+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brake upgrade for stock wheels?

AutoZone Perfomance Parts

Status

Default Brake upgrade for stock wheels?

Rotors are already gouged, and rainbowed from over heating them multiple times

Planning on going with 4 ebc 3gd rotors.

Is there a bigger caliper option (preferably 4 piston's) that'll fit behind stock wheels without a spacer?

I know Darkrt is running OE srt8's, will they fit behind stock wheels?

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Rev limiter? that's what valve springs are for!

I like free kittens

Status

there's a reason why performance vehicles come with big wheels. They are needed to fit big brakes.

If you're set on using stock wheels and no spacers, then upgrade to the 03/04 system. 12" rotors vs the 11" rotors on earlier trucks. Plus, the front is a dual piston floating caliper with twin 50mm pistons. These are actually "bigger" than the viper brembos and will create more clamp force. (when factoring overall piston area, you have to ignore one side on the brembo calipers because of how they "push" against each other and cancel each other out) The 03/04 will fit under the stock 16" and 17" wheels on these trucks, but will not fit under 15s.

If those still are not big enough for you then you need a bigger rotor with more surface area. This increases the size of your heat sink, so it's capable of absorbing more heat, plus with more surface area, it will dissipate heat faster as well.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

Status

My truck is an 03 so I already have the bigger brakes. So realistically I'm probably best off replacing the rotors, pads, and adding stainless brake lines for the time being?

Is there a difference between the front and rear rotor diameters and thickness? My truck came with dinky cheapo aftermarket rear rotors when I bought it to pass safety inspection

Mods - TB Spacer, Short Throw Dipstick, Performance Auto Zone Intake "0.30 over bore", R/T Cam, Performance Chip, Radiator Delete

Home School Valedictorian

Status

IIRC, the rear disc on the Durango uses a vented rear rotor where the Dakota uses a solid rear disc. The Durango rear disc/calipers will be better but likely needs modifications to retro on the Dakota axle.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

I like free kittens

Status

Going from memory, both rotors are 12" diameter. Front uses a dual 50mm piston set up. Rear is a single 50mm piston
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

just looked up part numbers for durango's and dakota's on summit, each vehicle has 2 different size rotors, I assume the narrower ones are the rears.

Dakota front - 12.120" x 1.023" http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...e/model/dakota
    Dakota rear - 12.276" x 0.587" http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...e/model/dakota

Durango front - 12.120" x 1.102" http://www.summitracing.com/int/part.../model/durango
    Durango rear - 12.500" x 0.866" http://www.summitracing.com/int/part.../model/durango

Durango rear brakes are significantly thicker because they are vented, and they are also a larger diameter. with my current rear rotors the pads miss the outer portion by about 1/4 inch, this has me curious what diameter they are, and if durango rear brakes are mounted farther to the outside of the rotor?

also anyone run these braided lines?
    http://www.amazon.com/Goodridge-1500.../dp/B007JYCHUQ

Do you auto-x?

I don't, so I'm hard pressed to imagine how you managed to overheat them so badly. Especially up there in the great white north.

Unless.... too many brake stands? (though inspired by your sig pic) If so, then I would think just getting a line lock might be the better way to go.

Or perhaps the ones you had on really were just cheap junk and a good Brembo blank should get ya sorted. I had to do one serious panic stop in my car, and after that I got the brake judder that some said was just material stuck to the rotor, but with the Bembo blanks, it never did it again, which makes me think it was warpage. Anyway, just to say that a quality rotor can make a big difference over cheap junk.
    2003 Black CC R/T, 1 of (less than) 376

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dark(a)RT View Post
    Do you auto-x?

I don't, so I'm hard pressed to imagine how you managed to overheat them so badly. Especially up there in the great white north.

Unless.... too many brake stands? (though inspired by your sig pic) If so, then I would think just getting a line lock might be the better way to go.

Or perhaps the ones you had on really were just cheap junk and a good Brembo blank should get ya sorted. I had to do one serious panic stop in my car, and after that I got the brake judder that some said was just material stuck to the rotor, but with the Bembo blanks, it never did it again, which makes me think it was warpage. Anyway, just to say that a quality rotor can make a big difference over cheap junk.
    No there arn't any close autocross events, I personally find auto cross kind of boring, I'd prefer a racetrack with higher speeds. I discolored my front rotor's from hard stops at high speeds Cop spottings, wild life, cruising up and down HWY 367.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/51.66.../data=!3m1!1e3
    https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.65863...7i13312!8i6656

"Bleach Master"

Status

you could switch to the 03 Durango front brake set-up, it has a thicker rotor and more surface area on the rotor. you would need the caliper, caliper bracket and rotor from a 03 Durango. it won't clear 15's without modification or spacers but will clear 16's and bigger wheels.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

Are the Durango brakes really a significant upgrade from 03 brakes? the piston's are only 3mm's bigger in the front, but the rears do seem quite a bit better, but the rear's don't do that much stopping anyways.

I envy those roads. (would think it hard for cops to hide out there too)

Lowered vehicles will have reduced weight transfer and allow the rear brakes to do more work. A Durango will have more weight over the back, but I wonder just how much more. By those specs, one would think it was a 50/50 distribution or something.

As for stopping power, it honestly tends to be the pads. Larger rotors will grant more leverage, but you can generally generate enough pressure to lock wheels with the right pads. Even 275s. So if clamping force is what you're after, I'd look at pads. But if heat absorption is what you're after, then thicker rotors will help that. Maybe even look into running some ducting for ventilation.
    2003 Black CC R/T, 1 of (less than) 376

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dark(a)RT View Post
    I envy those roads. (would think it hard for cops to hide out there too)

Lowered vehicles will have reduced weight transfer and allow the rear brakes to do more work. A Durango will have more weight over the back, but I wonder just how much more. By those specs, one would think it was a 50/50 distribution or something.

As for stopping power, it honestly tends to be the pads. Larger rotors will grant more leverage, but you can generally generate enough pressure to lock wheels with the right pads. Even 275s. So if clamping force is what you're after, I'd look at pads. But if heat absorption is what you're after, then thicker rotors will help that. Maybe even look into running some ducting for ventilation.
    The nice think about cruising through the park is the only time the cops will be on that road is if somebody called in a disturbance or something, and park rangers don't have the authority to stop motor vehicles for speeding or seat belts yet... I just need to watch out for gravel, because the road is only paved half way, people end up tracking sand down the road for miles, and if you get out of the groove at 110mph, you could end up in the ditch. Most other roads are straight and open here, the worst part is cops don't sit and run radar around here, if they think you're speeding the flick on the radar in their car as they're driving and nail you to the cross.

I like free kittens

Status

That's standard practice for most law enforcement agencies. They will sit and watch traffic, when they observe a car that's speeding, they'll flip on the radar and get your speed before you have a chance to react from a radar detector. I sat with a state highway patrol trooper once, and within just 5 minutes, I was able to guess cars speeds within 5 mph. Imagine doing that every day for your career. You'll get to the point that you don't need radar to know how fast people are going.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

Has anyone run the thicker durnago vented rear rotors with the 03 dakota rear calipers? would this cause an issue of the rear brakes wanting to lock before the fronts are fully engaged?

Home School Valedictorian

Status

You cant run the Durango rotor with the Dakota caliper, no room for the rotor between the brake pads.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

As I suspected

gen III traitor

Status

Chad, what are you running on your 9"?

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Osee View Post
    Are the Durango brakes really a significant upgrade from 03 brakes? the piston's are only 3mm's bigger in the front, but the rears do seem quite a bit better, but the rear's don't do that much stopping anyways.
    I can't give you an exact percentage of how much more stopping the 03 Durango brakes are over the 03/04 Dakota brakes. I felt it was significant enough for me to use the 03 Durango brakes as I need all the stopping ability I can get.

I can't speak for the rear brakes as I have never messed with them.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sick 660r View Post
    Chad, what are you running on your 9"?
    Currently not running rear brakes, the brake kit I ordered fit before I had the back brace welded to the fab 9 housing, after that the kit doesn't fit anymore. They were installed and like 3 years old(waiting on truck to be finished) so I had to eat the kit. But I will be putting a rear brake kit on it in the future, most likely a wildwood kit.

+ Reply to Thread