+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which is better programmer or chip?

Status

Default Which is better programmer or chip?

So not that I've 100% decided on it but I'm thinking of adding a chip or getting a tuner for my 99 R/T. I've had a chip on my 1998 Ford Ranger 2.5 from Superchips and it helped but it's a 4 cylinder so not much to be expected. Even on that truck the biggest difference in power came from adding a open element air intake kit, even more so than the Superchip. I still have the Superchip for my Ranger but took it out because the 93 Octane got too high and haven't put it back in yet. I've been reading all the old issues of Mopar Muscle I've had on how they improve performance on R/Ts. Besides the supercharger it looks like the air intake and computer was the most common in every article. But some of the issues they were actually replacing the entire computer module back when it was available from Mopar Performance I guess. I've looked around at all the various Programmers and chips. Which is the easiest to use if I ever want to go back to stock? I was reading the Hypertech tuner instructions and what you could change. But I imagine if I had to enter the parameters on some of that I wouldn't know what or how high to go. It appears the Jet is a chip module added onto the computer connector. They have a stage 1 and 2. Stage 1 says you can run 87 octane but mid grade or premium is optimal for more performance gains. I already use mid grade. I don't have any upgrades to the truck. I've added a Magnaflow converter and the same Dynomax muffler from the Dakota cat-back system. I also have the K&N cold air intake kit sitting in a box here I got through warranty but I still have the stock air box on right now while I'm freshening everything up on the truck. So chip or programmer?

DAKRT56

Status

SCT tuner, hands down. I think everyone else will agree when I say the other options (Hypertech, JET) are really not that great. Flyin Ryan Performance (vendor on here) is going to be your best bet. There is a FAQ thread in his supporting vendor forum that would be helpful for you to check out.

EDIT: Here is the link to the thread I mentioned: http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...estions-thread

Steve - 1999 Flame Red RC R/T-56
    Comp Cams | F&B | Mopar | Spintech | SCT | Hotchkis

I like free kittens

Status

Chip? These aren't Honda civics. Put a real tuner on it
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

What is amazing is, in all that jibber jabber not one mention of the only VIABLE tuning choice available for these trucks

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Status

I know...I know!!!

(Waving hand)
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    I know...I know!!!

(Waving hand)
    an EFI carbinator?

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRT View Post
    What is amazing is, in all that jibber jabber not one mention of the only VIABLE tuning choice available for these trucks
    Mega Squirt
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

Quote Originally Posted by Lonesoldier79 View Post
    Mega Squirt
    I don't consider that viable for a bone stock truck, lol. And mega squirt works but takes some doing to keep gauges and stuff working, it's not for everyone.

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Status

Totally agree on SCT2. This thing will give you a good improvement especially in combination with a good air intake and exhaust. You can check out this manual to see available features and setups.

+ Reply to Thread