+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Autocrossed my stock Dakota RT CC at Street Machine Summer Nationals

Status

Default Autocrossed my stock Dakota RT CC at Street Machine Summer Nationals

Took my RT to the Street Machine Summer Nationals this year and decided why not take it out for a little run on the autocross course?!

It's completely stock with the exception of 275 width NT450 tires. It had a tendency to push the front end pretty badly which I expected with how much weight I've got.

It ran a 35 which was what a lot of corvettes and mustangs were running. The faster cars like a couple Vipers ran 31-32's and the fastest car ran a 30 I believe.

https://youtu.be/FAW7QlRY0H4

Edit: Not sure how to get it so the video shows up here...

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

I bet if you had a RC you'd cut at least 1/2 a second off. I'm running the same tires, and if I give it a decent flick while driving down the street it under steers, where as my fathers RC will grip and turn.

These truck do the auto cross pretty well.

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

DAKRT56

Status

Nice! I was going to head down for that show this weekend and I ended up not going. Wish I would have, I heard some good things about it after the fact.

Steve - 1999 Flame Red RC R/T-56
    Comp Cams | F&B | Mopar | Spintech | SCT | Hotchkis

Awesome vid. Great to see these trucks in their natural habitat (not auto-x specifically, but, going around corners), doing what they were made to do.

Kick ass that you were running with vettes. How many people were shocked/embarassed/pissed off by that? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Osee View Post
    I bet if you had a RC you'd cut at least 1/2 a second off. I'm running the same tires, and if I give it a decent flick while driving down the street it under steers, where as my fathers RC will grip and turn.

These truck do the auto cross pretty well.
    For autocross, if going for max, then yeah, shorter wheel-base will allow for quicker rotation and transitions. However.... an RC isn't really a GT Truck. The ability to fit either 1 normal or 2 small people in the back is quite nice and handy when needed, plus the extra storage and space to lean the (front) seat back and still not be bouncing your skull off glass is really nice. Plus, the longer wheel-base is actually more stable in a drift, so that's another plus. (as if the greater every-day drivability from the extra room weren't enough).

Random thought, but running more narrow or cheaper tires on back and throttling your way around might help rotation and get better time. IF you could put the power down. And it would be a hell of a show too. (but tricky to pull off and not over-do it)
    2003 Black CC R/T, 1 of (less than) 376

BTW, you should post that vid here (as well) - http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...524#post505524
    2003 Black CC R/T, 1 of (less than) 376

Status

Quote Originally Posted by chrgr340 View Post
    Nice! I was going to head down for that show this weekend and I ended up not going. Wish I would have, I heard some good things about it after the fact.
    Yeah it was a nice show! Tons of cars there. There was a crazy Gen 1/2? (early 90's body style) Dakota there with a crazy paint job, huge motor with a blower and nos. Looked pretty quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark(a)RT View Post
    Awesome vid. Great to see these trucks in their natural habitat (not auto-x specifically, but, going around corners), doing what they were made to do.

Kick ass that you were running with vettes. How many people were shocked/embarassed/pissed off by that? lol

For autocross, if going for max, then yeah, shorter wheel-base will allow for quicker rotation and transitions. However.... an RC isn't really a GT Truck. The ability to fit either 1 normal or 2 small people in the back is quite nice and handy when needed, plus the extra storage and space to lean the (front) seat back and still not be bouncing your skull off glass is really nice. Plus, the longer wheel-base is actually more stable in a drift, so that's another plus. (as if the greater every-day drivability from the extra room weren't enough).

Random thought, but running more narrow or cheaper tires on back and throttling your way around might help rotation and get better time. IF you could put the power down. And it would be a hell of a show too. (but tricky to pull off and not over-do it)

There were a lot of people afterwards that were commenting that they were surprised how quick it was and how little body roll it had lol.

For me I'll never go back to a RC again. I'm almost 6'3" and having my knees jammed up against the dash all the time in the RC was no fun. It's so much more comfortable for me and my passenger in the CC.

It was definitely a fun time, I wasn't trying to be super competitive but just wanted to put it through its paces a little

That's really cool watching your truck going through the turns. Looks like a lot of fun
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

I like free kittens

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 92RT-TT View Post

For me I'll never go back to a RC again. I'm almost 6'3" and having my knees jammed up against the dash all the time in the RC was no fun. It's so much more comfortable for me and my passenger in the CC.
    Different strokes for different folks. I'm 6'4" and quite comfortable in my reg cab. Knees don't hit the dash, head doesn't hit the ceiling or back glass, I have room to work the clutch, and I 'own' the steering wheel.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Enough Show, Need More Go

Status

Bingo ^^^^ I'm 6'1 and love my RC. Ext cab would be nice for storage reasons but, meh!
    1998 Silver RC SLT - Hughes 2.02 Heads, Mopar M1 4bbl Intake, Mopar 4bbl TB, 230/236 .515/.515 on a 110, 1.6 Roller Rockers, 4.10's, Spintech Headers, 3" Duals, X Pipe, Chambered Mufflers, 4/4 Drop, 727 Full Manual w/Transbrake, PTC 4500 Stall

12.90 at 104mph

Thanks for posting.
    Not many R/T out there doing auto-x.

Status

Not any more. It was my wife’s first autocross car.
    Gene Beaird,
    98 FR CC R/T
    Pearland, Texas

Status

Good stuff! Lokked like a blast!

GPz550 Addict

Status

Not my truck, but this would be my idea of a fun build to a Dakota R/T, for road racing/track days. Pro-Touring. Maybe not the big rear wing, unless it was needed. Still and always will have road racing in my blood.

ProTouring Dakota.jpg
    Last edited by Corey; 01-26-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

"Bleach Master"

Status

Nice, I used to cone chase my truck back in my early sport truck days, had the hotchkis tvs drop kit on it, was a lot of fun.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

+ Reply to Thread