+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stock rim peeling

Status

Default stock rim peeling

I really need to kick the body work into high gear to be able to get to some meets this year with some semblance of dignity. My r/t rims have the paint peeling off. I haven't been able to find much of any discussion on what to do about it. Only threads were about people wondering how to plastidip to achieve different colors. Is plastidipping my only real option? Once that factory paint goes, it really looks abysmal. If plastidip is the only choice at this point, what do any experienced folks think is the closest thing to factory look? Black rims are played out. Thanks in advance
    Pushrod V-8 Addiction
    98 IB CC owned since 00

The Stig's Americn Cousin

Status

Rim paint color is pak Iirc

Sand prime re spray

Just did my centers. Looks good
    1 of 135
    '98 IB CC -14.699 @ 92.04 HP-223+ TQ-302+
    K&N FIPK - Custom true duals - DUI ignition system-T56

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Status

does brake heat factor in or just use anything?
    Pushrod V-8 Addiction
    98 IB CC owned since 00

Status

Dismount your tires, and find a reliable sandblasting shop, and have them blasted. Then find a good powder coater and have them powder coated. Make sure they clear coat them as a final finish. They will last way longer than if you paint. This will cost you a bit of cash, but well worth it in the long run.
    Edelbrock Magnum heads, Harland-Sharp 1:6 RR, Jomar Performance Ultra-Lite Stud Girdle, SoutheastPerformance Sheet Metal Valve Covers, Custom Hyd Roller from Reed Cams, Mopar M-1 2 Brl Intake, Hughes Stage 1 TB, JBA SS Headers, Jacobs Electronics Pro Street Ignition System and Wires, MBRP 'Cuda Style Exhaust, Western Chassis 2" drop front and rear, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, Terry DeLong Pro-Glass Shaker Hood

OG DRTC

Status

Not all powdercoat needs a clear overtop. And shouldn't cost more than $75-80 per rim for a good job.

Status

4x8 = 320.00

Rattle can FTW.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

---Under Construction---

Status

Never heard of the stock rims peeling. Their coating is pretty good. Got pictures?

My R/T build (rebuild) thread

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=133167
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Cuda383 View Post
    It's an emissions thing. someone, somewhere said that the millions of gallons of gas that evaporate to the atmosphere every year was killing tree frogs on some south african isalnd or some shit, those endangered tree frogs can suck my left nut.

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by kota360 View Post
    Dismount your tires, and find a reliable sandblasting shop, and have them blasted. Then find a good powder coater and have them powder coated. Make sure they clear coat them as a final finish. They will last way longer than if you paint. This will cost you a bit of cash, but well worth it in the long run.
    +1

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    4x8 = 320.00

Rattle can FTW.
    Dafuq? No wonder your customers build 1.5M dollar homes LOL!!!!

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

Status

Pushrod V-8 Addiction
    98 IB CC owned since 00

Status

The first set of photos show what it was like before touching them, other than a simple wash with soap and sponge. They had clear coat peeling off in spots and the baked on brake dust was impossible to remove. I tried different ways to get the brake crap off but it wasn't working and was time to use oven cleaner. I used a pressure washer first to pre-clean them. The paint flew off just from pressure washing. Used the oven cleaner after to get all the remaining brake dust off since the paint was fubared at that point anyway. It did remove everything which was good but now need to move on. $360-$400 might be worth more than my entire truck so not sure if that is the best option for me at the time. Plus I struggle with commitment. A cheap rattle can job i guess avoids commitment. Went through auto parts stores, online, and wal-mart today and this paint seems like a viable option. Not sure how it would look vs stock. I don't have a space to use my hvlp gun right now so im restricted to contracting it out or rattle can.
    Pushrod V-8 Addiction
    98 IB CC owned since 00

Status

If you're going that far , you might as well use aircraft remover , I believe that's what it's called , you can get it at Walmart , and start fresh from the white wheels

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

basically paint stripper

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

+ Reply to Thread