+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How and when is this ignition key halo light suppose to come on?

Status

Default How and when is this ignition key halo light suppose to come on?

I can't remember what was told about the ignition cylinder halo light but mine doesn't work with or without the headlights on. I see there is a bulb in it. I even remember I changed the bulb out when I changed the key cylinder once and the light doesn't work. When is it suppose to work? Is it only when the headlights are on? I remember asking and someone said they weren't hooked up on a 99 Dakota. Does that mean they weren't physically plugged in from the factory or not hooked up to the body computer to work? I know it's not an important functioning light but if it's there I think it should work. So if it's possible I'd like to get it working.

Status

I imagine they'd be on the same circuit as the entry lights.

Status

I didn't see much about it in the chrysler factory service manual. There was a kid at the parts store with the same year 99 Dakota R/T even same color Yellow and his didn't work either. I could have the wrong number bulb in. I don't see any videos on youtube about it. I'm not even sure how and when it works. I know my 73 Charger has one which is literally a bulb with a cover over it so it doesn't blind you and it works pretty good.

I also had this problem my 98 durango had the halo ring that was working. both of my 99 did' nt work . Also most of the time the bulb is there but you need to hook up the wires . when i finish my transmission and my truck is running i will hook up the wires for mine also because i also think it should work and it looks cool

I looked it up for you. hope this help

Remove the top cover of the steering column. This is held on by three black torx screws found on the bottom cover (the silver one holds on the bottom cover). Once you pop the cover off it will be very obvious where the halo light lives (right above the ignition switch). The wires run from the lamp itself (a standard #74 if it ever does burn out) down to a four pin connector. Only two wires come out of the connector (the key "sense" circuit). Now extend the unconnected halo wires (black) by either adding the two missing pins to the connector or just splicing into the existing wires (like I did) with about 5-ft of wire. The new wires can be neatly run down the steering column and tie-wrapped so that it looks just like the factory did it. Route the extended wires up to the A-pillar by way of the fuse panel or up the door molding. I actually stick a very heavy gauge wire down through the side of the dash and pull the new wire up with it. Remove the A-pillar cover by just pulling it out enough so that you can work on the wiring harness and feed in the new wires. Unravel the black tape of the wiring harness about half way up the A-pillar. Center splice your extended wires into the pink and yellow wires found in the harness and rewrap the portion of the wiring harness with new electrical tape. Snap the cover back on and the halo light is all ready to go.

Status

I looked at the wiring diagram out of the 99 Chrysler factory service manual. Why wouldn't it be hooked up and working from the factory? I have the code sheet from the dealer and it says this R/T has the Light Group. I'll have to take a look at it. I'm not sure I want to do any extra wiring.

Chrysler did the halo keyring light till 1999 . the bulb is there but the wires not . before 1999 they usually work . i have read different things why Chrysler stopped with the halo keyring .

Status

I looked at the halo switch tonight. I see the blue wire and the black/blue wire just as shown in the 99 Chrysler wiring diagram. I also see where the bulb is with the two black wires coming out of the bulb socket and going down behind the ignition switch. I couldn't find the ends to the bulb socket wires to see where to add more wire. Can't you just splice in the two new wires right to the blue and the blue/black wires since it turns on the dome light when you open the door? I probed the blue wire with a test light and it lit up the dome light. It did the same when I probed the black/blue wire.

I Pm a link with pictures maybe it will help you out

Status

I know it's been awhile since this post but this may be doable for me. I was doing some cleaning in my garage and remembered I had a Dodge Durango steering column not sure what year. It had the wiring still on it. I did look back at the link I was sent but I guess the photos are long gone so I was a little confused about the wiring pins people said they had to add. On this extra Durango column I had I saw the halo bulb w/ switch and a gray plug that unplugs from the halo switch with two wires coming out of it. It was a light blue wire and a black wire. According to the ignition key lamp wiring diagram from my 99 Dakota factory service manual those are the only two wires that should be present on the ignition key lamp switch. I might need to lengthen those, maybe that's what everyone was referring to having to lengthen the wires. I just need to know the best place to splice them in. That's where I get lost in the factory wiring diagrams. If it were from the 70s I could probably figure it out.

+ Reply to Thread