+ Reply to Thread

Thread: That blower resistor issue...

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Default That blower resistor issue...

So my blower resistor failed again, and the fun thing about it is that it always fails in different ways. Once I lost the high speed. Another time I lost everything but high speed, and this time I lost all speeds. So I got a replacement and it worked, but becauseI tested it out before screwing it in I was able to see how hot it got. The wires leading to it were hot inches away, and eventually it started putting out a burnt plastic smell which led to smoke.

I took it back and got another, and this one gets the wires hot several inches from the resistor. I know these trucks eat these things, but is this beyond the abnormal for these trucks?

I also dropped the fan and it was half full of leaves!

It was probably a mistake but I put dielectric grease on the old resistor and that stuff seems to have gunked up in it. Anyway to clean out a molex plug?

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

maybe your blower motor is causing excessive amp draw
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

v14 Mopar Mullet

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jassole View Post
    maybe your blower motor is causing excessive amp draw
    That ended up getting mentioned on Facebook, and it seems plausible. It's 15 years old and is always running when the truck is running, and I believe I may have worn it out a lot recently because it got packed full of leaves.

Old thread but yes it is high resistance in blower motor. Motor is dragging in lower bushing. .an old old trick is to drill a very small hole in the bottom of blower motor , in the bubble wher the lowers bushing is and drop 3 in one oil. Did that in 2012 the original blower is still going and I haven’t burned a resistor since.

+ Reply to Thread