+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Choosing the right A/A intercooler

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    Heat up a piece of metal with a torch.
    Blow on it for 10 seconds with a blow gun, fan, whatever.
    Touch it with your finger.
    Put bandaid on your blister.

Heat the same piece of metal with a torch.
    Run it under the hose for 10 seconds.
    Touch it with your finger.
    No more bandaids required.

Any questions about effectiveness of air cooling when compared to water cooling?
    eh, a/a can be very effective with the right core. of course nothing beats water as a heat sink, i don't think anyone will argue that, but i do think most people just like the simplicity of an a/a. as i said earlier, can't beat an a/w setup at the track with ice in the tank, temps below ambient, but i'm not convinced it makes much difference in a street driven vehicle when you consider the extra room needed, the task of plumbing it, and the chance of pump issues and such, and no ice to help while street driving. an a/a is a one time install and is always working no matter what, plus you can always increase efficiency by adding methanol in the system without much hassle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cregger View Post
    http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...rcooler++760HP

Im using this one. I had to get a radiator from an 99 to have the room to fit the intercooler. My truck is 98% street driven. If it wasn't I would have done a a/w. A liquid is the best way to transfer temp
    any datalogs showing what your iats are?
    "Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul." -Biker Boyz

1999 intense blue regular cab r/t

Old setup: 408, fully forged, half filled block, eddy heads, m1, 236/232 116 .612 cam, 3600 stall, BW S480 turbo, 4" exhaust, 12lbs boost, Flyin' Ryan tuned.

New setup: 345 gen3 hemi, Manley forged pistons & rods, 6.1 crank, 6.1 heads, 6.1 cam, Ritter intake, 727 w/t-brake, BW S480 turbo, Holley dominator efi.

Still building: 5.7 based forged 392 stroker, custom cam, thitek heads, twin s480s, all the boost.

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Slow RT View Post
    eh, a/a can be very effective with the right core. of course nothing beats water as a heat sink, i don't think anyone will argue that, but i do think most people just like the simplicity of an a/a. as i said earlier, can't beat an a/w setup at the track with ice in the tank, temps below ambient, but i'm not convinced it makes much difference in a street driven vehicle when you consider the extra room needed, the task of plumbing it, and the chance of pump issues and such, and no ice to help while street driving. an a/a is a one time install and is always working no matter what, plus you can always increase efficiency by adding methanol in the system without much hassle.
    Plus driving it around with no bumper and big ass intercooler sticking out looks bad ass

Mid summer ambient air temp only gets up to around 75-80*, and 85* on the hottest of days so that treadstone A/A should be plenty for a Vortech.

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

Well, so much for my commission check for convincing somebody to go with A/W instead of A/A.

But if it only gets to 85° there, then yeah, you will do just fine with A/A.
    That's darn near winter temps for here.
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Cregger View Post
    http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...rcooler++760HP

Im using this one. I had to get a radiator from an 99 to have the room to fit the intercooler. My truck is 98% street driven. If it wasn't I would have done a a/w. A liquid is the best way to transfer temp
    Do you have any detailed pictures of your setup with this intercooler? Do you still have A/C?

2012 Grand Cherokee Limited Wife's car - 4X4, Hemi
    2003 Dakota RT RC, Hughes intake and throttle body, D1SC Procharger, 5-speed
    2009 Challenger RT, 6-speed, sportlines, x-pipe, Dynatech mufflers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2