+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lowering blocks and axle wrap

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

Default Lowering blocks and axle wrap

I've got 1" hotchkiss drop springs for the front, but I'd like to drop the rear either 1" or 1 1/2" and I was thinking about moving the stock hangers up higher, and using a 1/2" lowering block. Is anyone running a lowering block over 500 whp with good success? I'd presume it gives more leverage for axle wrap, but is that necessarily a bad thing when I have caltrac's?

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

Status

I'ld rather look into a -1" monoleaf. Or adjust both hangers to get the ride height and help with antisquat.

Status

1" monoleafs, caltracs and spring sliders.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

I like free kittens

Status

Purpose? Race truck or street cruiser?

Yea you can run a small block to increase drop. You can add a clamp to minimize wrap and wheel hop; but if you're shooting for low 60' times, I would go another route.

I have hotchkis leafs, a 1" block, and a spring clamp. It works fine but I'm also not a dedicated racer
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Filbert View Post
    Purpose? Race truck or street cruiser?

Yea you can run a small block to increase drop. You can add a clamp to minimize wrap and wheel hop; but if you're shooting for low 60' times, I would go another route.

I have hotchkis leafs, a 1" block, and a spring clamp. It works fine but I'm also not a dedicated racer
    It's just going to be a street brawler. Drifting, burnouts, drag racing, and just being a general goon. I only have stock leafs. I know hotchkis leafs are impossible to find, and a split monoleaf is probably not he greatest idea for what I'll be doing with it.

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Status

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    I'ld rather look into a -1" monoleaf. Or adjust both hangers to get the ride height and help with antisquat.
    I would move each hanger up equally

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    1" monoleafs, caltracs and spring sliders.
    I know your setup works reeeeeally well, but I'm not building a drag truck.

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

I have the Caltrac bars with Caltrac monoleafs and angled lowering block to get both the pinion angle I wanted and lower the truck.
    It seems to work OK.
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    I have the Caltrac bars with Caltrac monoleafs and angled lowering block to get both the pinion angle I wanted and lower the truck.
    It seems to work OK.
    How do you like the monoleafs on the street? Does handling suck? Or would I be OK throwing it out sideways?

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Osee View Post
    How do you like the monoleafs on the street? Does handling suck? Or would I be OK throwing it out sideways?
    I originally didn't have the rear swaybar on - and it sucked badly. (on the street)
    Adding the rear swaybar made a huge difference.
    Throwing it out sideways is the easy part.

It still leans more than it did with stock springs going around corners - but with the Detroit Locker in it - I don't get to play Ricky Bobby much on corners or it starts to "Sprint Car" around the corner when the rearend locks up like a spool. The difficult part is going around a corner fairly quickly without "Drifting" it. Of course - that's a matter of the locker and not the springs. It just means I can't "test" the handling like I once could. The "Trick" springs and 90/10s in the front are zero help also.
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    I originally didn't have the rear swaybar on - and it sucked badly. (on the street)
    Adding the rear swaybar made a huge difference.
    Throwing it out sideways is the easy part.

It still leans more than it did with stock springs going around corners - but with the Detroit Locker in it - I don't get to play Ricky Bobby much on corners or it starts to "Sprint Car" around the corner when the rearend locks up like a spool. The difficult part is going around a corner fairly quickly without "Drifting" it. Of course - that's a matter of the locker and not the springs. It just means I can't "test" the handling like I once could. The "Trick" springs and 90/10s in the front are zero help also.
    Ok, that's fine with me, I welded the diff because drift life... I was more concerned about body roll, and bouncing, as long as it's predictable.

I'm running -1" mono leafs with 1" blocks w/Caltracs and TruTrac and R/T front and rear sways. With good street tires it is quite predictable if not still a bit tail happy. I also have dual adjustable QA-1's in front and dual adjustable Strange Eng rear shocks that I believe makes a big difference in making it much more driveable from street to strip! Run much different settings for each whether on street or track. Will say with E/T Streets (bias) very sketchy getting them sideways even aired up to 25lbs ;-)

+ Reply to Thread