+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why is there SS/T wheels on R/T in February 1998 Sport Truck article?

Status

Default Why is there SS/T wheels on R/T in February 1998 Sport Truck article?

I've been buying as many old magazines with Dakota R/T articles in them for information to make some kind of display to use at car shows. I've so far come up with 4 magazines. They are: Autoweek March 2, 1998, Hot Rod August 1998, Motor Trend December, 1999, and Sport Truck February 1998. In the Sport Truck magazine it shows a 1998 Flame Red Dakota R/T they tested but it had Ram SS/T wheels instead of the normal R/T wheels. Were they suppose to have the SS/T wheels originally? I like the normal R/T wheels better anyway. I just thought it looked strange to see it in the magazine and that was the first year of the R/T. They weren't as fast from the factory as I thought they were. The Autoweek doesn't really give it too much coverage, Hot Rod magazine posted the best 1/4 mile time of 14.85 at 91 MPH manually shifting the automatic. That was the most impressive for the stock Dakota R/T. The Motor Trend tested a 1999 Solar Yellow Extended Cab which ran 16.00 at 85.7 MPH and the writer really thought the truck was embarrassing. Finally Sport Truck was the one that had the 98 with the SS/T wheels and it ran a 16.17 at 83.15 MPH. They actually did state that they did an off idle launch. I imagine the Motor Trend tester did too and Hot Rod said they found out the best RPM to launch. I've got a lot of Mopar Muscle issues with Dakota R/T features but I was looking for reviews of the years of the Dakota R/T not modifications. I do remember I have one Mopar Muscle article on a Dakota R/T review where they ran like a 14.90 or something like that launching at 1500 RPM. I think they were testing removing the air filter or something like that. Anyone know of any other issues where they do the reviews like these?

Status

'78 Chrysler LeBaron - Gone
    '84 Dodge 600 - Gone
    '96 Dodge Avenger I-4 5 Spd - Gone
    '05 Neon SRT4 - Gone
    '05 Dodge Magnum RT- Gone
    '00 Dak RT- Now in TX
    '12 Challenger SRT8 - Gone
    '16 Charger Scat Pack- Gone
    '22 Ram Rebel 1500

Panty Dropper

Status
    Customized from head to toe. Truck Trend Magazine Favorite Show Truck From SEMA 2010, Featured in Truck Trend Mag Feb 2011, Feature Article CarAudio Mag and Featured in CarAudio Mag SEMA booth 2010. Truckin Magazine Full Feature issue 12, 2011 & Truckin Magazine Truck of the Year, Named 2012 Mopar Top Eliminator by Chrysler Corporation, Full feature and interview on Solo Films DVD Inspired Lifestyle. Sponsored by Memphis Car Audio, Tuff Stuff Performance, Taylor Wires, Viar Corp, Continental Tires, K&N, North Star Battery & Monzter MotorSports.

A Custom Truck is not created by how big your wallet is. It's the hands on effort you apply from your own ideas. Only then can it be called Custom-- Dynamic Installs

Black Pearl

Status

I've seen Josh's truck up close n personal. It's sick!
    If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by X_HAWAII RT View Post
    Hey lol thats my truck in the video towards the bottom of the page where it says Dakota 5.9 R/T drag race!!

All Bolt-ons, Heads, Cam, Gears, Stall, Hotchkis, Drag Radials
    365rwhp, 370ft-lbs
    Low 12's @ 110mph

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    Hey lol thats my truck in the video towards the bottom of the page where it says Dakota 5.9 R/T drag race!!
    Sent you a pm but didn't take as you have not cleared space enuf. Just wondering if you use your truck as a daily driver and how it's street manners are. Like the fact you're doing 12's with no power adder.

Status

Oh ok I cleared out some messages just now. Its not really a daily driver anymore but basically it sorta is sometimes. Sometimes I wont drive it for a 3-4 weeks other times ill drive it every day for like 2 weeks. Street manors are good. The converter is a little loose so that makes it use more gas around town and its pretty loud but other than that its fine lol.

I'd love to get to an 11.99 without a power adder but I dont think I can get it there unless I did some big weight reduction. The 12.7 I ran in my sig was back in that video over 4 years ago. Since then I havent raced cause I havent really done much to the truck... I added the march 25% underdrive pulley with a 15% overdrive alt pulley to help with the charge, I replaced stock battery with a 17lb Braille battery, removed the spare tire cable thing, got a slightly bigger air filter to replace the k&n gen 2 kit filter, and thats really about it. So maybe in ideal conditions Id get a 12.30-12.40 so somehow I need to either find 30hp or lose 300lbs outta somewhere lol. I was trying to do it in a way thats not temporary like tailgate removal or front skinnys or nitrous but I really cant think of much.

365rwhp, 370ft-lbs
    Low 12's @ 110mph

Status

Your truck description sounds almost identical to mine. first outting 12.90's @ Bremerton
    K&N Gen 2--- Now have extreme open element sealed to the cowl
    F&B 55x52mm--- Check
    M1 4bbl ported--- ported 2 bbl M1
    SCT/Hemifever--- now an FRP tune
    Crower 1.7s--- check
    PPH Headers--- check
    2½ Magnaflow xpipe/mufflers--- Hooker aero chambers
    Accel Cap/Rotor/Coil--- check, MSD coil
    Brembos & Hawks--- nope
    MSD 8.5mm Wires--- Firecore
    NGK 4291s--- NGK 5913
    Meziere 170º stat--- NAPA 180
    224/230 536/544 110+4--- Comp 224/230 570/578 106
    ShadyDell Stage 3 Eddys--- Shadydell R/T 1.92
    Mopar Lifters---Danno semi-solids
    Hotchkis/Bilstien---stock/Bilstein
    4.56's/Detroit TruTrac--- check
    MSaine 46re--- local custom HD build
    Viper 3600 stall--- MS 3600
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Status

wow our trucks are so close its crazy. same color and cab config.... and we both joined this site in Feb 2008. scary lol

365rwhp, 370ft-lbs
    Low 12's @ 110mph

Accumulating parts...

Status

nice articles
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

+ Reply to Thread