+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What brand shock will provide the absolute most comfortable ride in an R/T?

Status

Default What brand shock will provide the absolute most comfortable ride in an R/T?

Since I'm basically redoing the front end bushings, balljoints again to change to Energy Suspension I will likely change the shocks again followed by new 255/55/17 tires. Last time wasn't even 3 years ago and I used Gabriel ProGuard not because they were the cheapest, they weren't actually the cheapest, but because I was told after calling their tech department it would provide the closest to original ride which I would say is pretty much true. But since you can no longer get the Mopar replacements what can I get to provide the most comfortable ride without sacrificing whatever performance the shocks give you in handling. I already can feel a world of difference between riding in my 2wd Ford Ranger and my R/T. It is night and day even in the comfort department. My Ford has always felt like driving in a stagecoach on a cobblestone road all the time wherever you are driving even with a fresh front end rebuild. When I drive my Dakota even now with the less than perfect suspension it still out does the Ford 100% in ride quality except when it encounters a bump the rear end bops around just like I read in all the review articles about R/T's ride quality. I will likely be buying a new set from Rockauto and they have numerous brands FSC and OSC brand I've never heard of which are listed as Economy shocks. The there is the standards Gabriel, Monroe, KYB, Bilstein, and Rancho.

I killed Goose

Status

I'm running the middle grade KYB Gas-Adjust shocks. I don't know how they compare to factory originals but i like them.
    Comfortable ride but enough stiffness for "sporty" handling. Plus they're only like $35-$40 each.
    KG5458 up front and KG54321 in the rear.

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

Home School Valedictorian

Status

I'm sold on Bilstein.

The polyurethane bushings will have a negative impact on your quest for a comfortable ride.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

That's why I was searching for the best option for shocks. I have the autoparts store brand Gabriel Proguards on there now which are actually surprisingly smooth riding. I can't imagine changing to the urethane bushings will make this Dakota anymore uncomfortable than my daily driver Ford Ranger. I haven't been in any other vehicle that has a worse ride than a Ranger.

Status

I run Monroe Sensi-Trac shocks right now on my truck.
    I had Edelbrock Shocks in at one point and the gas seals blew out.
    I got new ones under warranty, but was to lazy to reinstall them.
    The Monroe's give a really nice firm ride, but still comfortable.
    Edelbrock Magnum heads, Harland-Sharp 1:6 RR, Jomar Performance Ultra-Lite Stud Girdle, SoutheastPerformance Sheet Metal Valve Covers, Custom Hyd Roller from Reed Cams, Mopar M-1 2 Brl Intake, Hughes Stage 1 TB, JBA SS Headers, Jacobs Electronics Pro Street Ignition System and Wires, MBRP 'Cuda Style Exhaust, Western Chassis 2" drop front and rear, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, Terry DeLong Pro-Glass Shaker Hood

I’ve had the same Billstien shocks on the truck for 15 years now and they were night and day compared to the stockers.

Whiplash Engine & Machine, FRP Tuned
    Instagram moderator for dakota_rt_club

R/T Lives Matter

Status

I put competition engineering adjustables in last year. Haven't had any problems and they ride really nice compared to the originals that were in there before.
    99 R/T
    The never ending project

+ Reply to Thread