+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upper Control Arms

Default Upper Control Arms

I planned on replacing the front end of my Dakota with Moog parts but I've run into a snag. Moog only makes upper control arms for 4WD Dakotas. Can anyone give me suggestions as to another company that makes good suspension products, including upper control arms? Thanks for your continued help!
    Jim

1998 Dakota Sport
    5.2L 5-spd
    3.92 rear
    GTS Viper Style Ram Air Hood
    Viper hood ornament
    Original Equipment Factory Roll Pan
    MBRP Cat-back Exhaust
    Grillcraft grill inserts
    Custom two-tone paint
    Custom logos and striping

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Why don't you rebuild yours?

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Quote Originally Posted by 9t9-5.2 View Post
    Why don't you rebuild yours?
    X2. I used moog parts in my rebuilt arms

Rebuilding the arms seems the better choice.

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

rebuilt my own with moog and energy suspension components. getting the old bushings out is a bitch without a torch
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

Status

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaJim View Post
    I planned on replacing the front end of my Dakota with Moog parts but I've run into a snag. Moog only makes upper control arms for 4WD Dakotas. Can anyone give me suggestions as to another company that makes good suspension products, including upper control arms? Thanks for your continued help!
    Check out your options on rockauto.com

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...trol+arm,10401
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Guys,

I appreciate your help. but I was trying to replace the part because like Hugh Jassole said, "Getting the old bushings out is a bitch without a torch". And I don't have a torch.

99dart,

Thanks for the list, but if you close at it closely, there is not one choice of upper control arms for a RWD Dakota, they are all for 4WD. As most Dakotas are RWD, it's surprising to me that all of the major companies sell a 4WD version but not a RWD version.

Thanks again!
    Jim

1998 Dakota Sport
    5.2L 5-spd
    3.92 rear
    Viper hood ornament
    MBRP Cat-back Exhaust
    Grillcraft grill inserts
    Custom two-tone paint

R/T Lives Matter

Status

some of the old bushings really are not that hard to get out. I just did all my bushings with energy suspension parts and it was a fairly painless process. On the other hand, sometimes they are a BITCH to get, you don't really know until you get in there
    99 R/T
    The never ending project

Back in black

Status

You could always pull the arms yourself and have a shop get the old bushings out (and install new ones if need be) then reinstall the arms yourself.

Bowman24,

Thanks for your insight. Digging in, I'd guess, is the only way.

WeezyRT,

That makes sense!

Thanks everybody for your help!
    Jim

1998 Dakota Sport
    5.2L 5-spd
    3.92 rear
    Viper hood ornament
    MBRP Cat-back Exhaust
    Grillcraft grill inserts
    Custom two-tone paint

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

Buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And pick up a small propane cylinder from Lowe's for $10 and you're good. It's really not that hard.

R/T Lives Matter

Status

Nitroram hit it right on the nuts
    99 R/T
    The never ending project

Thanks, I'll let you guys know how I made out.
    Jim

1998 Dakota Sport
    5.2L 5-spd
    3.92 rear
    Viper hood ornament
    MBRP Cat-back Exhaust
    Grillcraft grill inserts
    Custom two-tone paint

I drilled several 1/2" holes thru the rubber bushing before torching it, it collapsed pretty quick

Status

What I do is move the torch around a bit at first to soft things up, then hold it in a spot about an inch from the end until the rubber starts oozing out then you can start moving the torch around again to different spots. The rubber should ooze out pretty fast once you've done it once and then once you do that in a couple spots on both sides you can poke the bushing out pretty easily with a screwdriver and use a bit of sandpaper to smooth out the holes. Take about five minutes per bushing once you get it down.

See, that's why I ask questions. I might be biting off more than I can chew but you've, at least, raised my confidence level. Thanks!
    Jim

1998 Dakota Sport
    5.2L 5-spd
    3.92 rear
    Viper hood ornament
    MBRP Cat-back Exhaust
    Grillcraft grill inserts
    Custom two-tone paint

Autozone carries 2wd upper arms complete lifetime warranty been on my 2001 2years no problem. Beats having permenent lung damage from burning bushings out and ,alot easier

Same time cut springs with side grinder lower front.

must396,

The upper control arms at Autozone don't fit my 1998. Thanks!
    Jim

1998 Dakota Sport
    5.2L 5-spd
    3.92 rear
    Viper hood ornament
    MBRP Cat-back Exhaust
    Grillcraft grill inserts
    Custom two-tone paint

Panty Dropper

Status
    Customized from head to toe. Truck Trend Magazine Favorite Show Truck From SEMA 2010, Featured in Truck Trend Mag Feb 2011, Feature Article CarAudio Mag and Featured in CarAudio Mag SEMA booth 2010. Truckin Magazine Full Feature issue 12, 2011 & Truckin Magazine Truck of the Year, Named 2012 Mopar Top Eliminator by Chrysler Corporation, Full feature and interview on Solo Films DVD Inspired Lifestyle. Sponsored by Memphis Car Audio, Tuff Stuff Performance, Taylor Wires, Viar Corp, Continental Tires, K&N, North Star Battery & Monzter MotorSports.

A Custom Truck is not created by how big your wallet is. It's the hands on effort you apply from your own ideas. Only then can it be called Custom-- Dynamic Installs

Status

So I kept my original 99 R/T lower control arms and I had to rebuild my uppers for the same reason not being able to find replacements. But I used all Mopar stuff on the rebuild and it's barely got 1,500 miles and I can see the bushings already splitting. I imagine a lot is to do with the person who did the front end rebuild. I'm thinking they tightened it all in the air on the rack so everything got squished before weight was on it. So I want to do my original lower control arms in urethane bushings from Prothane or Energy Suspension because they have held up very well on my 73 Charger. However, if I want to have a pair of upper control arms already rebuilt and ready to bolt on what do I need to get them from? Does it specifically have to be another 99 R/T Dakota or just a 99 Dakota 2wd? I notice by Chrysler part #s that in 99 the R/T Dakotas only had one part# for both upper control arms. In 2000 they all changed to two different part numbers, one for each side, which interchange for new aftermarket control arms in Moog. What's the difference between 99 upper control arms and 2000+? I'm guessing maybe the ball joint socket size?

Status

Pre-2000 have a straight cross bar:

s-l1600.jpg

2000+ are not:

s-l500.jpg

Status

Balljoints are a bit different too, but early control arms will work with later spindles and vice versa.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Quote Originally Posted by wh23g3g View Post
    So I kept my original 99 R/T lower control arms and I had to rebuild my uppers for the same reason not being able to find replacements. But I used all Mopar stuff on the rebuild and it's barely got 1,500 miles and I can see the bushings already splitting. I imagine a lot is to do with the person who did the front end rebuild. I'm thinking they tightened it all in the air on the rack so everything got squished before weight was on it. So I want to do my original lower control arms in urethane bushings from Prothane or Energy Suspension because they have held up very well on my 73 Charger. However, if I want to have a pair of upper control arms already rebuilt and ready to bolt on what do I need to get them from? Does it specifically have to be another 99 R/T Dakota or just a 99 Dakota 2wd? I notice by Chrysler part #s that in 99 the R/T Dakotas only had one part# for both upper control arms. In 2000 they all changed to two different part numbers, one for each side, which interchange for new aftermarket control arms in Moog. What's the difference between 99 upper control arms and 2000+? I'm guessing maybe the ball joint socket size?
    There isn't any difference in control arms from an R/T to a regular 2wd.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

I saw these on Ebay and asked http://www.ebay.com/itm/RWD-2WD-Uppe...FZeM9C&vxp=mtr. They said they will fit a 1999 either side. Which is true according to the oem number they are both the same on a 99 probably 98 too. But after that they shared their own part number. They never did tell me if they were remanufactured or what aftermarket brand they are so I can't say they will actually fit. I'm going to get some spares off of another 99 to have ready like I did for my lowers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast