+ Reply to Thread

Thread: R/T Drivetrain Swap

Status

Default R/T Drivetrain Swap

I have two Dakotas.
    Truck #1 - 2002 2wd Sport standard cab with the 4.7 V8. Only options were cruise, AM/FM Cassette and A/C. 175K miles but all highway. Absolute creampuff.

Truck #2 - 1999 R/T Extended Cab. Power everything. 185K miles and beat to a pulp. Body is relatively clean but has had 13 owners (you read correct), been in 7 accidents, one of which totaled her so she has a wrecker title, Shakes at 70 mph, burns a quart of oil about every 4-6 tanks of gas but doesn't blow smoke and still runs pretty healthy. Doors don't close well, it's a Bondo bucket, terrible black metallic paint over the original solar yellow, rattle canned engine bay with no masking job... and worst of all, when it was totaled, the front lower control arm mount was ripped off the frame and another was welded very poorly in its place. To add insult to injury, the trans blew out last winter.

My first inclination was to sell this "Christine" of a truck and let it be someone else's problem. With a dead transmission and wrecker title, I doubt I will get the value of the parts for her (I only paid $1,800 for her two years ago), so I started considering refreshing the motor and doing a complete swap of the R/T's drivetrain and other options to Truck #1.

That said, here are some questions.
    1. Will the engine harness and ECM from the '99 R/T swap into the 2002 Sport?
    2. Using the R/T's engine mounts, will it bolt in?
    3. Are the transmissions the same?
    4. Is the torque converter the same?
    5. Will the Sport's drive shaft fit the R/T's rearend?
    6. If I can find electric door panels, will the electric locks and windows plug and play?
    7. What modifications will I have to do to make the conversion happen?
    8. Does the R/T engine have special components internally or externally from the standard 5.9?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

Completely different harness & computer setup. The hot ticket would be to ditch the R/T and take the money from that and Hemi swap the 2002. You can even reuse most of the harness and the 4.7 PCM
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

I killed Goose

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jassole View Post
    Completely different harness & computer setup. The hot ticket would be to ditch the R/T and take the money from that and Hemi swap the 2002. You can even reuse most of the harness and the 4.7 PCM
    Ditto ^

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jassole View Post
    Wow! No kidding? I figured the Hemi would require a completely different set up. I really like that idea, especially from a mileage standpoint. A 5.7 would get me way better economy. I saw a couple Hemi swap threads here but didn't even look. Thanks for the advice.

Status

I went back and did a live search for "Hemi swap and none of the threads were about an actual hemi swap but one that had already happened or someone thinking about it... So with that, does anyone here have any concrete information on how to do this swap step by step?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I went back and did a live search for "Hemi swap and none of the threads were about an actual hemi swap but one that had already happened or someone thinking about it... So with that, does anyone here have any concrete information on how to do this swap step by step?
    Contact Madboy on here, maybe he can provide some info...

'78 Chrysler LeBaron - Gone
    '84 Dodge 600 - Gone
    '96 Dodge Avenger I-4 5 Spd - Gone
    '05 Neon SRT4 - Gone
    '05 Dodge Magnum RT- Gone
    '00 Dak RT- Now in TX
    '12 Challenger SRT8 - Gone
    '16 Charger Scat Pack- Gone
    '22 Ram Rebel 1500

+ Reply to Thread