+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's the best thing to use to flawlessly clean windshield?

Status

Default What's the best thing to use to flawlessly clean windshield?

I know this isn't an exterior modification but I just want to know what others have tried. I cleaned my R/T and took it to a car show tonight. It was like 100 mile roundtrip and the whole way back at night I could see so much glare through the dirty streak filled windshield. I washed it with what I had at the house. I used some Armor All car wash, a wash mitt specifically I bought for this truck only, and a bucket I only use to wash this truck. I used a brand new in the package clean cotton towel and the Meguiar's glass cleaner spray to clean the inside of the windshield and took it with me to the show because I expected the streaks. It was so bad I had to pull over and wipe again halfway home. It's not fogging up it was streaks because they didn't come back after I wiped it again and I had the windows down instead of a/c on. The windshield isn't even a year old. It's a original manufacturer windshield I was told. I use to detail cars for a job when I was younger and I always had trouble back then getting crystal clear windows. I've used all different kinds of cleaner, mircofiber rags specific for windshield. Nothing is 100% but it seems worse in the Dakota. Maybe because it sits lower than my Ranger and the glare is worse. I know not to spray a lot of window cleaner to clean it. Has anyone had better luck using something else or cleaning a different way?

Accumulating parts...

Status

Autogeek.com

They have clay bars for windshields and great products for cleaning. They also have products to get rid of years of hard water spots etching into glass.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

I killed Goose

Status

Invisible Glass works awesome. Best glass cleaner I've ever used and most auto parts stores carry it.

7110095_hih_91164_pri_larg.jpg

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

Status

If you have a lot of shit on the windshield, go to WalMart pharmacy and buy some 90% pure isopropyl alcohol. Put it in a spray bottle and spray windshield and wipe with clean dry terry cloth towel. Then use what ever window cleaner to finish. There is a steel mill across the bay from our yard at work and they are constantly spewing shit out, and that's the only way I get my windows clean.
    Edelbrock Magnum heads, Harland-Sharp 1:6 RR, Jomar Performance Ultra-Lite Stud Girdle, SoutheastPerformance Sheet Metal Valve Covers, Custom Hyd Roller from Reed Cams, Mopar M-1 2 Brl Intake, Hughes Stage 1 TB, JBA SS Headers, Jacobs Electronics Pro Street Ignition System and Wires, MBRP 'Cuda Style Exhaust, Western Chassis 2" drop front and rear, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, Terry DeLong Pro-Glass Shaker Hood

Status

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-SUPERCLOTH...cAAOSwlfxXFi5Q My mother-in-law gave us some of these years ago. They work awesome on glass, mirrors, glass stove tops, you get the idea. No spray cleaner needed (unless the surface is really greasy). Just keep them clean. I use them on our house windows that face west into the setting sun.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

"Bleach Master"

Status

Fine steel wool and soap if windshield has heavy bugs and tar/tree sap deposits
    Bar keepers best friend
    clay bar
    invisible glass and micro fiber towel
    glass sealer or high quality wax
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

I killed Goose

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    Fine steel wool and soap if windshield has heavy bugs and tar/tree sap deposits
    Bar keepers best friend
    clay bar
    invisible glass and micro fiber towel
    glass sealer or high quality wax
    I was waiting for the inevitable Bleach comment.......you disappoint me.

Quote Originally Posted by kota360 View Post
    If you have a lot of shit on the windshield, go to WalMart pharmacy and buy some 90% pure isopropyl alcohol. Put it in a spray bottle and spray windshield and wipe with clean dry terry cloth towel. Then use what ever window cleaner to finish. There is a steel mill across the bay from our yard at work and they are constantly spewing shit out, and that's the only way I get my windows clean.
    ^This 100%

Clay bar the windshield with a light clay bar and use rubbing alcohol to clean the glass. Best thing I've used.
    1998 RC RT Black

I've used the non pumice gojo with excellent results. Works like a charm, I've never had good luck with anything else.

00 Black CC R/T- Mid Lengths, SCT, 2 BBL M1, 52x55 TB , Mopar 1.7 RR, soon to the list (4.56 gears)
    94 Stealth RT/TT - Nicest pile of shit you will ever see

Red trucks are faster

Status

Im 50 years old and in all of my years of trying different cleaners and methods, I've never in my life found anything that works as good as this shit right here:
    Goodluck finding it cause it was given to me.

