+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Custom A/W intercooler build.

Status

Default Custom A/W intercooler build.

When I added a supercharger to my Durango, I needed an intercooler. The key to keeping air temps down in a street-driven vehicle is a big reservoir, not big fans and an exchanger. So here is my build from mostly stock parts, and a little help from my friends at Wal-mart.

I didn't want a big intercooler in front of the radiator, so I chose to use 2 Durango heater cores as the intercooler. They tucked up real nice behind the lower radiator support, and should be pretty well protected for off-road. I attached fans to each, which will run continuously. This keeps the IAT of my 600 or so HP engine about 20 above ambient, even on a 100 degree day.

Gates Powergrip clamps make nice hose ends.

Pump is placed on a 1/2 piece of pipe welded to the frame on the passenger side. Hose exits through the front of the fender, into the fenderwell, then into the pump intake.

And now for the creative part of the intercooler setup. I started looking for a good reservoir for the system, and found 1/2 to 1 gallon aluminum running $80 to well over $200. So I called up my friends at Walmart, and they happened to have a 72 oz Bubba Keg for $15. Tap the bottom, tap the lid, put in a couple of fittings from Lowe's,and there you are.

Final picture before the radiator goes in.

1999 Dakota LS-swap. Fastest NA 5.9/6.0 full-weight CC. 12.76 at 109.9.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

gen III traitor

Status

LOL just like radiators and fans are overrated for keeping the engine cool. That's why everyone making power just increase coolant capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

I killed Goose

Status

I stopped reading after I got to the word "Wal-Mart".

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

20° above ambient without actually heating the charge while in boost?

My intercooler system has a 4 gallon reservoir. When filled with 20# of ice and water - a single 10-second pass melts all the ice and turns it into bath water temp. At the track on a 100° day the IAT starts at roughly 50° when the tree comes down, then 10 seconds later it's right at ambient going through the traps at speed. So it heated roughly 5 gallons of coolant AND the intercooler core itself by THAT much in that short of time.

72 ounces of 20° above ambient water BEFORE boost will not be very effective at all. You simply do not have enough coolant in reserve or the ability to shed heat quickly enough to keep up.

On the street I chill the entire intercooler system using my AC system to blow cold air through the stock heater core to give me enough available coolant to keep IATs under control for short bursts in boost.

5 gallons of 70° water is way more effective than 1/2 gallon of 120° water.

Look for a way to gain more reservoir capacity and/or cooler water.
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post

My intercooler system has a 4 gallon reservoir. When filled with 20# of ice and water - a single 10-second pass melts all the ice and turns it into bath water temp. At the track on a 100° day the IAT starts at roughly 50° when the tree comes down, then 10 seconds later it's right at ambient going through the traps at speed. So it heated roughly 5 gallons of coolant AND the intercooler core itself by THAT much in that short of time.

72 ounces of 20° above ambient water BEFORE boost will not be very effective at all. You simply do not have enough coolant in reserve or the ability to shed heat quickly enough to keep up.

On the street I chill the entire intercooler system using my AC system to blow cold air through the stock heater core to give me enough available coolant to keep IATs under control for short bursts in boost.

Yeah. No. IAT doesn't go up at the end of 1/4 mile pull, measured off of the IAT sensor in the supercharger lid. The LSA supercharger on CTS-V and ZL1 engines don't have a reservoir at all. Now, granted, I am only seeing 6-7 lbs of boost, and the LSA is pretty efficient.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

Is there no measurement of IATs in the intake runner or plenum?
    Duner

Status

Is there no measurement of IATs in the intake runner or plenum?
    Man. That question doesn't even deserve an answer.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

The supercharger lid is upstream from the compressed air heat....
    How hot is the charge air?
    Duner

Status

The supercharger lid is upstream from the compressed air heat....
    How hot is the charge air?
    Dude. Stop already. You're killing me. You don't know what you are looking at, do you?
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

Status

72oz is a big reservoir?

All Temps go up at the end of a run on the track regardless of the engine and power adders and peripherals. Did you just really try to shame a man that has done more on a stock bottom end SBC with boost than most and tell him he doesn't know know what he's talking about? Common sense would tell you that the best IAT's come right before the TB or carb after everything else the air to reach the engine. Are you trolling again, which I can understand and forgive or are you serious?

I wanted to say so much more, but Jack and Bud are telling me to walk away......
    Last edited by Lonesoldier79; 11-07-2016 at 03:10 AM.
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

Status

I believe with those chargers. The fresh air enters under the screws then gets forced up into the lid then down the side into the runners. So the lid does see boost, correct?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lonesoldier79 View Post
    All Temps go up at the end of a run on the track regardless of the engine and power adders and peripherals. Did you just really try to shame a man that has done more on a stock bottom end SBC with boost than most and tell him he doesn't know know what he's talking about? Common sense would tell you that the best IAT's come right before the TB or carb after everything else the air to reach the engine. Are you trolling again, which I can understand and forgive or are you serious?

