to a reputable performance exhaust shop near me, and he gave me some prices for a system that dumps with turn downs ahead of the rear axle, using dual in dual out MagnaFlow 18in, X-pipe, and dual in dual out cat all in stainless. My question is should I pony up for the catalytic converter or no? It's going to run about $400-500 for the C.A.R.B certified unit which he recommended for NYS emmissions. He also can do it without a cat of course, but said the rear 02 sensors would need to be turned off with tuning. Who here runs no-cats and how hard is it to tune for no check engine lights?
    Just weighing my options...thanks!
    1999 R/T CC Flame Red (what's left of the paint)
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Status

I should also add that thus far engine engine is still pretty much stock, but have plans for a build at some point in the future, so a tune will be the plans when I get there.
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Home School Valedictorian

Status

I removed my rear O2 sensor and hung it on the frame and plugged the bung to see what would happen.
    Nothing, the system didn't notice. I subsequently reinstalled the sensor.

I only did it to see what would happen as I had heard it could be done.

Disclaimer; mine is a 99 5.2 Sport

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

This good to know, yeah been reading a bit and seems that others have had luck with letting the sensor breath willie nillie in open air. I would br a happy man if I don't have to spend money on a cat or a tune

Status

This https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...9aACCDE&adurl= or the electric simulator box that tricks the PCM. My truck had the black simulator boxes when I got, and I didn't have any check engines lights.

I did something similar to the link I posted on my Challenger with high flow cats, and it will only trip the CEL when it idles for long periods of time (like 15-20 mins) in traffic. I used spark plug anti-foulers with #00 steel wool to achieve basically the same as the above, but did it before those were available.

2012 Grand Cherokee Limited Wife's car - 4X4, Hemi
    2003 Dakota RT RC, Hughes intake and throttle body, D1SC Procharger, 5-speed
    2009 Challenger RT, 6-speed, sportlines, x-pipe, Dynatech mufflers.

Status

You actually won a tune from me 2-3 years ago at one of the Dakota RT Nationals. Let me know when you'd like to cash in on it.
    RYAN/TUNED

Got questions?!? Get the answers ->>> http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread
    For fastest response please text or email at ryan@frptuning.com ,please no PM's!!!

Status

Does NY do visual emission inspections?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 2dakotas View Post
    This https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...9aACCDE&adurl= or the electric simulator box that tricks the PCM. My truck had the black simulator boxes when I got, and I didn't have any check engines lights.

I did something similar to the link I posted on my Challenger with high flow cats, and it will only trip the CEL when it idles for long periods of time (like 15-20 mins) in traffic. I used spark plug anti-foulers with #00 steel wool to achieve basically the same as the above, but did it before those were available.
    Awesome that's some good info, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinRyan View Post
    You actually won a tune from me 2-3 years ago at one of the Dakota RT Nationals. Let me know when you'd like to cash in on it.
    No way gtfoutta here! That's awesome news lol ! Thanks for offering to still oblige on that! Yeah, I regret not showing up to personally collect it, my attendance to DRTC events really suck . Really gotta make the effort one of these days! You'll be hearing from me soon though Ryan I promise, definitely have some questions for ya

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    Does NY do visual emission inspections?
    Not sure, but more I think about it...I know A guy...aka I think I'm good either way. So I don't think I'll bother to run a converter, seems like from what you guys are all saying it isn't much work to fool the rear sensor...and I'm sure I can get away with it too b/c like I said...I know a guy lol
    Thanks guys, I'll post pictures and maybe a video when it's all finished, excited to get the work done!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinRyan View Post
    That makes 2 of us then. Ryan I have to hit you up in a couple months when I get my truck out of storage.

Status

#metoo.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Status

Always good to 'know a guy' then. No brainer to ditch the cats then.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    #metoo.

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    Always good to 'know a guy' then. No brainer to ditch the cats then.
    Yup, he doesn't put it up on the lift just plugs it in to obd, so as long as I don't have any check engine lights on I'm home free.

+ Reply to Thread