+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is shift shaft seal a big deal to replace?

Status

Default Is shift shaft seal a big deal to replace?

I've ordered a new governor pressure solenoid, governor pressure sensor, filter, and tcc solenoid for my 99 R/T. I was going to have my transmission shop change them out. I noticed some leakage on the driver's side area right above the nss which appears to be the shift shaft seal. I was reading the fsm and there's no specific instructions to just change the seal. But it's listed in when removing the valve body to check the condition of the seal and replace if necessary with a 15/16 socket. I'm guessing you have to have the valve body out for sure? If I end up having the shop replace the tcc solenoid I may as well replace that seal. I just hate having them take out the entire valve body when I just need a governor solenoid and sensor. But they told me since it's not a 99 transmission and the pressure sensor is different it's not communicating with the computer so I need to change all three parts.

"Bleach Master"

Status

The valve body is very easy to remove on the 46re transmission, just have them replace the seal while they replace the sensors and solenoid.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

I just hope nothing is going to start happening to the transmission after they remove the valve body. I have an extra 4R44E out of my 98 Ranger that I attempted to take the valve body off of in the garage just to see if I could do it because they have problems all the time. It wasn't extremely difficult but I didn't know everything I was removing.

"Bleach Master"

Status

This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

The transmission in my 99 is from a 2001 model. So the big round connector on the tcc solenoid is the main plug for the transmission harness to the pcm? If that's so maybe my transmission shop was telling me I need to get the tcc solenoid and pressure sensor for a 1999 so the pcm will recognize it. I ordred the tcc solenoid for the 2001 since the transmission in my truck came from a 2001. Should it matter since the only difference is the design of the pressure sensor? According to the fsm they do the same thing in 1999 and 2001. I don't know if the computer is looking for 1999 values and it's giving 2001 values if that's even possible.

+ Reply to Thread