+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 50 mm to 52 mm Throttle Body Upgrade

  1. #1


    Corey's Avatar
    GPz550 Addict

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    1,825

    Default 50 mm to 52 mm Throttle Body Upgrade

    I currently have a 50 mm Throttle Body that came with my R/T, and was going to upgrade to a 52 in the near future. Just wondering there would be any savings to have this one upgraded, or buy a 52 mm outright?
    DRTC #1176

    2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

    1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon


    Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

  2. #2


    99dart's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Washington...the hot side!
    Posts
    3,536

    Default

    It has been my experience that a guy probably wouldn't feel any gain from the 52 alone. I had Josh (madboy) test my ported stocker against a F&B 52 several years back. He made a couple passes with the already installed 50mm of mine. Then, swapped over to the 52mm he had just gotten. My ported 50 was a few hundredths quicker in the 1/8th, then the 52 picked up a few hundredths on the top end for a nearly identical 1/4 mile pass. So, take that for what you want. And, get that thing back together!
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103 new 365 C.I (guessatune
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

  3. #3


    Corey's Avatar
    GPz550 Addict

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    1,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    It has been my experience that a guy probably wouldn't feel any gain from the 52 alone. I had Josh (madboy) test my ported stocker against a F&B 52 several years back. He made a couple passes with the already installed 50mm of mine. Then, swapped over to the 52mm he had just gotten. My ported 50 was a few hundredths quicker in the 1/8th, then the 52 picked up a few hundredths on the top end for a nearly identical 1/4 mile pass. So, take that for what you want.
    Thanks for the information and advice. I will await the dyno/tuning results to see if more Throttle Body is recommended. Until then, I am now planning on leaving the 50 alone.


    Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    And, get that thing back together!
    I's my engine(party), and I'll take my time(cry) if I want to.
    DRTC #1176

    2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

    1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon


    Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

  4. #4
    niebs's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    North DE
    Posts
    1,185

    Default

    See if the current one is pulling a intake vacuum at WOT high rpms. If not, then no need to upgrade.

  5. #5


    Corey's Avatar
    GPz550 Addict

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    1,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    See if the current one is pulling a intake vacuum at WOT high rpms. If not, then no need to upgrade.
    Will do! Thanks.
    DRTC #1176

    2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

    1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon


    Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

  6. #6


    99dart's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Washington...the hot side!
    Posts
    3,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Thanks for the information and advice. I will await the dyno/tuning results to see if more Throttle Body is recommended. Until then, I am now planning on leaving the 50 alone.



    I's my engine(party), and I'll take my time(cry) if I want to.
    LOL
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103 new 365 C.I (guessatune
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •