+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's the difference?

Hybrid View

Default What's the difference?

Its been told to me that just about any combination of heads, cam and intake will make around 325 rwhp with a tune and stock bottom. That being the case, I'm thinking I do not have to go crazy with these items as it applies to head flow (258 @ 500) or valve size, (2.02 tops) cam spec (duration 210-220/lift .535/lsa 112) or anything else as it applies to tb (52) or intake cfm (250-260). With a 150 shot, I should do low to mid twelves with tires and chassis work on this 4480 lb cc vehicle with me in it no?

#BECAUSERACETRUCK

Status

Saying any head/cam/intake combo will make 325 on a 150 shot is kind of a broad statement. all the cam in the word doesn't mean jack if your heads cant handle it. and all the power in the world doesnt matter if you cant get it to the ground. Start looking into shocks and cal traks if you want to get into the 12s

"Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Quote Originally Posted by Slowkoda View Post
    Saying any head/cam/intake combo will make 325 on a 150 shot is kind of a broad statement. all the cam in the word doesn't mean jack if your heads cant handle it. and all the power in the world doesnt matter if you cant get it to the ground. Start looking into shocks and cal traks if you want to get into the 12s
    None the less, as broad as it sounds, it's what i've been told by members here especially the one's who have dynoed an array of builds. I believe you're mis reading my post. What I included numbers wise, is basically about as small as you can get with bolt ons. The gist of my question has to do that if one is going the power adder route, one doesn't seem to have to go over board with bolt on specs. Could one go faster with stage 3 heads or a larger cam or 4 brl m1 and 55-58 tb? ...of course but at what cost to streetability as a daily driver? I'm just happy jumping into the 12's as a daily and if that's the case, I'm thinking I can be on the smaller side of bolt on specs with a 150 shot. Traction being a given.

#BECAUSERACETRUCK

Status

As long as you jet it right 325 should be very do-able with minimal bolt ons.

"Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you"

#BECAUSERACETRUCK

Status

gotcha. 325 should be easy to make with a 150. More offten than not i see people sinking money in places they dont need to to make the desired power. I think a 4 bbl m1 would be over kill to make that kind of power. I was making close to that with a 150 stock everything besides headers tune and intake.

Status

You guys are seriously overthinking this.

Most of the aftermarket Magnum heads flow about the same........240-260 on intake side give or take.
    Most everyone uses the same intake manifolds........255-280 cfm at the runner
    Most everyone is using similiar throttle bodies........750-1000 cfm
    Most everyone is using the same or similiar header/exhaust combo, with minimal variation.....

Deductive reasoning suggests that if there is minimal variation between the parts, there should be minimal variation in the results!

The biggest differences I see in a HCI build that makes 300 whp vs. 360 whp is porting, exhaust setup, and camshaft profile. And to a lesser extent, who tuned it.

a 150 kit should make 450 whp all day long.

I did a bolt on 360 (stock longblock, kegger)....with a 150 wet shot and one of my FRP Nitrous Flashes it made 360/440.
    RYAN/TUNED

Got questions?!? Get the answers ->>> http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread
    For fastest response please text or email at ryan@frptuning.com ,please no PM's!!!

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinRyan View Post

Most of the aftermarket Magnum heads flow about the same........240-260 on intake side give or take.
    Most everyone uses the same intake manifolds........255-280 cfm at the runner
    Most everyone is using similiar throttle bodies........750-1000 cfm
    Most everyone is using the same or similiar header/exhaust combo, with minimal variation.....

Deductive reasoning suggests that if there is minimal variation between the parts, there should be minimal variation in the results!

The biggest differences I see in a HCI build that makes 300 whp vs. 360 whp is porting, exhaust setup, and camshaft profile. And to a lesser extent, who tuned it.

a 150 kit should make 450 whp all day long.

I did a bolt on 360 (stock longblock, kegger)....with a 150 wet shot and one of my FRP Nitrous Flashes it made 360/440.
    Almost like you've done this before

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinRyan View Post

And this is exactly the same conclusion I came to. In actuality, it was your past inputs that made me come around to this way of simplification. My biggest juggle was not to make this truck a slug or street lazy by going too large with bolt ons. With a 150 shot from a well built nitrous system, I don't have to use bigger parts and still go 12's with a button push. I just have to figure where to put the bottle. I do not feature it being in with me and actually, don't feature it being in the bed either.

+ Reply to Thread