+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need to replace front hubs and have questions

Default Need to replace front hubs and have questions

Need to replace the front hubs on my 2000 R/T and was wondering if it is a bolt on job or are they pressed? Also, I see articles where people are using 02-03 Durango parts in older trucks, was there a change or an improvement on the later models?

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

Once you take the rotor off, the hub assemblies are only held on by one large, non-reusable lock nut. '03-'04 trucks have different spindles and dual-piston calipers with larger rotors.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

The hubs can be bought as a replacement unit and replaced, one nut to remove and replace. Or, you can buy the bearing and replace those using a press. The Durango parts are the front brakes, they are larger rotors and dual piston calipers. The steering knuckle has to be replaced with the Durango piece at the same time. They use the same hub though.

I replace the bearings in my OE hubs. I can get both bearings for less than the cost of a single quality hub assembly.
    Last edited by 9t9-5.2; 01-04-2018 at 10:48 AM.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

GPz550 Addict

Status

I easily replaced my hubs and the nuts on my 2000 a few years ago. No sweat!
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

Good info, thanks, I think I will grab the Durango parts next time pick n pull has a 50% off sale at my local yards. I did see something online that was mentioned here as well that the big nut that holds the hub in place has to be replaced so I ordered a couple at Rockauto. Wonder why you have to replace them each time, is it some kind of a locking nut?

Status

The '03-'04 Dakota also works for sourcing the bigger brakes. Keep in mind the Dakota and the '03 Durango stuff is different so you'll want to make sure you get pads and rotors for whatever the spindle and caliper are or things won't fit. The nut isn't reusable because it is a large nylon locknut, as I mentioned earlier.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Quote Originally Posted by spence340 View Post
    Good info, thanks, I think I will grab the Durango parts next time pick n pull has a 50% off sale at my local yards. I did see something online that was mentioned here as well that the big nut that holds the hub in place has to be replaced so I ordered a couple at Rockauto. Wonder why you have to replace them each time, is it some kind of a locking nut?

I've reused mine multiple times.

YMMV

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

You can use it again, but it's just a nylon locknut and it's effectiveness will be reduced each time you do; with no cotter pin to stop it, it could eventually back off and cause tons of fun. Well worth the extra $15 bucks it costs to get two new ones for a job you should only have to do once every 80-100k miles or so and not have to think about it.

I like free kittens

Status

I've never had a new hub assembly NOT come with a new nut. no need to buy new ones separately. Keep your receipt in case you decide to return them.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

+ Reply to Thread