+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ordering master cylinder but they all look different than original

Status

Default Ordering master cylinder but they all look different than original

I'm ordering a master cylinder probably from Rockauto for my 1999 Dakota R/T. I see the Cardone and Raybestos brands had an electrical connector there but my original doesn't have a connector. What is that suppose to be for? Also the Centric and Raybestos have huge resevoirs that look like the one on my friend's 2004 Dakota SLT. The master cylinder I have on my truck now appears to be original and looks like the Cardone resevoir without the electrical connector. What's up with the huge resevoirs for this year? Does it matter?

I like free kittens

Status

They used to be different from year to year, but the parts suppliers have apparently decided to stock the 03/04 master for all 97-04 Dakotas, because it's cheaper to make 1 vs 2 different types of masters, and it's 'good enough'
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Status

So I could use any of them and they should function the same no matter the resevoir size? I was thinking of getting just the remanufactured cylinder from Cardone and reusing my resevoir but I don't know the quality of remanufactured cylinders because I've always just bought new ones with resevoirs.

I like free kittens

Status

Uh, reservoir size/shape/location is completely irrelevant to its function.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

I didn't think the size of the resevoir made a difference. Is that sensor on the new aftermarket master cylinder resevoirs removable? I'm guessing it's for low brake fluid level? The only one that doesn't have one aftermarket is the 1998 and it's a different resevoir design.

I like free kittens

Status

Why do you want to remove it? What will you put in the hole after you remove the sensor? What's wrong with just leaving the sensor there, unplugged and not hooked up to anything?
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

Well I went with the I guess common now large resevoir style with the sensor in it. It was only $35 with shipping and 1 year warranty. I couldn't really find anything else anyway. Sucks that it didn't come with a bleeder kit but I guess that's why it was only $35.

+ Reply to Thread