+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What are the tuning options for variable ethanol %s ?

Status

Default What are the tuning options for variable ethanol %s ?

Some details of my current build goals:
    Stock bottom
    Heads & cam
    Nitrous (150+)
    STOCK FUEL DELIVERY (pump thru injectors)
    FRP SCT tune
    no immediate plans to boost
    no immediate plans to stroke
    no plans to "convert" to e85

My immediate needs:
    • Wideband O2 sensor & controller
    • Wideband 0-5v analog output (for SCT log)

My wants:
    • A/F gauge in cab
    • Fuel pressure sensor
    • Fuel pressure gauge
    • Fuel pressure logged (to identify when the limitations of stock '99 system are approached)

I'm looking at this Innovate unit as a Mopar Moneypit worthy solution:

ECF1_Main.jpg
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/ecf1.php

So you're asking why this guy would bother with a e% meter & gauge when he has no plans to mod his fuel system.

Additional benefits of this unit (to me):
    • Solves my needs & wants in 1 off-the-shelf package
    • Multiple gauges consolidated to 1 pod location (likely on steering column)
    • Low fuel pressure warning light
    • Datalogs of ACTUAL e% vs. resulting lambda (to identify limitations of my tune as e% increases)
    • Concrete info on actual e% of "mystery" pump gas as it leaves the tank (for wet system jetting adjustments)

I've owned my R/T since 2001, and it will likely be the last high-HP toy I purchase, so I plan to own it indefinitely. "Ethanol-free" premium is readily available where I currently live, but an interstate move is on the horizon. I don't PLAN on putting ANY ethanol in my tank because of it's detrimental effect on my 99's stock fuel components, but I don't think I'll be able to keep it 100% ethanol-free forever. This unit will inform me any time ethanol has incidentally found it's way into my tank and how closely I should be watching my lambda meter as I drive. Also, with actual e% & temperature data, I can jet-up the fuel side of my wet system accordingly if I find myself at the track with some ethanol in the tank. If the e% happens to be too high and my tune can't keep up at WOT, I can experiment by jetting DOWN my N20 if the fuel side is maxed

The premium I'd be paying for this product isn't too much more than what I'd be paying for a piece-wise setup to meet my needs & wants (as listed above). Additionally, I'd be providing the community some actual data on how changes to e% affects the stoich of our PCM controlled setups. I'll also be sharing my experiences with adjusting jets to compensate for e%. In all honesty, shouldn't more nitrous guys be concerned about inconsistent e% with big shots?

Now for my questions:
    What options do we have for controlling fuel delivery based on e%? (as indicated by a 0-5v output from ECF-1)
    Any NON-standalone solutions?
    If only standalones, which ones are worth a damn?

My quandary is whether I should skip the "SCT tune build-phase" and go straight to a standalone? My current build goals don't need it, but "future me" with a blown or stroked e85 conversion on N20 might regret wasting time/money tuning with an SCT.

"Bleach Master"

Status

I wouldn't use E85 and nitrous together, yes you can use them together but E85 has a lower BTU rating which is why it works great for boost applications but not as good with nitrous.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

I'm not planning to convert to e85 unless I get a blower or high compression, but neither of those are on the table for my build at this time. (donations anyone? )
    My concerns are making sure I don't exceed the physical limitations of my stock fuel system now, and as ethanol creeps into my life, that I don't unknowingly exceed the limits of my tune. Like I said, I can get ethanol-free 93 octane pretty much anywhere in Michigan, but I'm pondering a move to Minnesota where e10 is mandatory and they're trying to to make e20 the new MINIMUM. I feel I need to be aware of the e% in my fuel since my PCM and nitrous kit are clueless to the corn lobbie's motivations.

+ Reply to Thread