+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wide band install

Default Wide band install

Just about everyone here knows my engine experience comes from the dark ages. No electronics encountered then if it wasn't a distributor or coil. I got this "wide band" thingy to help with tuning but I need some clarification please as there is no "sticky" on the subject and info on the forum is rather sparse for an idiot like myself.

I know I have to drill and weld a bung before the cats. I know the red wire goes to the battery. I know the black goes to the ground. The white goes to a 0-5v output. Where do I grab that? The blue goes to something called a "serial output" or RS-232 com port. WTF, What is that and where do I find it and why is it optional? Next there is something about an ems system. Do I have that?

There is an entire page about "calibrations". Do I need to mess with this at all?

So I have what is called today A.D.D. (who knew as there was no such thing when I was growing up). I do best with pictures or specific instructions like "put this fucking wire here." Most written instructions are like a bowl of spaghetti to me. It is so odd because I was a wiz at figuring valve events. I just saw stuff there. Sadly, one of the few places are ever got to "see stuff". Thanks for any clarification.

Status

you need to have a controller for a wideband o2 sensor. You cant just buy a sensor and wire it up. Sensor goes to the controller, controller goes to the tuner. What wideband do you have? does it have a gauge or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    you need to have a controller for a wideband o2 sensor. You cant just buy a sensor and wire it up. Sensor goes to the controller, controller goes to the tuner. What wideband do you have? does it have a gauge or anything?
    It is from AEM and the 30-4110 model. It comes with the 4.9 Bosch sensor. It came as a complete kit with bung, wiring, gauge, etc. The tuner is the SCT X3. Is the controller in here someplace?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/AEM-30-4110-...ZT8RqB&vxp=mtr

Status

Ok perfect. The controller is built into the gauge. I have not messed with the sct x3. But normally you will just use the aems 5v output (white wire) and attach that to scts 5v input. Then go thru scts menu to make the input channel to afr.

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    Ok perfect. The controller is built into the gauge. I have not messed with the sct x3. But normally you will just use the aems 5v output (white wire) and attach that to scts 5v input. Then go thru scts menu to make the input channel to afr.
    At first I didn't understand the reference to Air Force Reserve or Air Flow Research. Then it dawned on me you must mean air to fuel ratio. I can be pretty smart when i'm not drooling.

+ Reply to Thread