+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What worked and didn't

Default What worked and didn't

In the attempt to make our trucks faster, there are a bunch of what can be called "standard" components that were supposed to excite more speed out of the 360. I am curious to know hat opinions have been formulated after the speed journey that either left you amazed or disappointed.

Status

Keep your $ in your wallet!

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight View Post
    Keep your $ in your wallet!
    Ur no fun BK. Wise...but no fun.

Status

an M1 or Airgap, a bigger throttle body, midlength headers , and a quality custom tune are always safe choices.
    RYAN/TUNED

Got questions?!? Get the answers ->>> http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread
    For fastest response please text or email at ryan@frptuning.com ,please no PM's!!!

"Bleach Master"

Status

I remember back in the early days an M1 and Mopar pcm woke my truck up A LOT!!!!! but now like the Dakota Jesus said, M1/Airgap and custom tune and mid length headers wake these engine up.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

Carb FTW.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

Boost.
    However you can get it.
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

When i got my 99cc the first install i did was the K&N setup,sounded faster but that was all. Next up spin -tech headers and true duals ,first notably improvement. M1 with 52 F&B thottle body was next step, made for a really nice improvement and tons of fun to drive. Pulled the M1 and installed the F&B Sixpack setup with the SCT tuner at the same time and picked up 60 horsepower and tons more fun. Next step Martin redid the transmission with a 2800 tc. How need to get the 408 done.

Decide how fast you'd like to go then how much you can afford to spend then ask the question again.
    408, HiPoTek, FRP Tuning, Martin Saine 46re
    12.33 @ 110
    2018 Renegade Raceway Summit Series Sportsman Champion

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    Carb FTW.
    Carb + nitrous = you are going to have a good time
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Quote Originally Posted by mikset View Post
    Decide how fast you'd like to go then how much you can afford to spend then ask the question again.
    I never mentioned money nor ultimate performance. What worked to make one satisfied or disappointed is all I asked. Money spent is up to the individual. If a person spent $4000 for all the basic stuff such as cam,tune, heads, headers, etc. then wanted more, did that mean they weren't satisfied or were they and simply wanted more speed?? There is a story to be told and everyone has one and that's the interesting part to me..

I watched and wrenched with a buddy on a 64 Vette go from 14.4 with the stock 327 to 9.9 with a 383 stroker and turbo. This was over a 40 year period (cheeze where'd the time go)) Each point had excitement and disappointment. You are dealing with a person here who saw the flagman and worked on funny cars before super charging. Here is a pic of the A/FX car I was affiliated with.
    We tuned cars with valve timing, cam specs, ignition timing and carburation. This "canned tune" or electronic tuning is all Greek to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    Here is a pic of the A/FX car I was affiliated with.
    Been a long time.....but I remember the car. Want to say at Epping, NH but it may have been at Atco? I used to run dragbikes @ Epping often back then.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRT View Post
    Been a long time.....but I remember the car. Want to say at Epping, NH but it may have been at Atco? I used to run dragbikes @ Epping often back then.
    Locally, we did go to Epping and Connecticut Dragway. This pic was taken in California when the car won the Winternationals in its class. Being sponsored by Ford, it went across the country New Jersy included. Atco was only 5 or 6 years in existence then.

I include this pic to give an understanding of the hole in my knowledge as it applies to modern day engines. What may not have worked in the old days on the street may work just fine today because of "tuning". Nothing I understand at this point and part of the reason for my question.

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

Locally, we did go to Epping and Connecticut Dragway. This pic was taken in California when the car won the Winternationals in its class. Being sponsored by Ford, it went across the country New Jersy included. Atco was only 5 or 6 years in existence then.

I include this pic to give an understanding of the hole in my knowledge as it applies to modern day engines. What may not have worked in the old days on the street may work just fine today because of "tuning". Nothing I understand at this point and part of the reason for my question.
    All of the basics are still the same.
    We just have better control of timing and fuel now.
    Duner

Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    I get surprised when I hear of some of the cfm's tb's able to operate on relatively mildly built engines (such as 1100-1200). I always thought one shouldn't have more than 8-1 compression to run a sc and yet I'm told people here run 10-1 all the time with them. A cam in the 230-240 duration range @ .50 would be a bear of a cam to run in my day and yet it seems to be done all the time now. I mean air and fuel can be mixed just so much but I assume it is measured now in milliseconds instead of replacing a carburetor jet and a slight twist of the distributor.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    ^^^Just change your dial.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

I get surprised when I hear of some of the cfm's tb's able to operate on relatively mildly built engines (such as 1100-1200). I always thought one shouldn't have more than 8-1 compression to run a sc and yet I'm told people here run 10-1 all the time with them. A cam in the 230-240 duration range @ .50 would be a bear of a cam to run in my day and yet it seems to be done all the time now. I mean air and fuel can be mixed just so much but I assume it is measured now in milliseconds instead of replacing a carburetor jet and a slight twist of the distributor.
    Yes.
    Without a carb having to suffer with low vacuum signals - you can make a pretty good sized cam idle pretty smoothly thanks to those milliseconds of injector delivery. We can also change injector timing - as it when in the cycle we deliver those scant milliseconds of fuel, and under what conditions. It still gets kinda tricky to keep vacuum assisted power brakes with a bigger cam, but it's doable. Same thing with timing. We used to run low compression with boost. Now that we can tailor the timing to match boost levels AND with the aid of intercooler systems, we can up the compression and run boost at the same time. With the computer - you can run down the freeway at 40° of timing at light-throttle cruise, and still program it to drop to 10° at full boost and hot conditions and poor fuel - or anywhere in between that you want.

These abilities are how and why new cars get good mileage and still make gobs of power.

The ability to change it on the fly is huge
    Duner

+ Reply to Thread