+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Choosing the right A/A intercooler

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

Default Choosing the right A/A intercooler

What is some good advise for choosing the right A/A intercooler for use in a supercharged application? Will be running a vortech V1 ( I believe it's an S trim, haven't actually checked the PN)

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

Status

Seeing as your truck is an 03, you will probably be moving the radiator back if you plan to do a front mount A/A intercooler. There just isn't any room.

2012 Grand Cherokee Limited Wife's car - 4X4, Hemi
    2003 Dakota RT RC, Hughes intake and throttle body, D1SC Procharger, 5-speed
    2009 Challenger RT, 6-speed, sportlines, x-pipe, Dynatech mufflers.

Status

I have the truck in pieces now and forgot to measure when it was still together, how much room is there? I'm not afraid of cutting up the bumper if need be.

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Status

When I made a rough measurement, I was going to need to move the radiator back about 3" to have enough room to do a front mount and keep my A/C. It looks to be very doable, but I'm having to go back to a stock motor for now with no boost, so it will be awhile, before I even look at doing it. It may be easier to go with a 98-99 radiator, since it mounts to the inside of the core support, unlike the 2000 and newer trucks.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 2dakotas View Post
    When I made a rough measurement, I was going to need to move the radiator back about 3" to have enough room to do a front mount and keep my A/C. It looks to be very doable, but I'm having to go back to a stock motor for now with no boost, so it will be awhile, before I even look at doing it. It may be easier to go with a 98-99 radiator, since it mounts to the inside of the core support, unlike the 2000 and newer trucks.
    Isn't the 99 rad smaller aswell? not that I have a heat issue up here anyways...

gen III traitor

Status

There's no room for a decent size A/A which is why I went A/W. keep in mind I have a separate SC belt so I couldn't move the rad back much and I need to leave room for a blower brace.

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sick 660r View Post
    There's no room for a decent size A/A which is why I went A/W. keep in mind I have a separate SC belt so I couldn't move the rad back much and I need to leave room for a blower brace.
    Good point. With my Procharger, it runs off the serpentine belt, so there is room to move the radiator back about 3.5".

Status

Yeah, There's no way I'm running an A/W up here, with my luck it will freeze on me. Not to mention it's always boost weather up here, so a Quality A/A should be plenty for a supercharged application. I know cregger is running a Treadstone intercooler, anyone else have any experience with them? I know nothing is like a garret but... $$$

gen III traitor

Status

Bell is the way go for cores.

Same here, then I ended up moving the rad to the back. Besides, most cheap A2A suck unless you spend big money for a Treadstone or Garrett core and they still don't touch the performance of even a semi-decent A2W..
    HTTP://WWW.BRIANESSER.COM
    2000 Dodge Dakota RC, 5.3/4L80e, Twin 69mm, A2W, 2x44mm Gates/50mm BOV, E85, MS3x/Microsquirt

HTTP://WWW.PART-TRACE.COM
    Casting Number Database Project - Over 11,000 Casting, Part #, Engine ID and RPO Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Osee View Post
    Yeah, There's no way I'm running an A/W up here, with my luck it will freeze on me. Not to mention it's always boost weather up here, so a Quality A/A should be plenty for a supercharged application. I know cregger is running a Treadstone intercooler, anyone else have any experience with them? I know nothing is like a garret but... $$$
    Most guys run some RV antifreeze mixed in during the winter.
    HTTP://WWW.BRIANESSER.COM
    2000 Dodge Dakota RC, 5.3/4L80e, Twin 69mm, A2W, 2x44mm Gates/50mm BOV, E85, MS3x/Microsquirt

HTTP://WWW.PART-TRACE.COM
    Casting Number Database Project - Over 11,000 Casting, Part #, Engine ID and RPO Numbers

Status

just avoid the ebay cxracing ones unless you get the big core, like 4" thick. IMO, a vertical row intercooler would be the best bet for our cfm/hp needs, but the trade off is slightly less cooling ability, depending on the size you can fit and where you put it. on that same point, if you can fit a decent size one like say a 25x9 vertical like mine, and place it in the grill where the entire core will be exposed to air flow, then it would be more efficient than a horizontal. unfortunately most people don't have the room i do bc of a/c or factory radiator. packaging is the biggest issue with the verticals, its hard to fit them anywhere that has full access to flowing air, which they need bc the air passes through them much more quickly than a horizontal core. vertical is more efficient bc the higher flow rate allows much less pressure drop and also means you won't work the blower or turbo nearly as hard which results in less heat entering the core anyway. the horizontal cores advantage is that the air stays in them longer due to the length of the runners so more heat is dissipated and lower iat temps achieved....the trade off, especially on supercharged applications, is pressure drop through the core. far as brands, i just ordered the treadstone vertical for my setup. while treadstone is not on par with garrett, they are well above the cheap ebay ones and don't cost much more, and they are american made in florida. if you notice the cores side by side looking inside, you want to see staggered fins like treadstone and garrett, not straight fin like ebay cheapos. they also have a diverter in them that directs air to the top of the core unlike most intercoolers where the air mostly flows through the bottom half directly across the inlet/outlet if they are inline with each other. plenty of people run treadstone with great success, plenty have also ran the bigger ebay cores with success but one would be inclined to wonder how much they could pick up with a better core, plenty of people run bell cores but they are expensive, and garrett is probably the best core out there and expensive as well, but there is a reason shearer fab and other big boy intercooler guys only use garrett cores. in summary, the sizing and fitment of any a/a comes down to finding a balance between cooling ability, mass cfm flow, and packaging abilty on your ride.
    "Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul." -Biker Boyz

1999 intense blue regular cab r/t

Old setup: 408, fully forged, half filled block, eddy heads, m1, 236/232 116 .612 cam, 3600 stall, BW S480 turbo, 4" exhaust, 12lbs boost, Flyin' Ryan tuned.

