+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Start from scratch nitrous

How much leeway will I have for nitrous activation from the cock pit? Say I want to merge from an on ramp and or pass someone within a small time frame, can I engage nitrous safely or is it simply not an entity to be on call such as I describe?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    How much leeway will I have for nitrous activation from the cock pit? Say I want to merge from an on ramp and or pass someone within a small time frame, can I engage nitrous safely or is it simply not an entity to be on call such as I describe?
    Not really feasible, and likely illegal in all 50 states.

Disregarding the illegality, you should remember that you're sharing the road with others. You'd be taking an awful lot of chances by spraying while maneuvering your truck around other (unpredictable) drivers.

Even with a baby shot, you'd need your bottle to be opened, and your tank to be at the right pressure/temperature. You'd also want to purge your line before spraying. Doesn't that seem like a lot of BS to do before your daily commute?

Having your system armed while joyriding mostly vacant roads would be different than the "practical" scenario you described.

Quote Originally Posted by SnipeRT View Post
    Doesn't that seem like a lot of BS to do before your daily commute?
    Crap yes. I wonder who the brain child was who made nitrous illegal as if one is carrying an atom bomb. Super chargers and turbos are ok. A bottle blow up or two during an accident or something and injure emt's somewhere?

I'd say it's probably illegal because people would be using it to get their ego boost just blowing everyday commuters off the road. I like fast cars and trucks but it doesn't belong on the highways with family and friend going about their daily lives. Just trying to get home safely each day. How would you feel if someone fired off a shot of nitrous just to pass the next car in front of them and wiped out your whole family in one tragic accident? Take it to the track And let it rip. If it goes bad then no innocent children get hurt.

"Bleach Master"

Status

WoW, this thread really took an "interesting" turn, lets ring this back on topic shall we.

Nitrous is only "unsafe" when not properly tuned, most people still believe the myth "rich is safe" bullshit!! Those people obviously don't understand how an internal combustion engine works.

Some people will say "you don't need to pull timing on a small 150 shot" those people are also ignorant!

Now, if you want to run a spray bar style nitrous plate on the air gap intake manifold you will need to notch the plenum divider for proper distribution.
    if you run the NX magnum specific plate then you will not need to worry about notching the plenum divider.

Since you are new to nitrous you can run a window switch set-up that is programmable to come on and off at certain rpm settings and if the throttle percentage is below a specified threshold.

Or you can go old school and run a WOT switch on the throttle body with a double redundant button on the steering wheel so you can control nitrous application with your thumb but also have the safety of the WOT switch to kill nitrous when you let off the throttle.

Don't cross parts on a nitrous kit unless you are in a more advanced tuning experience as the jetting is set by the manufacture according to the plate and solenoid orifice size. You may here people say "the NX jetting works with NOS solenoids also" they are stupid!
    The only way to truly tune and know what is going on is to read your plugs! Look on NX website they have a great video explaining how to read spark plugs for nitrous tuning.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

^^^

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateBanjo View Post
    I'd say it's probably illegal because people would be using it to get their ego boost just blowing everyday commuters off the road. I like fast cars and trucks but it doesn't belong on the highways with family and friend going about their daily lives. Just trying to get home safely each day. How would you feel if someone fired off a shot of nitrous just to pass the next car in front of them and wiped out your whole family in one tragic accident? Take it to the track And let it rip. If it goes bad then no innocent children get hurt.
    Nope. I discover it is mostly illegal as it is considered a controlled substance. Thanks or the safety lecture. You do get a bit dramatic in your attempted guilt trip however.

It would have been more helpful to say it differently. I have driven 10 and 11 second cars on the street. Once spooled, turbo's come in very fast. If you are trying to say that the advent of nitrous happens even more violently that its usage is ill advised on the street, that would be more than sufficient. Now if you can chime in with any knowledge that helps answer my next questions, feel free.
    Last edited by arro222; 06-18-2017 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    WoW, this thread really took an "interesting" turn, lets ring this back on topic shall we.

Nitrous is only "unsafe" when not properly tuned, most people still believe the myth "rich is safe" bullshit!! Those people obviously don't understand how an internal combustion engine works.

Some people will say "you don't need to pull timing on a small 150 shot" those people are also ignorant!

Now, if you want to run a spray bar style nitrous plate on the air gap intake manifold you will need to notch the plenum divider for proper distribution.
    if you run the NX magnum specific plate then you will not need to worry about notching the plenum divider.

Since you are new to nitrous you can run a window switch set-up that is programmable to come on and off at certain rpm settings and if the throttle percentage is below a specified threshold.

Or you can go old school and run a WOT switch on the throttle body with a double redundant button on the steering wheel so you can control nitrous application with your thumb but also have the safety of the WOT switch to kill nitrous when you let off the throttle.

Don't cross parts on a nitrous kit unless you are in a more advanced tuning experience as the jetting is set by the manufacture according to the plate and solenoid orifice size. You may here people say "the NX jetting works with NOS solenoids also" they are stupid!
    The only way to truly tune and know what is going on is to read your plugs! Look on NX website they have a great video explaining how to read spark plugs for nitrous tuning.
    That's helpful Chad. 1. Is there anything currently available to dial back timing from the cockpit? 2. If running a 100-150 set up, can the amount of hp be proportioned with an intervention device to say afford 25 more hp or is it an all or nothing scenario? I desire the safest scenario possible and I do not care if I spend 2k to get it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2