+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Installing bedliner, need to protect paint

Status

Default Installing bedliner, need to protect paint

I'm picking up my freshly painted Solar Yellow 99 R/T on Monday. Before I got a used under rail factory Dodge bedliner from a 98. It was hard as hell to get it in under the rail. I don't want to chip the new paint on the rails. Is there any tips or tricks I need to know before reinstalling it. The bed wasn't painted but the rails were.

I like free kittens

Status

Don't do it at all. Even if you get it in without chipping the paint, that hard plastic bedliner will float on top of your fresh paint, collect dirt and dust, and then act like 80 grit sand paper and scrub off all that fresh paint, leading to rust.

Carpet or spray in only. No hard plastic bed liners
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Status

What Filthy Said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Edelbrock Magnum heads, Harland-Sharp 1:6 RR, Jomar Performance Ultra-Lite Stud Girdle, SoutheastPerformance Sheet Metal Valve Covers, Custom Hyd Roller from Reed Cams, Mopar M-1 2 Brl Intake, Hughes Stage 1 TB, JBA SS Headers, Jacobs Electronics Pro Street Ignition System and Wires, MBRP 'Cuda Style Exhaust, Western Chassis 2" drop front and rear, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, Terry DeLong Pro-Glass Shaker Hood

Status

X2 on what Filthy said. I ruined a brand new truck bed with a hard plastic bed liner. Rusted when I took it off 2 years later.

Bed Rug is pretty good, or a spray in. I like the Bed Rug, you can roll out a sleeping bag and sleep on it. Better traction for dogs too.
    '03 Stampede Graphite Metallic Dakota R/T CC

FRP tune, M1 2bbl, HiPoTek 52mm TB, K&N 14" Filter, Headers, Flowmaster duals

Status

It looks like my bedliner had been on there since the truck was new. When I took it out and cleaned it up. The bed look almost perfect for it's age and mileage so I didn't even have it resprayed at the body shop. But it's not as good as the fresh paint so I want to put the bedliner back in. There was no rust or any crazy scratches underneath it. I'm just afraid of trying to get the sides of the bedliner under the rail. It takes a lot of force and the sides were repainted because it's still seen with the bedliner in. I at least swapped out the aftermarket bedliner for an oem Dodge one. I actually don't like the look of the spray in bedliners.

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Filbert View Post
    Don't do it at all. Even if you get it in without chipping the paint, that hard plastic bedliner will float on top of your fresh paint, collect dirt and dust, and then act like 80 grit sand paper and scrub off all that fresh paint, leading to rust.

Carpet or spray in only. No hard plastic bed liners
    yup, never gain for me
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

Both my trucks have a spray on rubberized Amaguard bed liner. I will never ever use a factory or aftermarket hardplastic bed liner for the following reasons, they trap sand and grit in between the bed and the liner add water and salt too, the plastic is too slippery, looks cheap, can't give them away. The liner will look okay but underneath it will eventually be another story in the long run, rot and scratched to all hell. If I would do another bedliner in the R/T it would be a bed rug, think about it, it's easier on her knees and much my comfortable on your back. They look they best by far too.

Whiplash Engine & Machine, FRP Tuned
    Instagram moderator for dakota_rt_club

Status

I don't have a cover. So won't the rug get wet and mildew. I opted out for the extra $500 for a professional spray in liner paint matched. I don't like the way it looks. It didn't look factory. I plan on mostly showing and occasionally driving my truck. It's not a daily driver. It will never have anything in the back of the bed. Since I didn't get the bed sprayed and the liner has been in there for years I guess I will just put it back in. I've had one in my Ranger since it was new from 1998 and I took it out to take the bed off for the fuel pump work and the bed was in perfect shape. If I had a cover I probably would go with the rug but I don't want to spend that much more money on it. I guess I will have a friend help me reinstall it. I'll try to cover and protect the side of the rails where it slides underneath. Then I will take some new photos.
    Last edited by wh23g3g; 03-09-2017 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Adding more

+ Reply to Thread