+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fixed: Service 4wd light on 2wd Dakota

Default Fixed: Service 4wd light on 2wd Dakota

Fixed: Service 4wd light on 2wd Dakota
    =======================================

Official TSB:

TSB number 08-032-00A DEC 00 4X4 Service Lamp - ON, 4X2 Vehicle, that instructs the dealer to replace the AC control in the Instrument Panel. The AC control in your truck is sending some incorrect messages via the vehicle's data bus. The Instrument Cluster thinks it should turn on the 4X4 lamp. The new AC control will keep the 4X4 lamp off and you should not notice any problem with the AC. aka Buy a new Part...

or........ free fix....

Short version:

cut the Service 4 wd bulb out, you have a 2wd so don't really need that bulb anyway....

Long Version: (How to actually do that)

grab a shorty #2 Philips and a long one... pair of small dikes/cutting pliers, couple of towels and not the wife's flowery
    ones if you ever want to get laid again...

tilt the wheel all the way down.

grab the shorty and take out the 2 Philips inside and underneath the dash at the gauge cluster.

the dash piece you need to pull out is long, it extends and includes the light switch all the way over
    to the airbag switch next to the glove box.

I started at the gauge cluster and started to pull the top towards me...

BEWARE there are 4 connectors you need to disconnect at the bottom of the dash piece.

- headlight switch
    - A/C controls, 2 connectors
    - air bag switch

headlight switch has a red tab, pull it down, then you can depress the tab and pull the connector off

A/C controls are a pain. left connector has funky clip keeping the tab from being depressed, i had to use needle nose
    pliers to pull that sucker out before i could depress the tab.

other 2 connectors, easy enough depress the tab, pull out the connector.

now you can pull the rest of the dashboard off

NEXT:

There are 4 black Philips screws on the cluster, 2 on top next to the guide pins and 2 below, hopefully your long Philips screw driver is magnetic... dropping them here could suck.

unscrew 4 screws pull out cluster, there are push connectors here, just gently tug on the cluster and will come out.

I found pulling it towards me and tilting forward was the easiest way to get it out...

throw a towel or some paper towels on your bench and put the cluster plastic face down...

unscrew Philips on cardboard piece

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you need to unscrew all #2 Philips screws from the PCB board, don't worry about the smaller ones... if you slip you may
    damage the board and know your free fix just cost you money...

carefully pull the PCB board off and place it connectors down on your towel...

you will find a pile of small lights soldered to the board.

They are labeled, one is Service 4wd...

very carefully clip the bulb off with the cutting pliers...

While I was in there, i cleaned up the plastic bezel front and back...

---- ok now put it all back together and your good to go...
    Last edited by mrmotoguzzi00; 02-09-2017 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Added TSB...
    2001 Dakota Sport, Club Cab, 5 speed, 4.7, 3.92lsd, Airraid, Jet....

+ Reply to Thread