+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Painting fender flares?

Default Painting fender flares?

How much paint do i need to order for painting my fender flares ( 4 flares and 2 small pieces ) in Patriot blue PB7 1999. Which company matches the factory colour the best ?

Home School Valedictorian

Status

I believe the factory paint is PPG. A pint of quality base with reducer and activator should cover your pieces.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

I like free kittens

Status

Are we talking real paint or spray bomb half assed? Spray bomb 2 cans clear and cooor should do ya. Real paint you likely only need a cup plus reducer but I've only ever been able to get a quart mixed. So you'll have a ton left over
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Quote Originally Posted by 9t9-5.2 View Post
    I believe the factory paint is PPG. A pint of quality base with reducer and activator should cover your pieces.
    Thanks , I did a quick search on internet and your correct PPG is the brand Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Filbert View Post
    Are we talking real paint or spray bomb half assed? Spray bomb 2 cans clear and cooor should do ya. Real paint you likely only need a cup plus reducer but I've only ever been able to get a quart mixed. So you'll have a ton left over
    I was thinking of real paint But what do you think is best to do because my truck also needs a repaint but i dont have the budget for that at the moment because i am saving my money for heads cam etc. But i do like to put the fender flares on the truck .I was thinking to order a (pint) or quart like you mentioned of PPG and bring the flares to the painter, but i also can paint them myself with a spray bomb . Do you know which brand spray bomb matches so it look nice until i get the whole truck repaint . Thank you

I like free kittens

Status

I only use spray bomb for small stuff (like fender flares, brake calipers, etc) and even then, only for the color. I mix up 2-part clear coat and spray it with my gun. Gives a nicer, more durable finish.

If you don't have a compressor or hvlp guns, then call your painter. I'd ask him up front if it will save you anything to provide the paint or if it's better to have him provide it, some painters prefer to only use a certain line of paint because they know how to mix it already, and it's compatible with any primers or sealers they use, Also, sometimes a painter can get paint cheaper than you can due to the amount of volume they order week in and week out.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

I only use spray bomb for small stuff (like fender flares, brake calipers, etc) and even then, only for the color. I mix up 2-part clear coat and spray it with my gun. Gives a nicer, more durable finish.

If you don't have a compressor or hvlp guns, then call your painter. I'd ask him up front if it will save you anything to provide the paint or if it's better to have him provide it, some painters prefer to only use a certain line of paint because they know how to mix it already, and it's compatible with any primers or sealers they use, Also, sometimes a painter can get paint cheaper than you can due to the amount of volume they order week in and week out.
    I dont have a air compressor or hvlp guns I think i will order the PPG paint from the United States . Everytime i get something painted by them the colour dont match ,thats why i would like to purchased the paint myself and give it to the painters. Thank you

Status

The color probably wont match since your truck is close to 20 years old. A pint is plenty. If you don't have experience painting take it to a paint shop and pay them the $250 to paint it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewr/t View Post
    The color probably wont match since your truck is close to 20 years old. A pint is plenty. If you don't have experience painting take it to a paint shop and pay them the $250 to paint it.
    Thanks your right the colour will not match because my paint is fading and the clear on the hood also. previous owner also repaint the truck but not good . i will bring my flares to a paintshop and let them paint my flares. i will mount the flares on my truck and then save some money to do a complete paintjob
    Thank you

Status

You can get two part clear coat in a rattle can.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    You can get two part clear coat in a rattle can.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp
    Thank you very much . i have been thinking and i am going to order the paint from this website and paint my flares myself and mount them on my truck . i am much cheaper than bring the flares to the painter . i have to pay 100 euro a piece and now i can order the paint myself because the link you provided , thank you when i am ready to do the whole truck i will order the PPG paint and let the paintshop paint my truck .

I like free kittens

Status

yikes. I can buy a quart of clear and hardener for $50. Leaves me enough clear to do 2 coats on about 30 flares mix up just what I need and spray it with my gun. Makes me glad I have a cheap harbor freight compressor and hvlp guns.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

What size is your compressor?
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

I like free kittens

Status

Small.

Like, 30 gallon. 110v. Direct drive oiled crankcase from harbor freight. I bought it in 2004 as my 'first entry level air compressor' with the intention of upgrading once it crapped out. But it hasn't crapped out. I don't remember the CFM ratings on it but it's not much.

I've done a lot of paint work with it, but would hesitate to use it for a full vehicle paint. Engines, wheels, hoods, etc no problem. It will run an impact wrench but I wouldn't use it for an air powered die grinder or cutoff wheels. I paid $100 back in 04 for it.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

yikes. I can buy a quart of clear and hardener for $50. Leaves me enough clear to do 2 coats on about 30 flares mix up just what I need and spray it with my gun. Makes me glad I have a cheap harbor freight compressor and hvlp guns.
    I went to 4 paintshops and the one that ask me 100 euro a piece was the cheapest total i need to pay 400 euro 's and wait about 4 weeks . i will order the spray cans from the link and paint them myself . eventually i will purchased a hvlp gun and a aircompressor so i can do most of the work myself . i also need to purchased 3m tape for the flares . i am much cheaper buying my stuff in the USA . at the moment my truck is eating all my money .Dodge is very expensive here in the netherlands . a few days ago i saw for the first time a hellcat it was for sale for 200.000 euro the same dealer also had a scatpack that was priced for 165.000 euro . usually when i order big items only shipping is killing me but even then i am cheaper . When i purchased the flares i also bought runningboards but when i received them they where rusted out . my front brakes also leave me stranded last week . at the end of this month when i received my money i will order the spraycans . Thanks

Small.

Like, 30 gallon. 110v. Direct drive oiled crankcase from harbor freight. I bought it in 2004 as my 'first entry level air compressor' with the intention of upgrading once it crapped out. But it hasn't crapped out. I don't remember the CFM ratings on it but it's not much.

I've done a lot of paint work with it, but would hesitate to use it for a full vehicle paint. Engines, wheels, hoods, etc no problem. It will run an impact wrench but I wouldn't use it for an air powered die grinder or cutoff wheels. I paid $100 back in 04 for it.
    $100 is a very good price and it still works after 13 years thats a really good compressor usually compressors dont last that long . i was looking for the ingersoll garage mate but that is priced at $550 at northern tool as i also would like to use powertools as i get tired with wrestling on my truck sometimes

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

I've got an 80 gallon IR twin-stage in the new shop and I'm not sure I ever managed with the 30+ year old Sears 20 gallon I was using before, I guess I just didn't know any better.

I used krylon fusion since this paint is intended for plastics.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Is Krylon Fusion available in factory colors?

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

+ Reply to Thread