+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm back!!!

Default I'm back!!!

Well I have purchased another Dakota. I was surprised to see my old SN is working, and am glad the community is still active. After years of looking through craigslist I finally found a nearly stock, clean regular cab. It has the belltech lowering kit and Mopar cold air intake. Had to fly to Florida from Dallas to check it out. These trucks are getting harder to find it seems like, especially the regular cabs. When I found this Amethyst, I jumped on it. The guy had an offer from a neighbor and three calls in those two days. I'm glad he waited! Anyway I planned on a hemi swap, but forgot how much I loved the sound of that 5.9 until I drove it. Now I'm torn between the hemi and a blower 5.9 setup. Here is a pic when she was being loaded, I look forward to the projects ahead!

KIMG0216(1).jpg
    Last edited by drtswinger; 03-09-2017 at 06:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Welcome back! She looks like a beauty

Whiplash Engine & Machine, FRP Tuned
    Instagram moderator for dakota_rt_club

Status

Love that colour!!! I have a "98 Sport RC in Amethyst....
    Quote Originally Posted by drtswinger View Post
    Well I have purchased another Dakota. I was surprised to see my old SN is working, and am glad the community is still active. After years of looking through craigslist I finally found a nearly stock, clean regular cab. It has the belltech lowering kit and Mopar cold air intake. Had to fly to Florida from Dallas to check it out. These trucks are getting harder to find it seems like, especially the regular cabs. When I found this Amethyst, I jumped on it. The guy had an offer from a neighbor and three calls in those two days. I'm glad he waited! Anyway I planned on a hemi swap, but forgot how much I loved the sound of that 5.9 until I drove it. Now I'm torn between the hemi and a blower 5.9 setup. Here is a pic when she was being loaded, I look forward to the projects ahead!

KIMG0216(1).jpg

R/T Lives Matter

Status

Nice color! similar to mine, looks like a beaut
    99 R/T
    The never ending project

I like free kittens

Status

The traditionalist in me says to build a 5.9 blower or turbo. Ryan is a great tuner, and just down the street from you. He's trying to get out of the email tuning game and only tune in person now, so you're lucky to be close.

The realist in me says that if you can do the work yourself, a lightly modded hemi will make more power for fewer dollars in the long run. Heck a junk yard 5.7 out of a wrecked truck starts out 100 hp more than the 5.9. Ryan can tune Hemis too. Just grab the computer, engine, trans, and wire harness out of a totaled truck.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

gen III traitor

Status

Am I the only one that cringes when I see straps going through wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

Welcome back

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

R/T Lives Matter

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sick 660r View Post
    Right there with ya lol ^^^^^
    99 R/T
    The never ending project

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

I agree! Sketches me out, and most of what I do is sketchy as hell.

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by drtswinger View Post

KIMG0216(1).jpg
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

I like free kittens

Status

Are the wheels not able to handle the weight of the truck? I prefer to wrap around the suspension myself, but I don't see anything wrong with going through the wheels if you don't care about possibly chipping the paint from the hook or leaving rub marks in the finish
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Status

Only thing bad I see is it lets the truck bounce up and down on the trailer thereby wearing out the shocks, I strap mine down by the frame, no bounce-o-rama.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

"Bleach Master"

Status

LOL, I can't believe y'all are arguing about straps through the wheels.....
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

gen III traitor

Status

I'm talking about rub marks lol

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

Nope!

Status

Rub marks bad....Ruined shocks good?

11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post

Only thing bad I see is it lets the truck bounce up and down on the trailer thereby wearing out the shocks, I strap mine down by the frame, no bounce-o-rama.
    ^^^That's how I would secure it, why risk wheel finish damage with straps rubbing on it? Snug it down from the frame to the trailer.

Welcome back and congrats on the new truck
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

Accumulating parts...

Status

Welcome back!
    I recall your screen name, but what truck did you previously own?
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Batmans B1tch

Status

I'm glad it went to a good home. I was going to buy this and the owner told me he was waiting on you first. It's ok, I still have Dan's kids.
    01' Dakota R/T CC- Paxton Novi 2K (gone but never forgotten)
    www.facebook.com/TiffanyABushee
    - Mrs. Bushee

---Under Construction---

Status

Welcome, thats a rare dakota youve got there. Looks clean, post up some more pictures.

My R/T build (rebuild) thread

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=133167
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post

Yeah. Gotta be careful with that shock wear issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingst3r View Post
    Welcome, thats a rare dakota youve got there. Looks clean, post up some more pictures.
    Dude looks for a while for a rare, low-mile Dakota R/T, then wants to tear it apart and put a Hemi in it?
    1999 Dakota LS-swap. Fastest NA 5.9/6.0 full-weight CC. 12.76 at 109.9.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

Status

This coming from you?
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

I know it has been a long time, but I have some updates on the truck. I was a little discouraged since the same day I got my title in the mail, we got some hail and the truck got some light damage. Oh well I planned on a repaint anyway. Long story short life got in the way and delayed my plans.

I appreciate all the comments, and am surprised to see my thread had replies. I totally forgot I made this post and didn't get any email notifications. As far as the wheel straps, I was happy to find someone to ship it so quick on its own trailer. The shocks were shot from the start, and the wheels needed a powder coat too.

After a lot of endless research, I decided on a low mile 6.1 6 speed setup out of a challenger. The motor is currently at a Dodge dealer with my friend who is replacing the gaskets, oil pump, water pump, compressor, ps pump, clutch, alternator, flywheel, lifters, valve seals, damper, pulleys, and timing chain. I had the heads cleaned up and resurfaced when they did the valve seals. All mopar parts. I have also collected some of the parts needed for the swap, Schumacher mounts, Milodan oil pan, 2005 Ram computer, clutch pedal assembly, steering column cover from a manual, newer Dakota manual cluster, and some other misc. stuff. I am going after a factory look for all you purists. I know swaping the 5.9 on this truck is debatable... but she is tired after 150k and 21 years. I might make a build thread if there is any interest in one, I am sure I could use the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans View Post
    I'm glad it went to a good home. I was going to buy this and the owner told me he was waiting on you first. It's ok, I still have Dan's kids.
    He told me 3 people called in the 24 hours between our call and me getting there. Real nice guy, him and his buddies bought and sold classic cars. We hung out for a couple hours and they showed me the collection. He didn't completely believe me when I said I would fly out from Dallas the next day to buy it. Pretty sure he thought it was a scam!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast