+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will the Computer Notice a Different ABS Valve

Status

Default Will the Computer Notice a Different ABS Valve

I did the 03-04 Durango conversion and when I bled the brakes I noticed very little fluid comes through the rear. To make sure I didn't mess things up I took it to a brake shop and had them bleed them. While I was there I asked the guy if the bias for the rear drums is in the ABS valve for the rear anti-lock. He said yes, and I asked if I was to change it for the Durango ABS valve for rear disks if it would send more fluid to the rear and allow for the rear to work more. He said yes again. I would like to change the valve but I have no clue if the computer will notice the different valve and though a code and screw things up. So if anyone knows the answer please let me know.

Status

If anything I would think the 03-04 rear proportioning valve would send less fluid due to the better stopping/bit of the rear discs

Mostly stock:
    Open air Cleaner
    52mm TB
    No cat, flowmaster
    Way more mods to come

You need the master cylinder for the rear disc brakes.

2003 CC
    360 Swapped, FRP Tuned, 2.02 EQ Heads, 210XP cam, HS 1.7 RR's, Fastman 52mm TB, Mopar 2bbl M1, Mopar/PPH Headers, 2.5" True Dual, X-Pipe, Hooker AeroChambers, Hi Flow Cats, MSD Coil, Cloyes Double Roller Chain, JGC fan, 180F T-stat, Mopar Valve covers, K&N FIPK, PATC 2800 Stall, Martin Saine VB, Mildly built trans, 4.10 gears.
    249 HP/322 TQ FRP Tune (Old build. New build TBD)
    12.35 @ 109 (150 Shot)

r/DodgeDakota

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 97dakota318 View Post
    If anything I would think the 03-04 rear proportioning valve would send less fluid due to the better stopping/bit of the rear discs
    Because the wheel cylinder in the rear drums are so small there does not need to be much fluid to move the cylinder. For discs its a much larger piston that needs to move and to move the piston you need a larger volume of fluid. This is just how I understand it and I am not sure if I'm right.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SynRG View Post
    You need the master cylinder for the rear disc brakes.
    Not entirely sure if its the master cylinder. There is plenty on fluid, just about the same that is going to the front, going into the ABS valve from the master. On the way out of the ABS valve going to the rear is where there is a ton less fluid is coming out. That is why I assume it would need a different ABS valve.

"Bleach Master"

Status

LOL, a disc/disc proportioning valve will send less fluid to the rear discs as they don't need as much fluid like a wheel cylinder moving two shoes, they also don't as much force to maintain the roughly 35%-30% bias for a rear disc. the disc/drum proportioning valve can be converted to work on a rear disc conversion. use to be a write up about it some where but I think you removed a spring from the rear of the valve.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

So is that spring in the ABS valve or is there some other proportioning valve somewhere?

"Bleach Master"

Status

The proportioning valve is separate from the abs motor but it is right next to it and the master cylinder.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Here is the link to the instructions. Scroll down to Distribution block modification section.
    http://ssbrakes.com/files/2015%20Instructions/a157.pdf

Status

First thing I would do is go somewhere safe and try some hard stops. I have done several rear disc conversions with and without the ABS module, and found the stock combo valve works just fine.
    1999 Dakota LS-swap. Fastest NA 5.9/6.0 full-weight CC. 12.76 at 109.9.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

Status

I don't have a separate proportioning valve on my trunk. Here is a picture if it helps resize 7.jpg

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Vpool View Post
    I don't have a separate proportioning valve on my trunk. Here is a picture if it helps resize 7.jpg
    But how does the truck stop?
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

Status

To me the truck stops fine. Since I have done the disc conversion I have tried to get the rear to lock up and they haven't. I have had the rear drums lock up a few times and with a similar amount of force the discs have not. That is why I assume the rear needs more fluid, or because people are telling me discs don't need more fluid, whatever I need to create more pressure.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Vpool View Post
    To me the truck stops fine. Since I have done the disc conversion I have tried to get the rear to lock up and they haven't. I have had the rear drums lock up a few times and with a similar amount of force the discs have not. That is why I assume the rear needs more fluid, or because people are telling me discs don't need more fluid, whatever I need to create more pressure.
    I would leave the abs system in place, but disconnect it, and put a proportioning valve in between the master cylinder, front and rear brakes, and see if you can dial it in that way. Leaving the ABS in place may prevent a code from popping up.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

Status

I haven't thought about just bypassing the valve, I will have to try it and see what happens.

+ Reply to Thread