+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DIY adapter 1/8 npt fuel pressure sensor to fuel rail

"Bleach Master"

Status

I think casias and Arro should get together and build a super engine, just saying......
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Why on gods green earth would you use tape when the paste is superior in every way, shape and form.

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Status

Man, I was really hoping someone would claim that is "disintigrates" or "dissolves" in the presence of gas and nitrous.

It does not.

So first, you have to know the story behind why teflon tape is shunned by manufacturers in the automotive aftermarket, and why it is a myth.

If you sell carburetors, fuel injectors, nitrous systems, or fuel systems, you have to know that the vast majority of your customers are morons. They put way too much of everything, and over-tighten the snot out of everything. And when shit doesn't work, they blame the company for a failure. So you have to give them really, really simple instructions.

This is where the idea that "teflon" tape causes stringing and clogging in the fuel system comes into play. "Teflon" tape is not Teflon at all. That is a brand name. It is PTFE film. When most people grab a roll to wrap some threads, they go around about 6 times, right up to the tip of the threads. This film gets squished into the line, and causes strings and clogs.

How about contact with nitrous oxide? A study was conducted in 2010 that showed significant changes to PTFE valve seats exposed to nitrous oxide above 150 psi. But below that, it worked just fine. So don't use any ptfe in any line that is above 150 psi for any length of time. http://www.aptech-online.com/PDF/Tec...016497rev2.pdf

What is thread sealant? It is PTFE paste. The reason it is user friendly, and heavily encouraged by manufacturers, is that any that might get squished in, and it does, will travel thought the system and not clog it, usually.

So, here is a tutorial.

A length of PTFE tape soaking in my lawn mower gas tank for 48 hours.

And 5 minutes later after it is dry. Going to wrap this 1/8 npt nipple and thread it into a Barry Grant y adapter.

Properly wrapped ptfe film on fitting. 2 threads are exposed, single layer of film.

Threaded in. Just to snug. If it leaks a little, tighten it a little more. If it is in a difficult spot after installation, pressure test it first.

I couldn't get a good picture, but the threads don't actually protrude into the body of the adapter. As it should be.

And this is what it looks like when the fitting comes out. No chance of any ptfe film getting into the fuel system at all.

How a sloppy mechanic uses ptfe film. And the reason why their shit doesn't run.

Oh. And I lied. I have ptfe thread sealant. I just don't use it all the time, because ptfe film is superior most of the time.

Permatex thread sealant IS ptfe.

1999 Dakota LS-swap. Fastest NA 5.9/6.0 full-weight CC. 12.76 at 109.9.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

"Bleach Master"

Status

LOL, why would ptfe dissolve in gasoline?
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    LOL, why would ptfe dissolve in gasoline?
    Dunno. That's what most internet experts claim.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

Status

Good grief....Tape is fine if you use it correctly, I use it, fuck that pipe dope crap.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Quote Originally Posted by casias View Post
    This from a guy that spent how much for something that, what, caught on fire, I think?

Your truck was built by the biggest hack on the planet.
    You're right I had a circuit ground out to the chassis because it wasn't insulated properly, but I was able to hit the kill switch in time before any significant damage could happen and had it fixed the next day. That work wasn't done by Chris, but by one of his guys Mike. It still falls back on Chris, but I wouldn't call him a hack. And yeah my truck is still faster than yours
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

Status

11.39@117 ?

11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    11.39@117 ?

I know right Trans is finally working the way it should just need to get on a drag strip again as soon as possible.
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    Good grief....Tape is fine if you use it correctly, I use it, fuck that pipe dope crap.
    Who said anything about pipe dope? Talking about thread sealant specific for gasoline applications. It just plain works, you know, new technology.

Jeezus do you guys use a crescent wrench for all your bolts too?

I dont see the harm in recommending a better method even over one that probably works with the correct application technique.

wow.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lonesoldier79 View Post
    It still falls back on Chris, but I wouldn't call him a hack. And yeah my truck is still faster than yours
    Well shit, it should be. Considering I have a bone-stock 6.0 with a cam.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRT View Post
    Who said anything about pipe dope? Talking about thread sealant specific for gasoline applications. It just plain works, you know, new technology.

Jeezus do you guys use a crescent wrench for all your bolts too?

I dont see the harm in recommending a better method even over one that probably works with the correct application technique.

wow.
    Yes. PTFE thread sealant is new technology. Straight from 1938. PTFE film is superior, if used correctly. You, my friend, are the customer the companies fear.
    Last edited by casias; 11-04-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

Quote Originally Posted by casias View Post
    Well shit, it should be. Considering I have a bone-stock 6.0 with a cam.

Yes. PTFE thread sealant is new technology. Straight from 1938. PTFE film is superior, if used correctly. You, my friend, are the customer the companies fear.
    Don't forget to call just about every major builder in the country an idiot that use and recommend SPECIFIC thread sealant designed for the application.

You my friend are the customer companies DONT WANT!!!

gen III traitor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    Bro, don't say that..... I been thinking about bringing him back many times......
    You bipolar fuck

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRT View Post

You my friend are the customer companies DONT WANT!!!
    And you are the idiot who believes them.

Edit: Guess it would blow your mind if I told you that NPT is a TAPERED thread, and shouldn't need any kind of sealant if it was precise enough. The ptfe, film or paste, is actually a friction modifier, more than anything else.
    Last edited by casias; 11-04-2016 at 09:47 PM.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2