+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What causes these brake pad wear notches on the 99 spindles?

Status

Default What causes these brake pad wear notches on the 99 spindles?

I have two decent front used spindles on my 99 that seem to be ok but have slight notches where the brake pads rest. Every one of them I saw in the salvage yard had these wear notches there and unfortunately only 1999 Dakota or Durango will fit. What causes those notches? Could that hang the brake pads up from sliding back and forth? I do have a slight brake pull but it only happens sometimes. All hoses, pads, and calipers were replaced when I swapped spindles. I filed down the high points and put caliper grease where they slide. I've since gotten one more LH spindle with slightly less noticeable notches but still there and one brand new RH spindle. I know everyone says swap over to the 01+ with brackets but I replaced just about everything when I had to put those used spindles on. I'm planning on rebuilding the suspension again using Energy Suspension instead of NOS Mopar bushings like last time. But I was just wondering why every Dakota and Durango spindle had those wear notches grooved in them where the brake pads sit. Is it from not applying caliper grease there? If it's going to happen on every spindle I put on there I may just leave them when I do the rebuild.

it's normal wear from use.
    1941 Dodge 1/2 ton, 493 twin turbo, EFI, 727, 4 wheel disc brakes, custom triangulated 4 link, DANA 60, Gleason Torsen diff,

2002 Dakota R/T RC, PX8, PPH Headers, K&N FIPK, Hotchkis TVS, 20" R/T chrome rims, BFG G-Force T/A KDW 275/35 ZR20 tires, Kenwood head unit, Kenwood speakers, RF amp, 8" RF Punch Z subs

1998 Dakota RC daily driver 5.9L, AX-15 5 speed, Hooker long tube headers, FRP tune

"Bleach Master"

Status

Well, when a steal backed pad rubs for years against a steel spindle, there is going to be wear, that is why brake pads come with different thickness clips to put on the brake pad backing wear it contacts the spindle.

You're welcome, I have done my good deed for the day, back to being an asshole!
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

It doesn't seem to be uniform across the spindles I've checked in the salvage yard. It's always in the middle like the pad got stuck and dug into the spindle. Is it likely that those didn't receive high temp grease on them when brake jobs were performed? I read over some old posts on other forums where to solve it people were filling it with weld and grinding it back down smooth. It never said what they were welding with though or hopefully they weren't just using JB Weld. I wonder if that is worth trying. The mechanic I'm taking my truck to do the front end bushing change is always welding frames and building frames all the time so I'm sure he could do it if it's possible. I do have one new spindle and one fairly good one without any noticeable notches on it. I can't remember how deep they were on the replacement spindles I put on when I first got my truck.

GPz550 Addict

Status

Pictures of this???
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

I like free kittens

Status

Normal. The spindle is cast iron. The pads are steel backed. Wear is going to happen. Need to file the spindle till its flat again.

Or buy one of my brake kits and run fixed Brembo calipers.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

+ Reply to Thread