+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 9950 and unable to get .ll3 files

Default 9950 and unable to get .ll3 files

I have the 9950 and am told by SCT that I am SOL. Nice customer service huh? I also talked to my tuner and am unable to get a .ll3 file. So basically, I am SOL like SCT stated.

What are my options? It appears as SCT continues to discontinue support and tuners follow, we are going to be, well, SOL.

What are you guy doing to get tunes?
    2000 Dakota, 5.9, 6lb Powerdyne, 13.33@106

Status

Electronics get phased out.....it's to be expected. Sct hasn't used ll3 files since 2007??? 2008???

I have some X3s left over, and will have the new BDX handhelds when they arrive at the end of the month. I am right in the Houston area, too, should you wish to cure the Hemi fever .
    RYAN/TUNED

Got questions?!? Get the answers ->>> http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread
    For fastest response please text or email at ryan@frptuning.com ,please no PM's!!!

Thanks for the reply Ryan. I am in League City, so about an hour away..but not by email.

So what you are saying is that we all should expect that our vehicles have useless tunes/tuners/PCMs after about 5 years of service? That's a good racket for SCT.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge View Post
    Thanks for the reply Ryan. I am in League City, so about an hour away..but not by email.

So what you are saying is that we all should expect that our vehicles have useless tunes/tuners/PCMs after about 5 years of service? That's a good racket for SCT.
    I live it Katy but do almost all my Dyno work in Pasadena.

I'd expect the newer generation handhelds to last longer, they are built much better.

Look at it this way, I take it you aren't using the same cell phone from back then too?
    RYAN/TUNED

Got questions?!? Get the answers ->>> http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread
    For fastest response please text or email at ryan@frptuning.com ,please no PM's!!!

That's a very poor comparison. A cell phone is a few hundred dollars and all the files/phone numbers can be easily transferred. A programmer that controls a 10-30k vehicle is a completely different animal. Everyone is aware at the purchase of a cell phone that there will have to purchase upgrades in the future. I really don't think many people were under the same assumption that in a few years, their programmer would be unusable, at least I didn't think that.

Status

That's a very poor comparison. A cell phone is a few hundred dollars and all the files/phone numbers can be easily transferred. A programmer that controls a 10-30k vehicle is a completely different animal. Everyone is aware at the purchase of a cell phone that there will have to purchase upgrades in the future. I really don't think many people were under the same assumption that in a few years, their programmer would be unusable, at least I didn't think that.
    Whether you agree with it or not, that is the way technology works. The X2s were already old when they were released for DCX, and they were discontinued some 3 years ago. Eventually , electronics companies stop support for legacy products. The cost of training staff on troubleshooting product due to incompatibility, product left unused for extended periods of time etc etc is exorbitant compared to the "loss prevention" gained. Not when they can sell a new generation product and be ahead both in reduced cost and increased profits. It sucks- I lose money on situations like yours too- but business is business.
    RYAN/TUNED

Status

Hey Ryan, so by the sounds of this thread, you are telling me that I can't use my old 9550 hand held to tune my truck any more.
    Edelbrock Magnum heads, Harland-Sharp 1:6 RR, Jomar Performance Ultra-Lite Stud Girdle, SoutheastPerformance Sheet Metal Valve Covers, Custom Hyd Roller from Reed Cams, Mopar M-1 2 Brl Intake, Hughes Stage 1 TB, JBA SS Headers, Jacobs Electronics Pro Street Ignition System and Wires, MBRP 'Cuda Style Exhaust, Western Chassis 2" drop front and rear, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, Terry DeLong Pro-Glass Shaker Hood

Status

Quote Originally Posted by kota360 View Post
    Hey Ryan, so by the sounds of this thread, you are telling me that I can't use my old 9550 hand held to tune my truck any more.
    This is not even close to what I said, so no, that is not correct.

Here's the deal. If you own a 9550, you need to accept that is a dated product. Many of them still work fine. But, SCT discontinued them 3 years ago, no longer sell them , no longer repair or VIN unlock them.

It is your responsibility to make sure you have what you need (device drivers, Liveload software, etc) if you choose to continue to use them. Although I have copies of the drivers and Liveload, it is on you to ensure that at least when I am tuning *your* vehicle, you have what you need for me to do my job.
    RYAN/TUNED

So you have the ability to produce a .ll3 file?

I can understand there will be no more support/repair for them. It is the ability to get the correct file for the 9550 that I am questioning.

Status

Mine uses .cef files, is that right?
    G-Man

Status

So you have the ability to produce a .ll3 file?

I can understand there will be no more support/repair for them. It is the ability to get the correct file for the 9550 that I am questioning.
    I *MIGHT* be able to load files on your handheld in person. The LL3 file format was dropped in ~2008 or 2009 in lieu of the current .CEF format still in use today. I definitely couldnt sent you an LL3 via email . Loading files in person does not require formatting to .LL3 or .CEF.

It would seem like you'll need to get with me in person. I also have a 9550 that as far as I can tell, is still good to be used. It is up to date enough to accept .CEF files.
    Last edited by FlyinRyan; 05-30-2016 at 05:26 PM.
    RYAN/TUNED

Status

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    Mine uses .cef files, is that right?
    G-Man
    Yes it is.
    RYAN/TUNED

I have the handheld, software on a machine, just need the files. But if you can't send, we can work something out.
    Thanks.

Status

I have the handheld, software on a machine, just need the files. But if you can't send, we can work something out.
    Thanks.
    League city is about 15 mins from my dyno (ET in Pasadena, on Preston Rd.) I can plug your handheld to my laptop and see if it works.
    RYAN/TUNED

I know David at ET. I will get with you soon. Have to figure out a few things first.

Ryan, I sent you an email.

I had several good chats with Ryan over the weekend. He seems to be a great guy and was willing to try and help me resolve my issue. I will definitely talk with him when I switch my Silver Dakota to turbo later on!

Status

I know, old thread. I want to use my SCT 9550 on my 98 Ram, the PCM died. I had a tune loaded in a million years ago, will it work on the new PCM or no? New PCM was programmed with the same Vin Number, I took it back to stock prior to taking the old PCM out.

EDIT: I loaded the 91 octane tune into the new PCM, no mushroom clouds over New Mexico...Not yet anyway.
    Last edited by Adobedude; 07-30-2022 at 06:00 PM.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

+ Reply to Thread