+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Down stream o2 sensors

Status

Default Down stream o2 sensors

Okay here goes I'm sure this has been covered but I'm going to ask anyhow cause I'm frustrated with this truck & need help. 2002 Dakota R/T I'm getting codes p0138 & p0158 which if I'm not mistaken is both down stream sensors. I crawl under it to screw in new NTK's & find the following. Driverside has had the plug hacked & the sensor is screwed into the pipe & butt connected the passenger side has a plug in the pipe & that sensor is plugged in & wire tied to the harness. It looks like based off the welding that was done that my converters have been gutted & they sound hollow when lightly tapping them with a wrench. I'd love any advice on how to proceed with this. Thanks in advance

Status

Replace the o2s with new and zie tie them to the frame, then plug the hole on the exhaust. Or replace the cats and put new o2s in correct location. Or get a tune and turn them off.

Supporting Vendor

Status

You can leave the O2 sensors in the pipe once replaced with good ones or use a HiPoTek O2 sensor holster for a cleaner look. http://stores.hi-potek.com/hipotek-o2-sensor-holster/

Status

Thank you both for the replies but stupid secondary question the driverside o2 has to be wired in 2 white wires? Then black & gray

Status

Okay folks...... UPDATE.. wired in the driverside plugged in the passenger side tied them off to the rear of the transmission with super long sparkplug antifoulers loosely screwed on them 12 mile drive it seems to really run well & no light..... I'll keep everyone posted..... FYI..... I still miss my obd1 5.9 powered 92 Dakota .... Thank you again for the replies

Status

I can not worry about o2 sensors and just get a tune? Does this apply to catalytic converter also?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by formsby1 View Post
    I can not worry about o2 sensors and just get a tune? Does this apply to catalytic converter also?
    You always need the upstream sensors. (for EFI at least)

The downstream sensors are only for monitoring the efficiency of the cats. So if you tie them to the frame then they read open air and think that the cat is at ridiculous efficiency lol.

Some people have had it work some haven't. Don't know about the trucks with two cats but on my '99 it worked just fine for me haven't seen a code in over a year.

+ Reply to Thread