+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 Speed Fan Wiring

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

Default 2 Speed Fan Wiring

I want to use 2 speed electric fan's out of Ford Taurus'...Tauri?...Tauren? I drew up this Wiring diagram so the fans would automatically have power available with ignition on, but the high and low speed would be controlled by temp switches, and I could still over ride to the high speed with a switch, does anyone see a flaw in my wiring? or have suggestions?

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

Status

Just realized the jumper connecting both temp switch grounds to the over ride would essentially by pass the high speed switch and activate it when the low speed should only be on. I'd need 2 switches to be able to use high speed, or have a switch with dual contacts that are isolated from each other.

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Status

I would run separate power feeds to both relays. If something would happen to the first relay, the fan wouldn't work at all. The override switch would close both relays, applying power to both high and low terminals of the fan. I'm not sure what the fan would do, but I imagine fan would run on high speed. You could wire your override to run high speed only or get like a 2 speed heater blower switch if you want manual control of both speeds.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by wdh681 View Post
    I would run separate power feeds to both relays. If something would happen to the first relay, the fan wouldn't work at all. The override switch would close both relays, applying power to both high and low terminals of the fan. I'm not sure what the fan would do, but I imagine fan would run on high speed. You could wire your override to run high speed only or get like a 2 speed heater blower switch if you want manual control of both speeds.
    I'm not sure if powering both terminals simultaneously is detrimental to the motors life or not.

Status

I read somewhere that yes, it is bad to power both Hi & Lo speeds at the same time. hollisterroad.com makes great relay setups!
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Status

I believe I found the cheapest solution for running a Taurus/Lincoln 2 speed fan. Best part is it's idiot proof. they also sell and indicator led to tell you which circuit is being powered.

http://www.dccontrol.com/relay_controllers.htm

or if one want's to get fancy they could go with the PWM controller which modulates pulse width (turning the curcuit of and on really fast) to essentially make the fan have infinite speeds. ramping the fan speed up or down to maintain a constant temperature.

http://www.dccontrol.com/constant_te...ontrollers.htm

Status

Quote Originally Posted by wdh681 View Post
    I agree, separate power feeds to both relays. I would only run the override switch to the hi power fan, since going into override you'll probably only want the high speed for an override situation. Or, like you said, get a 2 position switch. Nice to have full control of everything.
    '03 Stampede Graphite Metallic Dakota R/T CC

FRP tune, M1 2bbl, HiPoTek 52mm TB, K&N 14" Filter, Headers, Flowmaster duals

I like free kittens

Status

Your diagram won't work.

Key on, cold engine, high speed will come on.

Hit 200, the fan turns off. Fans won't come on again until the temp drops to 185

On the first relay, switch from 87 to 87a. That will be an open relay until the temp sender hits 200, then the gate will pull to the coil and close the switch to send power to the second relay.

Currently the second relay will power high speed first, until you hit 210, then the sender closes and charges the coil in the second, and pulls the relay to the low speed fan--switch the 2 wires (87 and 87a) and it will work how you want.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

I like free kittens

Status

Relays are an electromagnet switch. When the coil energizes from the sending unit closing, it becomes a magnet and pulls the contact towards it. It does not push the contact away from it.

This is assuming you drew the picture correct. I didn't verify that
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Black Pearl

Status

Here's a Viper schematic. Perhaps it'll work.

Viper Fan Wiring Diagram.jpg
    If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Osee View Post
    I believe I found the cheapest solution for running a Taurus/Lincoln 2 speed fan. Best part is it's idiot proof. they also sell and indicator led to tell you which circuit is being powered.

http://www.dccontrol.com/relay_controllers.htm

or if one want's to get fancy they could go with the PWM controller which modulates pulse width (turning the curcuit of and on really fast) to essentially make the fan have infinite speeds. ramping the fan speed up or down to maintain a constant temperature.

http://www.dccontrol.com/constant_te...ontrollers.htm
    I ordered from them before I went with the Hollister Road setup. I waited a month for the controller, started emailing them about it, they said they were backed up with orders. I waited a couple more wks with no contact from them. So, after 2 mos asked for a refund. I got the refund OK, so ordered the other setup.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    I ordered from them before I went with the Hollister Road setup. I waited a month for the controller, started emailing them about it, they said they were backed up with orders. I waited a couple more wks with no contact from them. So, after 2 mos asked for a refund. I got the refund OK, so ordered the other setup.
    Thanks for the heads up

Red trucks are faster

Status

Why only 2 speeds??????
    Throw a pot switch in there and be totally variable.
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

+ Reply to Thread