20170830_104005.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

I recall mom using a product called "Glass Wax" in the 40's and 50's for Christmas window stenciling. Never found a single thing that has worked better than the stuff for cleaning windows but anything that applies as a wax or "rub" on windows is better for a more thorough cleaning.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    I recall mom using a product called "Glass Wax" in the 40's and 50's for Christmas window stenciling. Never found a single thing that has worked better than the stuff for cleaning windows but anything that applies as a wax or "rub" on windows is better for a more thorough cleaning.

How did that work out driving at night looking through the glass?? Absolutely no glare???
    Rubbing and waxing sounds like too much work for something that needs to be wiped once and done.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    How did that work out driving at night looking through the glass?? Absolutely no glare???
    Rubbing and waxing sounds like too much work for something that needs to be wiped once and done.
    Nothing is wiped "once and done" effectively or else you'd stink to high heaven.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Nothing is wiped "once and done" effectively or else you'd stink to high heaven.

Obviously you've never tried any of the Car Brite products then have you?

Obviously you've never tried any of the Car Brite products then have you?
    Not on my ass but hey, I'll give it a try.

I killed Goose

Status

Anything but Charmin upsets my hemorrhoids....

Do not use Armour All on your dash, it is oil based and will off gas in the heat sticking to your windshield. New vehicle dashes are mostly plastic and will off gas leaving the same film on your windshield. Use Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean moistened and wipe the glass several times. Then use Magic Cloth moistened and rung out dry wipe the glass, Magic Cloth will leave no water spots, it's frig'n MAGIC Cloth man! That's it, I use it inside and then do the outside, stupid clean glass with no marks or residue. New wipers help too...

Whiplash Engine & Machine, FRP Tuned
    Instagram moderator for dakota_rt_club

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggsy72 View Post
    Do not use Armour All on your dash, it is oil based and will off gas in the heat sticking to your windshield. New vehicle dashes are mostly plastic and will off gas leaving the same film on your windshield. Use Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean moistened and wipe the glass several times. Then use Magic Cloth moistened and rung out dry wipe the glass, Magic Cloth will leave no water spots, it's frig'n MAGIC Cloth man! That's it, I use it inside and then do the outside, stupid clean glass with no marks or residue. New wipers help too...
    The alcohol in armor all dry's out the dash over time and makes it more prone to cracking, also like Wiggys said the oil in armor all will off gas, shit is horrible for painters......
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Red trucks are faster

Status

Not on my ass but hey, I'll give it a try.

The topic was windshields not your face.
    back on topic.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggsy72 View Post

Never cared much for that crap. It probably been at least ten years since I've used any.

Status

When cleaning glass with caked on bugs, first look to soak the windshield in a solvent based product of your choice. I will use an awesome product by the name of "tarminator" made by stoner solutions. This will penetrate any left over acidic bug guts that may be slightly bonded to the glass. Once the windshield is free of bugs, run over the glass with a clay bar to lift any left over or hidden contaminants, the smoother the surface, the better bond you will have when applying protection such as a wax or sealant. At my shop we will also use an oil & polish remover named "eraser" this can be bought at www.carpro-us.com. Extremely easy to use and very effective for fingerprints and the cloudy inner side of windshield. After the windshield has been prepped and cleaned look to apply a protection of your choice. A sealant will help with water beading when raining & releasing of bugs when washing.

Status

Windex. FTW.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Status

Usually use Invisible Glass on the inside. Works well and doesn't harm window tint.

Outside I usually claybar to clean residue/water spots and then Rain-X to keep stuff from sticking. Once I get a good coat of Rain-X, cleaning the outside is easy with car soap and water and just re-apply every few weeks.

The gas off the plastic dash is a pain. The invisible glass will get it, but it may take several wipe downs.
    '03 Stampede Graphite Metallic Dakota R/T CC

FRP tune, M1 2bbl, HiPoTek 52mm TB, K&N 14" Filter, Headers, Flowmaster duals

Status

Im 50 years old and in all of my years of trying different cleaners and methods, I've never in my life found anything that works as good as this shit right here:
    Goodluck finding it cause it was given to me.

20170830_104005.jpg
    $5.00 a can. Not to bad.

http://www.carbrite.com/products/Ext...Glass-Cleaner/

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Clay bar, Invisible Glass Cleaner with several microfiber towels, followed by Aquapel (chit will last nearly a year) glass treatment.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast