+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aluminum Radiator??

Status

Default Aluminum Radiator??

I have been thinking about possibly removing my stock radiator and installing a larger aluminum radiator so my truck will stay cool during the summer and allow me to run my AC without it getting warm. My truck will currently rise in temperature when stopped while my AC is running. I would like to eliminate the problem with doing a radiator swap. So I figured I should look for anyone who has done a radiator swap before or just get some opinions on whether or not it is a good idea.

I like free kittens

Status

look elsewhere. a larger radiator is not your fix. you have other problems. stock radiator is good enough to keep a 500+ hp big block cool. I couldn't get that motor to overheat on a stock radiator!

if your temps climb when you're not moving, it indicates an airflow problem. not a radiator capacity issue. Mechanical clutch fan still? Check the clutch, make sure it's not worn out and preventing the fan from spinning fast enough.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Status

What Tom said.
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Status

From what I remember the clutch fan is working and there is a electric fan but i have no clue if that thing is working. I also don't know if it matters that my truck is not an R/T and has the 4.7L. Anyway I will look into the fans working and since you are saying it is a airflow problem I'm going to guess that flushing the radiator and putting new fluid in wont make any difference.

Status

Check the radiator cap and the clutch fan.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

hell, I beat the hell outta my motor, 30 mins of WOT or hard breaking my gauge stayed at half way, normal driving i'm at the second tick.

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

I like free kittens

Status

doesn't matter if it's RT or not. the 4.7 isn't going to run hotter than the 5.9 In order to check your clutch fan, try spinning it with the engine off. you should feel a "fluid resistance" if that makes sense. the fan should only free spin 1/2 to 1 full revolution. if it keeps going and going, then the clutch needs replaced. Do you still have a fan shroud in place?

Overheating while not moving or moving slowly points to an airflow problem through the radiator. if it's overheating at cruising speed, then you would have a water flow problem.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Status

Yes, the fan shroud is still in place. I will check the clutch fan soon. Thanks for the help.

Status

Depending on how well maintained your cooling system has been, you could have corrosion in the radiator restricting flow and the rise in temp is going to occur quicker while at idle because of reduced water flow speed. Also look to a bad fan clutch, or if the system has been really badly maintained you could even have some erosion of the water pump blades which will cause bad flow. There are only a few things to look at when it comes to the cooling system so just look at it systematically. Start with fan clutch and go forward.

+ Reply to Thread