+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Closure of supporting vendor sub-forum

I like free kittens

Status

Default Closure of supporting vendor sub-forum

By request directly from Ryan, I have closed his supporting vendor sub forum. He conveyed that it was not anything personal towards anyone, and that he has multiple reasons for this decision, namely that SCT is not supporting our platform to the level that allows Ryan to provide the customer service to his standards. Ryan is still a member here on this forum, and is still involved in SCT. I doubt he will be turning his back on any of his current customers. He just isn't looking to bring on any new ones, thus, no need for a sub forum.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

I killed Goose

Status

Well that sucks but how about a big thank you to Ryan for the past support.

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

Dang that's too bad, feels like we just lost someone very special. I'm sure that couldn't be further from the truth though.

Whiplash Engine & Machine, FRP Tuned
    Instagram moderator for dakota_rt_club

Black Pearl

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BIGROB View Post
    Well that sucks but how about a big thank you to Ryan for the past support.
    If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

Status

Gee...I've never seen this happen before.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Filbert View Post
    ...he has multiple reasons for this decision, namely that SCT is not supporting our platform to the level that allows Ryan to provide the customer service to his standards.
    Sounds like the X3 is at the end of it's production run, and there's no hope for future compatibility with the new stock. We'll just have to see what the reality is though.

I wonder what will become of his IB RC?

I like free kittens

Status

I don't understand precisely what the problem is, but he said it only happens during email tuning and never happens when he loads the file directly to the device from his interface.

He bought it to drive it. No super secret plans. He was feeding the troll with his answers to chris' questions
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

By request directly from Ryan, I have closed his supporting vendor sub forum. He conveyed that it was not anything personal towards anyone, and that he has multiple reasons for this decision, namely that SCT is not supporting our platform to the level that allows Ryan to provide the customer service to his standards. Ryan is still a member here on this forum, and is still involved in SCT. I doubt he will be turning his back on any of his current customers. He just isn't looking to bring on any new ones, thus, no need for a sub forum.
    So if I just sent him money this past Tuesday for an SCT, I'm I getting my money back or a tuner?

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    So if I just sent him money this past Tuesday for an SCT, I'm I getting my money back or a tuner?
    He'll take care of you still, it's all good. Just as Tom stated is all, that's it.

Uhm only thing is no email tunes after February 1st if I'm not mistaken for new customers, only those grandfathered in.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggsy72 View Post
    He'll take care of you still, it's all good. Just as Tom stated is all, that's it.

Uhm only thing is no email tunes after February 1st if I'm not mistaken.
    Since I'm a complete dickhead about any of this tuner stuff, I thought the only way somebody who lives 2000 miles away or more from Ryan would only be able to get a tune through email. On a truck such as yours and considering where you live, how 'r ya gonna tune it?

Since I'm a complete dickhead about any of this tuner stuff, I thought the only way somebody who lives 2000 miles away or more from Ryan would only be able to get a tune through email. On a truck such as yours and considering where you live, how 'r ya gonna tune it?
    He revised his posting http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...-future-orders

I already purchased my custom tune in January before all this went down. Fingers crossed it's going to be just fine, I'm not worried one bit as Ryan has an outstanding reputation in the community.

I like free kittens

Status

Correct. Ryan didn't say 'fuck it, fuck you, I'm fucking walking away'. He simply is not interested in bringing on any new customers, this no need for a forum as advertisement.

If you have a specific question, contact Ryan
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

I ordered mine in January too. Feeling cold feet, but I'm confident things will work out fine. I couldn't imaging the number of different forums and FB groups he tries to maintain a presence on. He's just one man (at this point), and he needs to focus. Unfortunately, that focus isn't on our era of vehicles. THAT DOESN'T TAKE AWAY FROM HIS VAST KNOWLEDGE OF HOW TO TUNE OUR MOTORS. I guess this is really just a matter of whether "we" still get the same level of customer service as his later-generation customers.

Status

I got my order in at the end of January also. I talked to him earlier this week via text. He said he's been slammed with work. He said he got 6 months worth of orders in within a week. The guy is just spread too thin. Stress is a real killer and some things have to give. I believe he will take care of us, but he's not looking for any new customers. I am confident that it will be worth the wait.

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

Because tuning our motors takes a masters degree in rocket science.
    I'm selling my sct if anyone needs one.

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by krs1r/t View Post
    Because tuning our motors takes a masters degree in rocket science.
    I'm selling my sct if anyone needs one.
    It must be, I have yet to see "the other tuners" get the tunes right..........
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

I like free kittens

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    It must be, I have yet to see "the other tuners" get the tunes right..........
    Why do you think he's selling his SCT?
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

There are still some other options...... Mine is done by Chris at pie and gets tons of abuse, keeps getting faster, and has for a few years now. I also hear Marty Fletcher is pretty good. Hopefully someone can ad anyone thats good that Im missing?

Vortech V-3, 52mm TB, EQ Heads, "R/T" Cam, MSaine VB, 2800 Stall, HS 1.7's, 11.6 @ 119 in 1/4

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Bang4theBuck View Post
    There are still some other options...... Mine is done by Chris at pie and gets tons of abuse, keeps getting faster, and has for a few years now. I also hear Marty Fletcher is pretty good. Hopefully someone can ad anyone thats good that Im missing?
    HAHAHAHA!!!!!! you heard WAY!!! wrong
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

I don't understand precisely what the problem is, but he said it only happens during email tuning and never happens when he loads the file directly to the device from his interface.

He bought it to drive it. No super secret plans. He was feeding the troll with his answers to chris' questions
    The Real Pro wheels, nitrous, and 3600 stall suggest otherwise......
    RYAN/TUNED

Got questions?!? Get the answers ->>> http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread
    For fastest response please text or email at ryan@frptuning.com ,please no PM's!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggsy72 View Post
    He revised his posting http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...-future-orders

I already purchased my custom tune in January before all this went down. Fingers crossed it's going to be just fine, I'm not worried one bit as Ryan has an outstanding reputation in the community.
    What's Jtec as opposed to SCT? And if I'm understanding this correctly; a canned tune is for minor bolt ons but a "custom tune" is for the addition of cams, heads, etc.?

Status

So here's the deal guys. *Editing in progress*

I am at the point where it no longer is effective for me to tune these trucks, in volume, over email. That's not to say it isn't profitable- i have had a great deal of success with it- but with the phone and the FB and so on going off constantly because people do not grasp what is entailed in email tuning has been a major factor in not only my personal life, but my health as well.

One of the downsides to having a small business is that people tend to overlook the fact that I am not open 24/7. The more time I spend on the phone, on FB, on emails, etc, the less time I get to spend on the tuning. The volume of work I get is already enough to where I feel my time is limited- so managing that window I have is crucial.
    Beyond that- and this might be because of my shift towards being more Facebook-centric in my focus- the younger generation of owners that is now modifying these trucks seem to have a growing sense of entitlement. There is a certain expectation of the sun and the moon, and when you have to abbreviate the conversation to move on to other tasks, one is met with anger or at least a whole bunch of attitude. I can do without all that, even if I make less money each month.

The fact of the matter is that communities such as this one make up a shrinking percentage of my sales, yet still dominate my time by an overwhelming majority. And sadly, almost all of that time is spent on "tech support", as the trucks themselves do not take much time to tune.

In contrast, none of the above happens with the newer platforms I work on, regardless of what software I use. More than ever, I find I have to pick my battles....It is better for a multitude of reasons to shift towards in-person tuning for these older platforms where the support is less, and the vehicles themselves are more finicky.

Within the last few weeks, I have had a previous issue return where my tune files sent over email were being corrupted and affecting fuel trims. Basically , when a closed loop tune is sent, the truck will learn an initial value and "freeze" in place. This skews fueling. When you try to get around it with open loop, the fuel trim values (which in OL should be 0'd out) are still there. SCT and I originally traced it back to both bad X3 firmware and a localized corruption issue on my laptop, a year ago, but after months of zero issues it has returned. I've swapped laptops again (1200.00 out the window) for the sole purpose of trying to remedy this issue, and so far, no joy. Between the original occurrence 2 years ago and now, I have hundreds of hours invested not to mention numerous calls/emails with Aldo, Rudy Benn and Scott Barbour from SCT trying to rectify this issue. I do not know if the other tuners that do these platforms have these issues- frankly, I do not care.

Thus far it would appear that the problem does not exist if I am loading the tunes via my interface instead of how you, the customer , would do so via the Device Updater program.

For all of the reasons mentioned above, it is time for me to change how I conduct my business. I will still happily tune these trucks, the condition will now just be in person, preferably on the dyno. I am already aware this is going to piss off alot of people that somehow think I owe them something , but, after 5 years of slaving away, it is time for me to put my well being first.
    Last edited by FlyinRyan; 03-04-2017 at 04:34 PM.
    RYAN/TUNED

Got questions?!? Get the answers ->>> http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread
    For fastest response please text or email at ryan@frptuning.com ,please no PM's!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinRyan View Post
    So here's the deal guys. *Editing in progress*

I am at the point where it no longer is effective for me to tune these trucks, in volume, over email. That's not to say it isn't profitable- i have had a great deal of success with it- but with the phone and the FB and so on going off constantly because people do not grasp what is entailed in email tuning has been a major factor in not only my personal life, but my health as well.

One of the downsides to having a small business is that people tend to overlook the fact that I am not open 24/7. The more time I spend on the phone, on FB, on emails, etc, the less time I get to spend on the tuning. The volume of work I get is already enough to where I feel my time is limited- so managing that window I have is crucial.
    Beyond that- and this might be because of my shift towards being more Facebook-centric in my focus- the younger generation of owners that is now modifying these trucks seem to have a growing sense of entitlement. There is a certain expectation of the sun and the moon, and when you have to abbreviate the conversation to move on to other tasks, one is met with anger or at least a whole bunch of attitude. I can do without all that, even if I make less money each month.

Within the last few weeks, I have had a previous issue return where my tune files sent over email were being corrupted and affecting fuel trims. Basically , when a closed loop tune is sent, the truck will learn an initial value and "freeze" in place. This skews fueling. When you try to get around it with open loop, the fuel trim values (which in OL should be 0'd out) are still there. SCT and I originally traced it back to both bad X3 firmware and a localized corruption issue on my laptop, a year ago, but after months of zero issues it has returned. I've swapped laptops again (1200.00 out the window) for the sole purpose of trying to remedy this issue, and so far, no joy. Between the original occurrence 2 years ago and now, I have hundreds of hours invested not to mention numerous calls/emails with Aldo, Rudy Benn and Scott Barbour from SCT trying to rectify this issue. I do not know if the other tuners that do these platforms have these issues- frankly, I do not care.

Thus far it would appear that the problem does not exist if I am loading the tunes via my interface instead of how you, the customer , would do so via the Device Updater program.
    Thanks Ryan. I understand nothing you said except it's a bitch to tune email wise. What I can't grasp is everyone uses a different cam, heads, intakes so how does the standard loaded SCT interface (that's a big word for me) for these additional bolt ons apply with differentiated cams, heads and intakes? Does it help you to know in advance the exact specs of the bolt ons or is it still a trial and error thing no matter what. I'm just stupid about this stuff but I'm still trying to think of possible ways where I can make your load easier.

I like free kittens

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Bang4theBuck View Post

I wouldn't let either of them tune my truck if they paid me to let them. One was run off/out of the 'club' for crap work. He's come back after a lot of the OGd have left, so now the new guys think he's this new guy on the scene. The other has about a 50% customer approval rating. For every satisfied customer in the club, there's one who feels like they got had--his number one proponent in the club is going stand-alone. What's that say about his tuning abilities?
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

Thanks Ryan. I understand nothing you said except it's a bitch to tune email wise. What I can't grasp is everyone uses a different cam, heads, intakes so how does the standard loaded SCT interface (that's a big word for me) for these additional bolt ons apply with differentiated cams, heads and intakes? Does it help you to know in advance the exact specs of the bolt ons or is it still a trial and error thing no matter what. I'm just stupid about this stuff but I'm still trying to think of possible ways where I can make your load easier.
    Because there are so many different combinations of throttle bodies, camshafts, intake manifolds , cylinder heads, port volume /valve size, once you get past bolt ons (or bolt ons with a SMALL cam), there is really no way to have a "one tune solution" past that point. Not to mention you are dealing with 15-20 year old trucks with unknown condition fuel systems, short blocks, etc etc.

I have a standard "heads/cam" tune that I use as a baseline, but I've seen it be anywhere from dead-on, to requiring major revising on a truck I did recently.

Myself and Todd Ognibene have spent an ABSURD amount of time trying to simplify the process. There isn't one. People don't read and they do not listen. So, I am changing my business model accordingly.
    RYAN/TUNED

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast