+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Retractable Tonneau Cover

Default Retractable Tonneau Cover

Can you guys and gals help me and make some recommendations on a retractable tonneau cover?

My truck had a MoPar soft cover, that ruined the paint on the bed so I replaced it with a hard tonneau, which did the same thing.

Now I'm looking at getting a retractable cover. Am I kidding myself, will they do the same thing? Will an over the rail Line-X liner help or prevent this? I know nothing about them so I am opening it up for opinions and suggestions. I found one, that looks about the same as all the rest, except price (to this novice) but what I like about it is that you can get it color matched to your paint. The url is:

https://www.peragon.com/land/tonneau...FQiUaQodc-wNDA

Anybody have any experience with this or any other retractable covers, please give me your opinion. Thanks!
    Jim

1998 Dakota Sport
    5.2L 5-spd
    3.92 rear
    GTS Viper Style Ram Air Hood
    Viper hood ornament
    Original Equipment Factory Roll Pan
    MBRP Cat-back Exhaust
    Grillcraft grill inserts
    Custom two-tone paint
    Custom logos and striping

OG DRTC

Status

They will all wear one paint anywhere they touch paint. You can used a spray on line-x liner to help if you want that look. Another option would be some clear 3m vinyl. I had some put on the tailgate of my 99 to help.

Hskr,

I am pretty sure I'm doing an over the rail Line-X liner. I'm guessing unlike a hard tonneau which sits directly on the bed rails, the retractable covers go around all 4 rails so even if it's scratching the paint, it would be under the rail and unnoticeable, and like you said, the Line-X would help.

Anybody with a recommendation of a cover? What about the Peragon? (link above)

Thanks!
    Jim

1998 Dakota Sport
    5.2L 5-spd
    3.92 rear
    Viper hood ornament
    MBRP Cat-back Exhaust
    Grillcraft grill inserts
    Custom two-tone paint

Any opinions??
    Jim

1998 Dakota Sport
    5.2L 5-spd
    3.92 rear
    Viper hood ornament
    MBRP Cat-back Exhaust
    Grillcraft grill inserts
    Custom two-tone paint

Rail caps, sprayed on liner, or if you find a drop in plastic that goes over the top, that will protect the paint on the rail tops. Pretty much the only way for that.

As for the cover, it's a question of what you want to do with it and how you use the truck. IMPO, those trick covers like that, and indeed all flush mounts, are best kept to full size's. We're already down like 8" I believe, from the Ram, in width. Those covers mount inside the rails. They do this with either clamps that grab the underside, or get drilled and bolted in. The main issue here is that you then lose more bed width unless your cargo is small enough to fit under the extended cover. Also, there won't be a whole lot of strength on top of it either, as the mounting method won't take much load.

I really love the trick retractable functionality (and that price isn't bad), but, I am personally looking for an over the top tri-fold hard cover. (not actively at the moment, but eventually) Might block the window when opened, but our mirrors are big enough. And won't lose width between the rails.
    2003 Black CC R/T, 1 of (less than) 376

Dark(a)RT,

Yeah, I'm getting an over the rail Line-X liner. As far as use, I just want the ability to cover packages in the back under lock and key. In the Spring I'll need the bed for bags of mulch, fertilizer, etc. I can't imagine a reason why I would have to carry anything really oversized. I had a fiberglass tonneau on it for 15 years, that virtually rendered the bed useless. I managed.

Thanks!
    Jim

1998 Dakota Sport
    5.2L 5-spd
    3.92 rear
    Viper hood ornament
    MBRP Cat-back Exhaust
    Grillcraft grill inserts
    Custom two-tone paint

Bump!!
    Jim

1998 Dakota Sport
    5.2L 5-spd
    3.92 rear
    Viper hood ornament
    MBRP Cat-back Exhaust
    Grillcraft grill inserts
    Custom two-tone paint

Status

I used the 3m clear tape as well. I like it better than the rough finish of bed liner material and my tonneau seals nicely. I don't like the "clunky, industrial" look of the Peragon on the rails.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

99dart,

Thanks for your input.
    Jim

1998 Dakota Sport
    5.2L 5-spd
    3.92 rear
    Viper hood ornament
    MBRP Cat-back Exhaust
    Grillcraft grill inserts
    Custom two-tone paint

---Under Construction---

Status

The retrax bed cover is a really nice bed cover, pricey though.

My R/T build (rebuild) thread

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=133167
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

Status

I know old thred! But the ROLL'N ' LOCK retractable bed cover work well. I have one on my 98 dakota RT & a lorider fiberglass cover on my 02 dakota sport. The fiberglass one looks better but scratches my bed rails too. I didn't like the roll'n ' lock one as much at first! But I like it more now much more versatile. I can haul big stuff now without taking the cover off. And it doesn't hurt the paint.

I have a ROLL N LOCK on my 97 since new still working great

As an update, I went with a Peragon cover. I had Line-X do the bed and rails and then they installed the Peragon on top. It's been on a year with no issues. Relatively inexpensive compared to others.

https://www.peragon.com/?gclid=CMaRn...FUO2wAod0W0Lxw
    Jim

1998 Dakota Sport
    5.2L 5-spd
    3.92 rear
    Viper hood ornament
    MBRP Cat-back Exhaust
    Grillcraft grill inserts
    Custom two-tone paint