+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: O/D OFF and TRANS TEMP lights coming on at slow speeds

Status

Default O/D OFF and TRANS TEMP lights coming on at slow speeds

What the title says. I only seem to be having the problem occasionally below ~50mph. It usually does not happen at speed on the highway.

The two lights sometimes come on and off with each other, sometimes alternating, sometimes just one. Seems erratic.

While happening the O/D OFF will come on and off multiple times within a couple of seconds. Tranny does not feel like it's slipping at all, nice firm shifts in and out of O/D.

I think it might be a heat issue, but I do have an aftermarket cooler so not sure why. Transmission was rebuilt with heavier duty parts around 20k miles ago (that's when the cooler was installed). 137k on the truck total.

Will be doing a fluid change and flushing the cooler this weekend as well as changing the filter and installing a trans temp gauge.

Any ideas as to what I can look at while I'm in there? I'd like to adjust the bands but I have no idea how to go about doing so.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by xjsc16x View Post
    What the title says. I only seem to be having the problem occasionally below ~50mph. It usually does not happen at speed on the highway.

The two lights sometimes come on and off with each other, sometimes alternating, sometimes just one. Seems erratic.

While happening the O/D OFF will come on and off multiple times within a couple of seconds. Tranny does not feel like it's slipping at all, nice firm shifts in and out of O/D.

I think it might be a heat issue, but I do have an aftermarket cooler so not sure why. Transmission was rebuilt with heavier duty parts around 20k miles ago (that's when the cooler was installed). 137k on the truck total.

Will be doing a fluid change and flushing the cooler this weekend as well as changing the filter and installing a trans temp gauge.

Any ideas as to what I can look at while I'm in there? I'd like to adjust the bands but I have no idea how to go about doing so.
    Could be a temp sensor or wiring issue, will need some testing equipment to diagnose correctly.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    Could be a temp sensor or wiring issue, will need some testing equipment to diagnose correctly.
    Is the temp sensor located inside the governor pressure solenoid or sensor? I was thinking about replacing the stock with a Borg Warner while I'm in there.

...Will be doing a fluid change and flushing the cooler this weekend as well as changing the filter and installing a trans temp gauge...
    This is was what I thought was the first logical step, was confirming temperature with a gauge.

R/T Lives Matter

Status

I had this same issue with my 5.2. There is an older thread on here about it. I ended up replacing trans temp sensor, o/d sensor, governor pressure sensor, and none of them did the trick. I ended up taking it to a tranny shop, and it was some wiring issue where to wires were rubbing together causing the lights to come on. I'm no transmission expert so I couldn't tell you which wires they were but that solved it for me.
    99 R/T
    The never ending project

"Bleach Master"

Status

Borg Warner GPS upgrade is a great idea but as Bowman24 just explained, have a trusted mechanic that does drivability work test the wiring of the circuit correctly. Or you will waste time and money changing unnecessary parts.

Red trucks are faster

Status

You never mentioned what year the truck is.
    The absolute first thing you need to do is retrieve ALL the trouble codes and decipher them.
    That knowledge will give clues to the real underlying culprit(s).

For instance; if you have any oxygen sensor trouble codes to go along with any tranny trouble codes then wiring and or oxygen sensors become suspect. In this case its because the two share the same 5 volt refference wire and a short can wreak havoc from one to the other.

Another good reason to own an sct tuner is for pulling the trouble codes at will.
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    You never mentioned what year the truck is.
    The absolute first thing you need to do is retrieve ALL the trouble codes and decipher them.
    That knowledge will give clues to the real underlying culprit(s).

For instance; if you have any oxygen sensor trouble codes to go along with any tranny trouble codes then wiring and or oxygen sensors become suspect. In this case its because the two share the same 5 volt refference wire and a short can wreak havoc from one to the other.

Another good reason to own an sct tuner is for pulling the trouble codes at will.
    Oxygen sensor isn't 5v reference
    the GPS and Trans temp sensor are the same unit and use the same 5v reference together and it is only fed to the two via pin 31 on connector 2 of the pcm......

Red trucks are faster

Status

Oxygen sensor isn't 5v reference
    the GPS and Trans temp sensor are the same unit and use the same 5v reference together and it is only fed to the two via pin 31 on connector 2 of the pcm......

O2 sensor short feeds back through PCM and upsets the gov press signal is just one scenario.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

"Bleach Master"

Status

O2 sensor short feeds back through PCM and upsets the gov press signal is just one scenario.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Yeah, it happens on trucks running stock engine /trans combos.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Yeah, it happens on trucks running stock engine /trans combos.
    Never seent an O2 sensor cause GPS issues, I have seent a bad O2 sensor heater burn up the heater driver in the pcm. Never seent a completely separate circuit burn from another circuit burn up the separate circuit at the pcm before. Only ever seen crushed/frayed wire touch and affect separate circuits that way.

Maybe that is what you mean sense the transmission harness and O2 sensor harness run inside the same convoluted tubing, that would be the only possible way an O2 sensor circuit would affect a transmission circuit is by their wires coming in contact from wire chaffing or crushed together.

Red trucks are faster

Status

No what I mean is that anything is possible with these trucks because of they way Dodge wired them.
    I've had a down stream O2 sensor put my tranny into limp mode because the sensor was shorted out internally.
    Truck would take off in second gear from a stop.
    Would of never believed it until I read about it on another Dodge site posted by some certified dealer tech.
    Went and pulled my trouble codes and dont you know I had O2 sensor and governor pressure sensor trouble codes stored.
    I've also had one problem cause several other related codes.

I don't care if you believe me or not, google it. There is a lot more info out there on the inteweb thats not covered here because these tranny/motor combos were used in Rams and full sized vans.

To the O.P..... pull and look up your trouble codes before you do anything else.

"Bleach Master"

Status

No what I mean is that anything is possible with these trucks because of they way Dodge wired them.
    I've had a down stream O2 sensor put my tranny into limp mode because the sensor was shorted out internally.
    Truck would take off in second gear from a stop.
    Would of never believed it until I read about it on another Dodge site posted by some certified dealer tech.
    Went and pulled my trouble codes and dont you know I had O2 sensor and governor pressure sensor trouble codes stored.
    I've also had one problem cause several other related codes.

I don't care if you believe me or not, google it. There is a lot more info out there on the inteweb thats not covered here because these tranny/motor combos were used in Rams and full sized vans.

To the O.P..... pull and look up your trouble codes before you do anything else.
    I have the wiring diagram in front of me, they don't share anything other than the pcm, I have to believe you since you experienced it but if you hadn't I would not believed it without see it myself.

Red trucks are faster

Status

I have the wiring diagram in front of me, they don't share anything other than the pcm, I have to believe you since you experienced it but if you hadn't I would not believed it without see it myself.

Two things:
    1.) There are more discrepancies in the factory Dakota service manual than I can count.
    2.) The wiring diagrams do not show complete internal circuitry within the P.C.M.

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

true, it was more of an issue back in the day when folks tried to use O2 simms. Seems all trans circuits and the O2 sensor circuits all share the same grounds and a feed back loop can cause some weird issues
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

Status

Truck is a 99. I'm going to bring it back to the guy who rebuilt it a few years ago and hopefully my wallet doesn't suffer all that hard lol.

Status

Truck is a 99. I'm going to bring it back to the guy who rebuilt it a few years ago and hopefully my wallet doesn't suffer all that hard lol.
    Kind of off track from the original thread, but I have JM long tubes (yes I know so terrible waste of time blah blah) and the passenger side kissed the tranny pan and dented and cracked the lip. It's not leaking but I'll have it replaced.

Is there any way to shim the pipe to clearance it away from the pan? I know I've heard of this before but can't find much about it and have no idea how to go about doing it.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Two things:
    1.) There are more discrepancies in the factory Dakota service manual than I can count.
    2.) The wiring diagrams do not show complete internal circuitry within the P.C.M.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jassole View Post
    true, it was more of an issue back in the day when folks tried to use O2 simms. Seems all trans circuits and the O2 sensor circuits all share the same grounds and a feed back loop can cause some weird issues
    See, a shared ground would make sense, but O2 sensors on Dakotas ARE NOT! 5v referenced sensors!

Red trucks are faster

Status

Status

I'm one of those guys who had an
    02 simm toss my transmission into limp mode.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    I'm one of those guys who had an
    02 simm toss my transmission into limp mode.
    Did you retrieve the trouble codes Dave?
    Where there any transmission trouble codes such as governor pressure sensor reading incorrectly?

Status

I did have trouble codes...

PURFKED

I did have a couple transmission codes, but back then we had a decent forum with some great info, did a search, problem solved.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

"Bleach Master"

Status

LOL, a shared ground means they use a chassis ground at the same point, it would be a pcm ground though as the GPS is given a "sensor ground" from the pcm, so......

"Bleach Master"

Status

I had an O2 sim on my 2000 Dakota with zero issues and I still have an O2 sim on my 2001 Durango R/T with zero issues, so.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast