+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Closure of supporting vendor sub-forum

I like free kittens

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    Thanks Ryan. I understand nothing you said except it's a bitch to tune email wise. What I can't grasp is everyone uses a different cam, heads, intakes so how does the standard loaded SCT interface (that's a big word for me) for these additional bolt ons apply with differentiated cams, heads and intakes? Does it help you to know in advance the exact specs of the bolt ons or is it still a trial and error thing no matter what. I'm just stupid about this stuff but I'm still trying to think of possible ways where I can make your load easier.
    Just like when you tune with a carb, you dial it in. You can't take a carb from one engine, slap it on another and expect it to be perfect. You have to retune for that combo.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    It must be, I have yet to see "the other tuners" get the tunes right..........
    Everyone knows who tuned my truck and I had no complaints. It was one of the largest solid roller cams I've seen in these motors. It was spot on.

Me and you talking here Chad, "tuners" especially with our trucks get hacked up junk to tune. O2 sensors 12 years old, wide band o2's are old and shot. Injectors old as hell not firing correctly, intake and exhaust leaks. And when the tune is off it is all the tuners fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Filbert View Post
    Why do you think he's selling his SCT?
    Funny you should say that snowflake. I bought bigstuff3 cause I wanted to. And Chris at pie is still gonna tune it. So I'm not sure where you were going with this.

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

"Bleach Master"

Status

I won't get into this pissing match as everyone already knows where I stand on these "other tuners" and I will leave it at that.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

It must be, I have yet to see "the other tuners" get the tunes right..........
    I won't get into this pissing match as everyone already knows where I stand on these "other tuners" and I will leave it at that.
    Not asking you to,

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

"Bleach Master"

Status

I like turtles

Status

Like I've said....MANY TIMES before...

Chris nailed my FIRST 408 tune at WOT first try, dead nuts on....But getting it to idle was another thing. We tried this and that, he even stayed up till after midnight on his lap top while I made laps at the track and emailed him info, he would tweak the tune and send it back....I gave up and went to a carb, but it took a full season to run faster than Chris's first SCT tune.

Lot's of haters....If I was a Vendor I'd tell you guys to pound sand, like Ryan just did.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Status

I would drive my truck to you for a tune....I'm in Southern Ontario but love a good road trip!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyinRyan View Post
    So here's the deal guys. *Editing in progress*

I am at the point where it no longer is effective for me to tune these trucks, in volume, over email. That's not to say it isn't profitable- i have had a great deal of success with it- but with the phone and the FB and so on going off constantly because people do not grasp what is entailed in email tuning has been a major factor in not only my personal life, but my health as well.

One of the downsides to having a small business is that people tend to overlook the fact that I am not open 24/7. The more time I spend on the phone, on FB, on emails, etc, the less time I get to spend on the tuning. The volume of work I get is already enough to where I feel my time is limited- so managing that window I have is crucial.
    Beyond that- and this might be because of my shift towards being more Facebook-centric in my focus- the younger generation of owners that is now modifying these trucks seem to have a growing sense of entitlement. There is a certain expectation of the sun and the moon, and when you have to abbreviate the conversation to move on to other tasks, one is met with anger or at least a whole bunch of attitude. I can do without all that, even if I make less money each month.

The fact of the matter is that communities such as this one make up a shrinking percentage of my sales, yet still dominate my time by an overwhelming majority. And sadly, almost all of that time is spent on "tech support", as the trucks themselves do not take much time to tune.

In contrast, none of the above happens with the newer platforms I work on, regardless of what software I use. More than ever, I find I have to pick my battles....It is better for a multitude of reasons to shift towards in-person tuning for these older platforms where the support is less, and the vehicles themselves are more finicky.

Within the last few weeks, I have had a previous issue return where my tune files sent over email were being corrupted and affecting fuel trims. Basically , when a closed loop tune is sent, the truck will learn an initial value and "freeze" in place. This skews fueling. When you try to get around it with open loop, the fuel trim values (which in OL should be 0'd out) are still there. SCT and I originally traced it back to both bad X3 firmware and a localized corruption issue on my laptop, a year ago, but after months of zero issues it has returned. I've swapped laptops again (1200.00 out the window) for the sole purpose of trying to remedy this issue, and so far, no joy. Between the original occurrence 2 years ago and now, I have hundreds of hours invested not to mention numerous calls/emails with Aldo, Rudy Benn and Scott Barbour from SCT trying to rectify this issue. I do not know if the other tuners that do these platforms have these issues- frankly, I do not care.

Thus far it would appear that the problem does not exist if I am loading the tunes via my interface instead of how you, the customer , would do so via the Device Updater program.

For all of the reasons mentioned above, it is time for me to change how I conduct my business. I will still happily tune these trucks, the condition will now just be in person, preferably on the dyno. I am already aware this is going to piss off alot of people that somehow think I owe them something , but, after 5 years of slaving away, it is time for me to put my well being first.

I like free kittens

Status

I was just talking to Ryan. Maybe a dyno day, tuning blitz in Ohio is in order.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

That would be sweet!!!
    I still don't have my heads and cam though. Still waiting on that 3k loan.....

DRTC #311

Status

I was just talking to Ryan. Maybe a dyno day, tuning blitz in Ohio is in order.
    That would be cool. Give me a reason to order the rest of my stuff and install it!