I wanted to say so much more, but Jack and Bud are telling me to walk away......

I think when he goes back and looks at his questions, he will probably delete it. And, of course, you don't seem to have a clue. So I guess...get drunk?

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    I believe with those chargers. The fresh air enters under the screws then gets forced up into the lid then down the side into the runners. So the lid does see boost, correct?

Yes.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

DRTC Member #1146

Status

You realize how fucking stupid you look right? You have an insulated water bottle from walmart under you hood as a part of you forced induction system. Just think about that for a second. Regardless of all the other work you've done, (which I also believe to be complete shit, but don;t say anything because you are impossible to have a logical conversation with) this is absolutely one of the most ridiculous and utterly retarded things I have ever seen done to a car, let alone someone claiming to be an "expert".

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    218/226 Comp Cam, Stage 1 Ported EQ Heads, PRW 1.6 Roller Rockers, PIE Custom Tune, Full spintech exhaust with 3" side exit, 52mm Holley, Ported Kegger, Viper E-Fan, Powerdemon Trans, Hotchkis Springs, Leafs and Sway Bars, R/T 20's, Gen 3 viper seats, Custom "Rejected" State Inspection Sticker
    Plenty More to come

"Bleach Master"

Status

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

A bubba keg.....you drop the coin to do an lsa swap. Then go with an insulated beverage container for an H/E res. Why not just use another factory H/E tank off another vehicle if you didn't want to drop coin on an aluminum fabricated tank?
    5.9 swapped, cam, Thorley's, Detroit locker, 4.11's, Cal-tracs, E-fan

gen III traitor

Status

My biggest issue is the oversized worm clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

Status

Sometimes simple works. IF you've ever followed one of my builds, you would know that I use some crazy shit sometimes. But 4 years later, it usually works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick 660r View Post
    My biggest issue is the oversized worm clamps.
    You would be concerned with that. They are chinese, so I got really big ones.I'm assuming you mean the ones holding the pump onto the half pipe.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

Why would I delete anything?

You have managed to defeat physics and can make a full pass down the drag strip under boost without raising your IATs at all!
    I'm terribly impressed!

What's next for you?
    Cold fusion and perpetual motion?
    Does Walmart sell those in kit form?
    Or do you put it together from stuff in the housewares department?
    Duner

Status

Why would I delete anything?

You have managed to defeat physics and can make a full pass down the drag strip under boost without raising your IATs at all!
    I'm terribly impressed!

What's next for you?
    Nah, you're right. The IAT on the LSA supercharger is measuring something other than charged air. Incoming air maybe? That would be helpful for the PCM.

But makin' fun of my Bubba keg. I based mine on the Lingenfelter kit, L300152012, but found that a 2L size Bubba Keg fit better in my location. You are a home-brew kind of guy. I've seen pictures.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Just stop by in this thread to re-read it and make sure I read it correctly the first time....... well I did read it correctly the first time and would like to add my two cents to this awesome topic;

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    HAHAHAH!!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

- -
    - -
    - -
    - -
    - -
    - -
    - -
    - -
    - -
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

DRTC Member #1146

Status

What's next for you?
    No come on duner! You know you gotta go to bed bath and beyond for that kind of shit!

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    218/226 Comp Cam, Stage 1 Ported EQ Heads, PRW 1.6 Roller Rockers, PIE Custom Tune, Full spintech exhaust with 3" side exit, 52mm Holley, Ported Kegger, Viper E-Fan, Powerdemon Trans, Hotchkis Springs, Leafs and Sway Bars, R/T 20's, Gen 3 viper seats, Custom "Rejected" State Inspection Sticker
    Plenty More to come

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA

And you wonder why everyone thinks you're a fucking hack and doesn't take you serious.
    HTTP://WWW.BRIANESSER.COM
    2000 Dodge Dakota RC, 5.3/4L80e, Twin 69mm, A2W, 2x44mm Gates/50mm BOV, E85, MS3x/Microsquirt

HTTP://WWW.PART-TRACE.COM
    Casting Number Database Project - Over 11,000 Casting, Part #, Engine ID and RPO Numbers

And who the fuck are you kidding, ZL1 durango. Bitch please, a take off LSA blower doesn't make it a ZL1 swap and 600hp isn't even going to make that cobbled together piece of shit relevant. Thanks for the laughs, you never disappoint.
    2000 Dodge Dakota RC, 5.3/4L80e, Twin 69mm, A2W, 2x44mm Gates/50mm BOV, E85, MS3x/Microsquirt

Casting Number Database Project - Over 11,000 Casting, Part #, Engine ID and RPO Numbers

I bet that thing sees 230+ degree IATs by the end of a run.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast