+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on 2 different beasts...

Default Opinion on 2 different beasts...

I'll preface this by saying I realize this isn't exactly the right place to post this but it seemed like the most likely place, I guess.

I've decided after 16 years it might be time to move on from the old R/T. We've had a our fun over the years and after the 155 thousand mile maintenance it runs better than the day I drove it off the lot when I was 19 years old (35 as of today, Yikes) and so now would be a good time to get it sold and move on.

That being said I'm not here for a sales pitch but just some opinions on the 2 vehicles I've narrowed it down to. After a lot of perseverance I've manage to track down an 05 SRT-10 Ram RC with only 2000 miles on it (Yes 2000). The truck is simply pristine. Its been in a climate controlled garage most of the time and maintained by a collector. It not only fulfills my desire to find a spiritual successor to my Dakota but also, at least at this point in my life, my best shot at owning something as close as I can get to a Viper. I've driven a couple of these trucks and if you could envision the smile this thing gives me its like when the Grinch is plotting to steal Christmas. Gas mileage isn't great but i didn't see it being that much worse than what I've been driving for the last couple decades. The real trick has been trying to finagle the financing since these vehicles are real odd balls and an MSRP on a good one is rarely near NADA price. Long story short with some negotiating I just have to drop by the bank and we are good to go.

In the mean time I've always had a soft spot for the Challenger. I've always had my heart set on a Scat Pack before I got on this Ram kick. I know exactly what options I'd get except for which color. Obviously it would be a new car, much higher tech, fast as hell (With the A8), and I'd be able to drive around more than 1 other person if I desired. I'm planning on test driving one this weekend and I imagine that it will make this decision all the more difficult. With the incentives they're offering on them right now, my down payment, and my dads discount its probably the best deal you could ask for out of a brand new high performance car. Financing is all the same beyond that. My bank is pretty solid.

Obviously this is all ultimately my decision but I'm beating the crap out of myself deciding what I want. I know there is a huge contrast between these 2 vehicles but the reason I'm asking here is because I needed the opinion of folks who understand what sport trucks are about as well as those in the Mopar family. What do you guys think and what would you go for in this situation?

Home School Valedictorian

Status

I would have a tough time taking a 2k mile SRT-10 and turning it into a daily driver.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

I killed Goose

Status

Tough choice. What's the asking price for the Srt10?

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

GPz550 Addict

Status

Once a truck owner, always a truck owner, unless you have another truck. The Challenger would be a fun replacement, but if I had the option to go for an SRT-10, I'd look for the 4-door version. Just me.
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

Status

Not much of a decision here. A 392 Scat Pack Shaker Challenger hands down!! The only other choice would be a 392 T/A. I have driven a 392 and it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Never driven a V10, but heard that they were not that impressive. My 2 cents for what it's worth.
    Edelbrock Magnum heads, Harland-Sharp 1:6 RR, Jomar Performance Ultra-Lite Stud Girdle, SoutheastPerformance Sheet Metal Valve Covers, Custom Hyd Roller from Reed Cams, Mopar M-1 2 Brl Intake, Hughes Stage 1 TB, JBA SS Headers, Jacobs Electronics Pro Street Ignition System and Wires, MBRP 'Cuda Style Exhaust, Western Chassis 2" drop front and rear, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, Terry DeLong Pro-Glass Shaker Hood

R/T Lives Matter

Status

I love the challenger. But, anyone can walk into a dealer and buy one. A SRT-10 ram with 2k on it is a needle in a hay stack, I'd buy the truck. Go with your gut
    99 R/T
    The never ending project

Sounds to me like your just stepping into a newer version of a Dakota rt, by buying a srt 10 no aftermarket support no parts , not very impressive performance.not made anymore. just the opposite with a challenger

I have a friend who's SRT 10 is doing 750 hp. Basically he made it a true Viper engine. He also builds performance engines for a living so his labor is cheap. The answer to your dilemma is to know the questions first. After you spend so and so amount of money for just the vehicle, will you be satisfied with A. the performance as is? B. Which will stroke your ego more or put a smile on your face better? C. Do you want to throw more money at whatever you get? And the most important question:
    D. Do you need a p.u. truck or does a car fit your world better?
    I don't think you should be sucked in by an odometer reading when other factors are more important.

Status

Get the Challenger unless your collecting the SRT10.

The Challenger you can drive and enjoy,but the truck would probably end up sitting collecting dust waiting for it to be worth something....

My Scat Shaker is a blast!

I'd go with the Challenger.
    408, HiPoTek, FRP Tuning, Martin Saine 46re
    12.33 @ 110
    2018 Renegade Raceway Summit Series Sportsman Champion

Status

Like I said above, make sure it is a 392. Go big or don't bother. Then you will have something.
    Edelbrock Magnum heads, Harland-Sharp 1:6 RR, Jomar Performance Ultra-Lite Stud Girdle, SoutheastPerformance Sheet Metal Valve Covers, Custom Hyd Roller from Reed Cams, Mopar M-1 2 Brl Intake, Hughes Stage 1 TB, JBA SS Headers, Jacobs Electronics Pro Street Ignition System and Wires, MBRP 'Cuda Style Exhaust, Western Chassis 2" drop front and rear, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, Terry DeLong Pro-Glass Shaker Hood

Challenger 392 scat pack with the 6 speed manual (not up to speed if the manual is still an available option or not but liked it better than the auto, totally made the car more fun to drive).

Whiplash Engine & Machine, FRP Tuned
    Instagram moderator for dakota_rt_club

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggsy72 View Post
    Challenger 392 scat pack with the 6 speed manual (not up to speed if the manual is still an available option or not but liked it better than the auto, totally made the car more fun to drive).
    Mine is a 6 speed,and yes they are still an option.That being said though,the 8 speed if freakin fast!!!!!

Status

Funny, I went uptown today, I saw a 2005 srt10 6 speed single cab, silver with black wheels with 52k for $27k, I told the guy it's ok I'll come back another day and check it out he said take it today for $21k I laughed and walked away

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

I've got a soft spot for the Ram, I'd go that way myself. I've been considering dumping my R/T for the exact same reason
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

Status

Well I went to test drive it today it's a 05 with 61k bassani headers & exhaust and k&n cold air is all I seen as far as mods $23450

Status

I'd go for this one. Not to far from you Dr. Bleed.

http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal...5D%5D%5B%5D%5D

Status

Fck that 4 door is beautiful

Status

Is that the original hurst shifter that comes in the rams ?

Edit : Sorry I forgot to add the pic
    Last edited by blackknight; 03-28-2017 at 04:36 AM.

Status

Owning a scat pack , and having driven and tuned several SRT10s , there is no comparison.

Get the challenger, keep the RT for truck things.
    RYAN/TUNED

Got questions?!? Get the answers ->>> http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread
    For fastest response please text or email at ryan@frptuning.com ,please no PM's!!!

Red trucks are faster

Status

You know,......there are used Hell Cats that come up from time to time. I just recently saw a used Charger Hell Cat. Go big or buy a truck. U can't run down to the hardware store and grab plywood with a car. Its tougher moving without a truck too.
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Status

Would make a nice tow rig for the R/T since it's always broke down too lol

I am the guy that doesn't care if I have the fastest car or truck (I own a Harley lol) but I like to have something different than everyone else. That is why I bought my r/t and figured I could build it as the years go by but I started having urges for a manual last year. I started researching swaps and found it won't be cheap so I started searching for a srt10 manual and found one and consider buying it but the cost difference between the two I decided to keep the r/t for now.

Hey guys,

So after careful consideration and weighing what my payments would be for both I made a decision...

I was going to go with a Challenger T/A at first but realized after everything was said and done it would be well out of the ball park I wanted to be in. This way I won't be forced to eat Ramen Noodles for the next 7 years. Hahaha Anyway she is as fun as she looks. I have no regrets. Picked her up this last Saturday and drove her home.

I'm going to try and make it work with my R/T also. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for all of your opinions! They were greatly appreciated.

Status

Fckn sweet, what year? mileage ? How much ? I want to get the polished wheels for mine !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast