+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Autometer Monster Tach Acting funny

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

Default Autometer Monster Tach Acting funny

I've got my autometer tach wired up to a keyed ignition with 4 amp fuse, 14 gauge into a 18 gauge running to each dash gauge. 18 gauge neg merging into a 14 gauge going to chassis ground. when i turn on the ignition everything lights up fine, gauges come on, wide band turns on. But when I press the test button to see what rpm my shift light is set at, everything goes dim, and the wideband flickers. I haven't put a multimeter on it yet (one of the hire hands have it missplaced someplace in the shop) but to me it seems like a drop in voltage which seems strange. I talked to auto meter about it, i had ground going to the battery before and they advised me to go to chassis ground but it made no difference, thoughts?

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

"Bleach Master"

Status

If I read this correctly all you gauges are sharing the same power and ground? if so I would give the tach a separate ignition and ground feeds and leave all the other gauges sharing feeds like now. That is how I have my gauges wired and I have no issues.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    If I read this correctly all you gauges are sharing the same power and ground? if so I would give the tach a separate ignition and ground feeds and leave all the other gauges sharing feeds like now. That is how I have my gauges wired and I have no issues.
    yes you're correct. I was thinking the same, but I can't understand why it would present an issue, but I'll give it a try. I'm going to stick the multi meter on it first and see what the voltage is actually doing. where do you have your tach grounded?

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

I killed Goose

Status

Are your gauge lights LED?

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

Status

Figured out the problem, my 12v switched ignition source was actually 6v, wired it to a new power source and its mint.

+ Reply to Thread