+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 408 cam

Status

Default 408 cam

suggestions for a cam 408 with m1 and vortech supercharger 2800 stall converter. This is a daily driver and must pull a 2000 pound boat trailer combination when neccesary.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Buy another truck for towing, put real cam in 408 vortech truck, enjoy the powazzzzz!!!
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

3/4 cam if still using on street. Streets cant handle the full thing. .

Quote Originally Posted by ultrafast View Post
    suggestions for a cam 408 with m1 and vortech supercharger 2800 stall converter. This is a daily driver and must pull a 2000 pound boat trailer combination when neccesary.
    You want a truck for the street side of your compromise then. I'd get a cam not much over or approaching .500 lift and duration in the .214-.226 @ .50 range. lsa @112 on 108 cl. You have factory heads? If so, get a set of unported Engine Quest with at least 4 angle valve job and bowl blend just so you don't have to contend with cracks if you're still running originals. Your s/c and cu. ins. will carry the day for you performance wise while still having enough low end throttle response for towing. Should be a nice blend w/o being sluggish in any sense of the word (well, maybe not in Slamm's world).

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    3/4 cam if still using on street. Streets cant handle the full thing. .

I just was talking to a guy last week that said his 65 289 Falcon had a "3/4" cam. Brought a smile to my liver.

"Bleach Master"

Status

First off using a truck that has a 408 and a vortech for towing is a horrible idea, yeah you can do it but the fuel mileage and added heat to the transmission isn't worth it in my opinion. Also you will need a milder camshaft and negate having a blown 408 to begin with. My suggestions the final decision is up to you, good day!
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Supporting Vendor

Status

I'm running .540/.560 lift with 224/230 duration 114 LS in my 408/Vortech and it makes plenty of power to tow, but I wouldn't tow with mine (for multiple reasons) It's plenty streetable for a daily driver, but with 4.56 gears, gas mileage has dropped well below my SRT-4, and even my Wrangler (which has a hitch in the unlikely event I needed to tow something). I think the other posters are spot-on. JMHO.
    Glen Renzoni
    Super Dak© Etching and Decals
    '99 Solar Yellow RC Dakota R/T Supercharged 408
    '05 Orange Blast Stage 2 SRT-4 Turbocharged 2.4
    '16 Mojave Sand Mangler Unlimited Sport 3.6
    the Super Dak© Home Page
    www.totacc.com/user/glenzoni/
    (note: e-mail changed to @yahoo)

+ Reply to Thread