+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bolt on big brake kits for rear axle

I like free kittens

Status

Default Bolt on big brake kits for rear axle

Finally!

Ready to begin selling. I have 9 sets of brackets made up and ready to put together into kits. These brackets will bolt onto your 9.25 axle that originally had drum brakes (97-02, the 03-04 axles have different mount flange spacing) These kits utilize the front 4-piston Brembo calipers from the LX SRT cars, so Challenger SRT, Charger SRT, Magnum SRT, and 300C SRT. Rotor diameter is 14" If I can get my hands on a stock 17" rim, I will test fit, but I highly doubt this will fit under a stock wheel. should be no problem with the 20" reps, if you have a spacer to get the back side of the spokes out away from the face of the caliper. I don't have a 20" rep to test fit, so unfortunately, I cannot tell you exactly what size spacer to get. Also, I cannot possibly test fit every single wheel out there, so ultimately YOU will be responsible to make sure that you can fit your wheels over these brakes. If you have doubts...then do not buy. Just about every CCW design out there from 18" and up will fit. I have 19" CCW SP550s and they fit without needing spacers.

this kit will NOT have a secondary parking brake. For those of you who are ultra conservative on safety and must have a secondary back up brake system, or are concerned with passing an annual vehicle inspection, I do have plans to build a pinion mounted cable operated brake. But installation will not be for the feint of heart. More to come on that later. For now, this thread is ONLY for the rear brakes.

This kit uses a 2 piece bracket design for 2 reasons. Lower production cost, and to allow for shimming the caliper to fit. Due to sloppy factory tolerances, and the precision needed to mount a fixed caliper over a rotor on a floating axle, there is no way around the requirement for shimming. There is only about .060-.075" of clearance between the caliper and each face of the rotor (see picture below) The axle floats +/- .010 as measured with stock factory axles, c-clips, etc. Who knows the tolerance on the length of the axle tubes in relation to the center of the diff, or the tolerance on where the flange is welded to the axle tube, or the length of the axle shaft itself; needless to say, that very quickly that tolerance stack-up will send the rotor into the caliper without the ability to custom tune the caliper location over the rotor. There is simply no way around this without hand/custom fitting each set, and I don't have the time to do that, and you don't have the money to do that. So, This bracket will use shims to allow you to move the caliper .060 or .030 in or out, or a total of .120 in .030 increments. for a visual, .120 is 1/8" and .030 is the thickness of a few sheets of notebook paper.

I am offering this 'kit' with options, listed below:

Bracket only kit. $250 plus shipping/paypal fees
    includes: caliper brackets, mounting hardware, shims, instructions.

Bracket and caliper kit. $750 plus shipping/paypal fees
    includes: bracket only kit plus re-manufactured calipers, new semi-metallic OEM replacement brake pads.

Full kit. $1100 plus shipping/paypal fees
    includes: Bracket and caliper kit, plus stainless braided brake lines, fittings to install to existing brake lines on the axle, slotted rotors.

Please PM me if you are ready to buy so we can discuss which option you're buying, where you live to figure on shipping, etc.

In these 2 photos, you can see how tight the clearance is on both sides of the caliper. no room for error!

--Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Panty Dropper

Status

nice job with the brackets, good luck with the sales
    Customized from head to toe. Truck Trend Magazine Favorite Show Truck From SEMA 2010, Featured in Truck Trend Mag Feb 2011, Feature Article CarAudio Mag and Featured in CarAudio Mag SEMA booth 2010. Truckin Magazine Full Feature issue 12, 2011 & Truckin Magazine Truck of the Year, Named 2012 Mopar Top Eliminator by Chrysler Corporation, Full feature and interview on Solo Films DVD Inspired Lifestyle. Sponsored by Memphis Car Audio, Tuff Stuff Performance, Taylor Wires, Viar Corp, Continental Tires, K&N, North Star Battery & Monzter MotorSports.

A Custom Truck is not created by how big your wallet is. It's the hands on effort you apply from your own ideas. Only then can it be called Custom-- Dynamic Installs

I like free kittens

Status

Thanks. Front kits coming soon too. 6-piston brembo from Porsche or 4-piston from Viper.

Was constantly getting people asking me to make them a set, so I needed to come up with a bolt-on solution
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

13 Second Club

Status

That is pretty nice. If you ever get the answer if it would fit with stock 17's, I would be looking for a set!
    2002 Dakota R/T CC
    13.75@99.42MPH
    1.7 RR, 160° T-Stat, 4.56 Gears, 52mm TB, Caltracs, Hotchkis TVS, K&N FIPK, M&H Drag Radial, M1 Intake, QA1's Shocks, SCT Tuner, Spintech Mid-Lenght Headers, Spintech True Dual Exhaust, Street Edge Converter, TransGo Shift Kit

Great works on brackets!

Nice work Tom When I get to the point of upgrading the brakes I know who to contact.

Whiplash Engine & Machine, FRP Tuned
    Instagram moderator for dakota_rt_club

Status

Dam , these look bad ass! Too bad I use the 15" drag wheels

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 5.9 R/T View Post
    That is pretty nice. If you ever get the answer if it would fit with stock 17's, I would be looking for a set!
    ^^^^

'78 Chrysler LeBaron - Gone
    '84 Dodge 600 - Gone
    '96 Dodge Avenger I-4 5 Spd - Gone
    '05 Neon SRT4 - Gone
    '05 Dodge Magnum RT- Gone
    '00 Dak RT- Now in TX
    '12 Challenger SRT8 - Gone
    '16 Charger Scat Pack- Gone
    '22 Ram Rebel 1500

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

Looks awesome Tom!

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

I like free kittens

Status

I don't see them fitting. But I don't have a 17" wheel laying around to test.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

interested in a "tuner" kit. meaning everything needed front & rear, minus the calipers. I'll find those myself. would you sell it like that ?
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

I like free kittens

Status

Yea, once I get the fronts finished up. I already offer the rears like that
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

ok, I'm going to wait and buy it all at once then
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

I like free kittens

Status

fyi. I'm still in the hole on my initial investment. I bought a larger quantity to lower the costs of each piece, but now I have a substantial amount of cash tied up in a box of brackets here in the garage. Once this initial run is sold, I will likely only get them made per-order which will cost a few dollars more per set.

in other words...after this first dozen sets sell...expect to see a SMALL price increase (likely $20-25). My wife is NOT happy about the credit card bill that is now earning interest. I ordered the quantity that I did by taking the number of dudes who said "hell yea, I'm in for a set!" and divided it by 2, then added the number back for how many guys had already paid in advance.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

I like free kittens

Status

Brackets and kits for rear brakes are still available. I need to re-do all my pics thanks to photo-fuck-it.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

Hey, did we ever find out if these rear kits fit with the stock 17" wheels, if so I would like to purchase a kit.

I like free kittens

Status

The stock wheels are such a horrible design for brake clearance, I can almost guarantee you won’t get a 14” set-up to fit. But, I don’t have a 17” wheel to test with.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

Bump for big brakes! Anyone thinking of going this route, I can say just how nice these kits are.
    Matty

+ Reply to Thread