New setup: 345 gen3 hemi, Manley forged pistons & rods, 6.1 crank, 6.1 heads, 6.1 cam, Ritter intake, 727 w/t-brake, BW S480 turbo, Holley dominator efi.

Still building: 5.7 based forged 392 stroker, custom cam, thitek heads, twin s480s, all the boost.

Status

No IC here.... Windshield washer fluid gets it done My IAT temps are less than ambient. With methanol injection you will spend less on a progressive kit than on a FMIC, couplers, etc. and less than $10 a year on windshield washer fluid. Food for thought.

Vortech V-3, 52mm TB, EQ Heads, "R/T" Cam, MSaine VB, 2800 Stall, HS 1.7's, 11.6 @ 119 in 1/4

"Bleach Master"

Status

I would go A/W, just look at Joe's set-up (sick 660R)
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Bang4theBuck View Post
    No IC here.... Windshield washer fluid gets it done My IAT temps are less than ambient. With methanol injection you will spend less on a progressive kit than on a FMIC, couplers, etc. and less than $10 a year on windshield washer fluid. Food for thought.
    I already have a snow meth kit controller solenoid pump thingy, I'm thinking with the cold ambient air temps up here a good A/A treadstone should be sufficient for the street, and I'll have the meth kit if I get crazy.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    I would go A/W, just look at Joe's set-up (sick 660R)
    It's a dope setup, Just I don't know If A/W is necessary. I still need to cool down the fluid in the loop with air , can't top up ice while driving down the street.

gen III traitor

Status

Does anyone have data or experience moving the filter out of the engine bay? I saw an increase of 9 degrees from vac during cruising to 11 psi but I'm not happy with my IAT's in reference to ambient temps and I believe it's due to my filter location. I'm also considering coating the pipes and intercooler. Having the intercooler over the driver side VC and header doesn't help.

gen III traitor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Osee View Post
    It's a dope setup, Just I don't know If A/W is necessary. I still need to cool down the fluid in the loop with air , can't top up ice while driving down the street.
    I just run water, no ice. It's nice having the option to run ice though, just need to bypass the heat exchanger and that only requires one fitting.

Status

i run both methanol and a/a, but being that i am turbo'd, methanol helps me more anyway due to the naturally higher iats from a heat soaked turbine housing. i'm not knocking an a/w setup bc it does work and works much better at the track than just an a/a setup since you can cool iat's below ambient with ice for a run, but there is more involved to fit and setup than a simple a/a, plus worrying about pumps/wiring issues (rare i know, but still possible) and such. as i said before, this is really something that you have to find a balance to suit you between packaging and effectiveness. Methanol is a good suggestion. i had nothing on my old paxton novi setup to help iats and never had problems even with 150+ iats, but methanol would certainly have been a huge help when getting into boost, especially on a track run.
    "Burn Rubber, Not Your Soul." -Biker Boyz

1999 intense blue regular cab r/t

Old setup: 408, fully forged, half filled block, eddy heads, m1, 236/232 116 .612 cam, 3600 stall, BW S480 turbo, 4" exhaust, 12lbs boost, Flyin' Ryan tuned.

New setup: 345 gen3 hemi, Manley forged pistons & rods, 6.1 crank, 6.1 heads, 6.1 cam, Ritter intake, 727 w/t-brake, BW S480 turbo, Holley dominator efi.

Still building: 5.7 based forged 392 stroker, custom cam, thitek heads, twin s480s, all the boost.

gen III traitor

Status

Personally I hate the maintenance of Meth on anything other than track only setup. I agree about the pumps, fans etc but I didn't have room with the Paxton belt. I still have my Meth kit from back in the day that I plan to use on the gen II.

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

Heat up a piece of metal with a torch.
    Blow on it for 10 seconds with a blow gun, fan, whatever.
    Touch it with your finger.
    Put bandaid on your blister.

Heat the same piece of metal with a torch.
    Run it under the hose for 10 seconds.
    No more bandaids required.

Any questions about effectiveness of air cooling when compared to water cooling?
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post

Any questions about effectiveness of air cooling when compared to water cooling?
    True, but you still need to cool down the water after it gets heat soaked, and that's done with air. You've got a super unique system using the A/C to cool it.

Status

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...rcooler++760HP

Im using this one. I had to get a radiator from an 99 to have the room to fit the intercooler. My truck is 98% street driven. If it wasn't I would have done a a/w. A liquid is the best way to transfer temp
    10.25 @131 SBE 5.9 360 turbo!!!

Check me out on YouTube - ThatTurboDakota

Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Bang4theBuck View Post
    need to talk to you about a full repaint, when you get a chance
    "the vast majority of the people on this website are such tight asses that they could probably squeeze out diamonds - but they'd never spend the money to buy the coal' - Steve F. 2012

"Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish" - Ty Webb, 1980

I killed Goose

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post

I like your scientific method

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast