+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 99 Dakota Rear Seat Update

Default 99 Dakota Rear Seat Update

Since I purchased the truck in 2000 I wanted more stereo along with some more bass which the factory system was missing altogether. I like my Rock and Heavy Metal to sound as awesome as it was meant to be so the entire sound system was overhauled. I started with the rear bench seat and skipping over all the other details this is the focus of this posting. The rear sub and amp rack I built in 2001 with two Alpine 12" subs (to much for the cab volume) along with the upper amp rack. It's had a few different amps over the years. Back then there wasn't any pancake subs on the market and as you know the rear seat is very low to begin with. I was able to acquire the matching fabric for the top which was perfect for keeping it all hidden and stock looking at first glance.

Dodge Dakota by Michael Wigg, on Flickr

However it is a beast making the rear seating practically useless for any extra passengers when the odd time it was necessary. So I wanted to change it up a bit by installing a single new style Pioneer 10" very thin sub with the amp mounted low in the other sub location.

After removing the amp rack the two 12" sub see daylight for the first time since installation.

Whiplash Engine & Machine, FRP Tuned
    Instagram moderator for dakota_rt_club

Status

Nice! I like my MB amp as well.

I didn't take any pictures while ripping the box apart but here's how it looked after refitting.

I also wanted to get every little bit of space utilizing the new sub profile so I used my dremel router to gain some more clearance.

The bottom of the box requires some additional shaping to fit the cab floor which can be seen in the one photo. You can see the extra I had to cut out for the old sub magnet to clear, this was no longer an issue and so I replaced the MDF there.

Before finishing the box completely its time to test fit.

You can see the old line on the rear cushion of where it use to be for height, I was able to trim it down roughly 5".

With everything looking good I started to carpet the box starting with the inside of the amp tray.
    Followed by the rest, keeping in mind I don't want any Supper 33 spray glue on the finished product.

The wiring will be getting cleaned up later but in the meantime I'll fit it altogether and get it situated.

I still have to secure the box to the cab. I'm going to make some brackets up and utilize the factory bolt holes in the floor for the stock plastic tray. Some more finishing work and wire cleanup but I adjusted the amp for the new sub and it is better than it was with the two 12" by a long shot. I'm 6' tall and I can sit in the back straight up with 1" clearance to the headliner.

Not pictured yet is a small modification to the seat cushion over the sub. I made up two tapered pieces of MDF and glued them to the wood board inside the cushion to provide sub woofer cone clearance.

Status

Looking good! That is a quality job right there, well done.

Few questions. First is how hard is it to get the old plastic tray out of there?

Second is does that one amp feed all your speakers and the sub or do you have a separate amp somewhere else?

I currently have a 4 channel amp feeding my speakers sitting in the stock plastic box. It's a 1000W amp but a little bit of a dinosaur so might be looking to upgrade and one that also has an sub out would be great. I don't know a crazy amount about audio setups myself but I am learning.

I killed Goose

Status

Damn, that looks great Wiggsy. Nice work.

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

Quote Originally Posted by xjsc16x View Post
    Looking good! That is a quality job right there, well done.

Few questions. First is how hard is it to get the old plastic tray out of there?

Second is does that one amp feed all your speakers and the sub or do you have a separate amp somewhere else?

I currently have a 4 channel amp feeding my speakers sitting in the stock plastic box. It's a 1000W amp but a little bit of a dinosaur so might be looking to upgrade and one that also has an sub out would be great. I don't know a crazy amount about audio setups myself but I am learning.
    The plastic tray came out only once about 18 years ago and it was simple, two bolts to the rear on either side plus a bolt under each useless drink holder. The seats unbolt easily enough as well.

That’s a five channel MB Quart amp driving the four speakers and the sub. It also has a remote bass knob which is great for adjusting between TOOL and Led Zepp.

I use to run a four channel for the four speakers and another two channel for the two 12” subs. The five channel simplifies the setup with additional benefits for control and size.

Black Pearl

Status

Sano!
    If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ScojoDak View Post
    Sano!
    Thanks, I had to look that up

Quote Originally Posted by BIGROB View Post
    Damn, that looks great Wiggsy. Nice work.
    Thanks BigRob

Quote Originally Posted by y2krtaf View Post
    Nice! I like my MB amp as well.
    Yes it’s a really nice amp and very inexpensive nowadays if you can find one.

Black Pearl

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggsy72 View Post
    Thanks, I had to look that up

Next I’ll be adding the device to utilize the steering wheel buttons with the Pioneer deck along with hardwiring a BlackVue HD WiFi and GPS enabled dash cam. I swear by this dash cam and have them installed on my other two vehicles, both hardwired, both almost hidden mounted behind the rear view mirror. No useless screen glaring back in your face, think of it like a GoPro with smart capture for driving and parking lot modes.

Status

Next I’ll be adding the device to utilize the steering wheel buttons with the Pioneer deck along with hardwiring a BlackVue HD WiFi and GPS enabled dash cam. I swear by this dash cam and have them installed on my other two vehicles, both hardwired, both almost hidden mounted behind the rear view mirror. No useless screen glaring back in your face, think of it like a GoPro with smart capture for driving and parking lot modes.
    Have a specific part number you use? I've thought about getting one as well.

Steering wheel device PAC swi-x

BlackVue Dash Cam DR650GW-1ch/FHD

Sample from my RAM

Black Pearl

Status

BlackVue Dash Cam. Sample from my RAM
    WOW! That clown seriously blew that light. On a high note, if there was a collision, you'd own that sum bitch due to the dash cam.

Looks really good Mike. I have my steering wheel controls hooked up to my Pioneer deck. Love it and wouldn't go without them.

Finally got the sub/amp box secured to the cab using some fabricated brackets utilizing the factory tray bolt down locations, good and solid.

Got the BlackVue DR650S-1CH (dashcam) yesterday and mounted it up in behind the rear view mirror. I haven’t run the power wire for it yet, I’ll do that when I hardwire it to a flush mount LED toggle switch. At the same time I’ll setup the PAC SWI unit for the steering wheel buttons.

+ Reply to Thread