+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can I still get a new steering wheel and is it difficult to replace?

Status

Default Can I still get a new steering wheel and is it difficult to replace?

My steering wheel is soft and spongy in spots. I hate it but I can't seem to find one out of all the Dakotas and Durangos in the junkyard. Mine is the leather wrapped with cruise control and radio controls on the back. Most of the ones I see are the cheap vinyl but are always in better shape than mine. I do see the difference between the standard and the leather wrapped. It's noticeable.

Status

'78 Chrysler LeBaron - Gone
    '84 Dodge 600 - Gone
    '96 Dodge Avenger I-4 5 Spd - Gone
    '05 Neon SRT4 - Gone
    '05 Dodge Magnum RT- Gone
    '00 Dak RT- Now in TX
    '12 Challenger SRT8 - Gone
    '16 Charger Scat Pack- Gone
    '22 Ram Rebel 1500

"Bleach Master"

Status

What year? I still have the 2000 steering wheel from my Dakota R/T, it is leather wrapped and in good shape if interested.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

Oh yeah mine is a 99 leather wrapped with the radio controls and cruise control. How much? I was wondering what other Dodge trucks used the same steering wheel. I've been searching and it appears Dodge Ram's. It looked like they even had the same instrument cluster unless they had the wrong picture up. Anyway I'm guessing not many had the radio controls in them. Is that back piece with the radio controls removable and able to be transferred over? The steering wheels only go for about $10 here but I don't know if they will have a compatible one. I know a couple salvage yards here that have tons of Rams and Durango's but I didn't see Durango's come up as an interchange and they don't have a whole lot of Dakotas.

Quote Originally Posted by X_HAWAII RT View Post
    Great suggestion, that’s what I would do.

Whiplash Engine & Machine, FRP Tuned
    Instagram moderator for dakota_rt_club

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by wh23g3g View Post
    Oh yeah mine is a 99 leather wrapped with the radio controls and cruise control. How much? I was wondering what other Dodge trucks used the same steering wheel. I've been searching and it appears Dodge Ram's. It looked like they even had the same instrument cluster unless they had the wrong picture up. Anyway I'm guessing not many had the radio controls in them. Is that back piece with the radio controls removable and able to be transferred over? The steering wheels only go for about $10 here but I don't know if they will have a compatible one. I know a couple salvage yards here that have tons of Rams and Durango's but I didn't see Durango's come up as an interchange and they don't have a whole lot of Dakotas.
    the cruise and radio controls are attached to the hard plastic piece screwed to the wheel, so a steering wheel without controls will still work. Let me figure out a way to host pictures of it and ou can decide whether you still want it or not.

Dodge ram wheel I believe is different but not 100% sure about that.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

Yeah I would like to see. Mine is an eyesore and it had a steering wheel cover on it when I got the truck and I hate steering wheel covers to begin with.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

I used a Ram wheel in my 99.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

I got a nice wheel off of a 01 Ram that took me about 5 minutes to get off. I then took it home had mine off in about the same time. Then I transferred everything over I noticed it was hard to get the wheel on with everything lined up. I had checked to be sure the wheel fit another 99 while I was in the junkyard and it did with no problems. I couldn't understand why I couldn't get my steering wheel on at home. Then I looked at the splines on the steering column shaft and noticed spline next to the line up mark was shaved off. It started to rain and I had to get it on somehow so that if I had to move the truck I could. I was going to put the old one back and try later. Now the old one wouldn't even go on. It came off so easy just like the one in the junkyard. I don't know what happened to the splines. I tried to clean up the messed up spline and get the groove straight but either wheel would only go about halfway down. It went down far enough to get the nut on and I tightened the nut probably more torque than it should be. The nut is down far enough for it not to walk off but there is up and down play in the wheel because of the messed up spline. So now I'm guessing the whole column will have to be replaced? A simple 10 minute job turned into a ruined steering column. I don't even know if I can get a column and what kind of Dakota it has to be from. I'm not sure if I even want to drive it. Is there anyone had a messed up spline and was able to reuse their wheel? The wheel splines on both are clean.

+ Reply to Thread