Just like when you tune with a carb, you dial it in. You can't take a carb from one engine, slap it on another and expect it to be perfect. You have to retune for that combo.
    Now that's something I can understand. Thanks Tom.
    I look at this electronic tune thing with big , starry eyed, "it's magical" attitude. Sort of like the first time I ate a cereal called "Sugar Jets" back in the early 50's. They showed a commercial of the kid flying around after his first bite. I insisted my mother hold the back door open just incase before I ate the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    Like I've said....MANY TIMES before...

Chris nailed my FIRST 408 tune at WOT first try, dead nuts on....But getting it to idle was another thing. We tried this and that, he even stayed up till after midnight on his lap top while I made laps at the track and emailed him info, he would tweak the tune and send it back....I gave up and went to a carb, but it took a full season to run faster than Chris's first SCT tune.

Lot's of haters....If I was a Vendor I'd tell you guys to pound sand, like Ryan just did.
    Holy crap Dave with all this "stuff" going on, I'd open my engine bay and give my carburetor a big hug.

I like free kittens

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    Now that's something I can understand. Thanks Tom.
    I look at this electronic tune thing with big , starry eyed, "it's magical" attitude. Sort of like the first time I ate a cereal called "Sugar Jets" back in the early 50's. They showed a commercial of the kid flying around after his first bite. I insisted my mother hold the back door open just incase before I ate the stuff.

Tuning is tuning. Finding the right timing and fuel delivery that the engine wants. Technology doesn't change that. Computer EFI just gives you more control, more adjustability than a carb with mechanical spark advance in the distributor. Nothing to get glossy eyed about.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Lurker

Status

The most civil poop flinging ever here - good job guys

I fully appreciate and understand where Ryan is coming from and am looking forward to a tune for my Scat pack someday.

I hope the tune you sent me for the Truck last summer didn't get corrupted....but I wouldn't know because my slacker butt hasn't loaded it yet

Josh - 98 BLK RC - Mad Milkshake Maker
    Previous
    99 BLK RC - Mad Trash Hauler - sold
    99 DA RC - mad dak - Danno Stole it
    01 SLVR RC - mad sexy - retired - then died
    99 IB RC - mad RT - gone to heaven..

Former Certified member of the 11 Second NA RT Club

Status

Totally understand Ryan's point of view. Lots of time spent on an aging platform with "entitlement" generation for not a lot of return.

I dropped my order for X3/custom tune at the end of January to jump on the band wagon and get grandfathered in as well. Haven't heard from Ryan yet, but I know he's busy and swamped with orders. The M1 is still at the powder coater, so no big hurry and I'm not worried. Leaking beer keg has been on for there 14 years so a few more weeks won't matter.
    '03 Stampede Graphite Metallic Dakota R/T CC

FRP tune, M1 2bbl, HiPoTek 52mm TB, K&N 14" Filter, Headers, Flowmaster duals

Tuning is tuning. Finding the right timing and fuel delivery that the engine wants. Technology doesn't change that. Computer EFI just gives you more control, more adjustability than a carb with mechanical spark advance in the distributor. Nothing to get glossy eyed about.
    Cheez Tom, don't wreck it for me. Did somebody tell you there was no Santa when you were 3? It's fucking magical I tell ya! You know, sort of like when the caveman discovered fire. (and at the same time discovered to drag their women by the hair instead of the feet so they wouldn't get filled up with dirt.)

I like free kittens

Status

Just helping you with those spongebob eyes
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by madboy View Post
    The most civil poop flinging ever here - good job guys

I fully appreciate and understand where Ryan is coming from and am looking forward to a tune for my Scat pack someday.

I hope the tune you sent me for the Truck last summer didn't get corrupted....but I wouldn't know because my slacker butt hasn't loaded it yet
    Funny how when I'm not attacked I keep a calm mello attitude with my discussions.......

Maybe, just maybe I was falsely banned 20 times in the past by some giant douche canoes......... maybe

I like free kittens

Status

Meh. It was probably deserved.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

"Bleach Master"

Status

Meh. It was probably deserved.
    You prolly right.......

I like free kittens

Status

You prolly right.......
    Da fuq is next? A Y-code owning club president?
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

"Bleach Master"

Status

Da fuq is next? A Y-code owning club president?
    Whoa sir, them fight'en words!!!

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Bang4theBuck View Post
    There are still some other options...... Mine is done by Chris at pie and gets tons of abuse, keeps getting faster, and has for a few years now. I also hear Marty Fletcher is pretty good. Hopefully someone can ad anyone thats good that Im missing?
    I know I'll catch shit for this, but I have to agree. Chris did my new trans and the tune, and the truck has never run better. He's doing the Hemi build I have in the works for this summer too. That being said, I like Jay Greene's tunes better for my hemi. I think a lot of this comes from building a relationship with a vendor, communication is key. That comes from time spent. You can use the same parts in 2 trucks, and neither will react exactly the same. Same in the hemi world. It's been seen here and on the old Delphi board. Save the flame, I'm not in the mood. blah, blah, blah.....
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

"Bleach Master"

Status

I like big bewbs!!

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

I like big bewbs!!
    there's something we all can agree upon
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast