+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: LS swap Dakota R/T update

Status

If you go back and read the threads about the LS swap, you will find that I have always presented real and truthful data about what I did. One of the reasons I did the swap, besides wanting to build what I wanted, was to prove how ridiculous the negative claims were. I did the swap, it worked out great, and it wasn't that hard or costly. Relative to trying to squeeze performance out of a Magnum, or putting in a Hemi.

But any discussion of putting an LS in a Dakota is always followed by trash talk. This was inherent to this site long before I did the swap. I have been a member here, in some form, for over 10 years.

Go back and read this thread. It was presented well, followed by garbage.

Even you, Mr. President, trying to dispute my subjective claims of better braking with your subjective claims of "it can't be", is stupid. You haven't done the hydroboost, as far as I know, but I have. I was shocked at the increase in braking "feel". I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, and plan to on the Durango. I want people to know that.

I have also done performance mods to the Magnum engines, and been dissappointed with the results. Recently, I recommended to someone who had an MSD ignition box to sell it and use the money for something else. My subjective opinion, but not without merit.

I am driven all-out racecars that had fantastic numbers (super-hard braking, rapid acceleration out of corners, 10-second 1/4 mile times) that had the feel of a trash truck losing all of its bolts. The goal of my truck has always been fantastic feel. It's hard to explain that on a website, but there is more to performance than raw numbers.

Not sure what to tell you. This thread had the sole purpose of exposing both sides. But the direction this site is headed is not working.

Edit: Oh shit. I totally forgot. Weren't you the one that tried to make me out like I was stupid because I lay my batteries sideways under the bed? Turns out, you can't read a freaking label, or don't know what a glass mat battery is, or both. Or maybe you, Mr. President, wanted to add to the stupid trash-talking that you claim is so troublesome. I just built another shelf-bracket battery box for the Durango, because I have the skill to do so. No Summit racing catalog required.
    1999 Dakota LS-swap. Fastest NA 5.9/6.0 full-weight CC. 12.76 at 109.9.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

There is tons more to this truck than the magnum motor, the only thing I left untouched on mine is the body panels and frame. Rest is all brand new. I have made or fabbed most of the parts from supercharger kits to headliners and while I could honestly care less Scott as its your truck and your money but how do you expect people to take you serious when everything you do is a complete hack job from copper piping with silicon and hose clamps that are a mile to long to a battery tray that the battery is held in by hope. One thing I can give you small credit for is you seem to get things done and I think that's why some of the bigger builds here take a long time, people would rather do it right than have a hacked together lump.

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

I like free kittens

Status

Data. Numbers. Not 'feels' or 'estimated'.

Goes a long way in substantiating your claims. Numbers don't lie. But words like 'feels better' are opinionated and what you say is better, another person will say sucks and feels mushy. What's so hard about doing baseline tests with real numbers, followed up with testing after the mods and show what you gains were?

Can you drop an LS into a dakota fairly easily? Sure. Where you are failing though, is the constant bashing of the Magnum pushrod motor. nobody is bashing the LS outside of 'GM motor in a mopar?!' Most have admitted its a fine platform with solid engineering.

Sure, you can spend $1500 on an M1, headers and a cam for a magnum and 'only' make 400 hp. Correct me if I'm wrong, you chose the LS because it was 400 hp 'stock' correct? So, what was the dollar amount you spent or better, what is the dollar amount someone on here should expect to spend to drop in a 400hp LS? im guessing a motor, trans, harness and computer is at LEAST $1500. Plus exhaust. Plus engine mounts, plus mods to keep the stock gauges or aftermarket gauges.

All you've told us are emotional reasons for the swap. 'It's better'. 'It's cheaper'. 'It's newer'.

How about numbers:
    Cost of the swap
    Dyno numbers of HP delivered
    ET numbers from the track
    MPG numbers from your truck.

Quoting magazines is completely irrelevant. The weight and brick like aero of these trucks means that a 25mpg motor from a GM sedan will NOT continue getting 25mpg in a dakota.

A 13 second stock GM will not run 13s in a Dakota without serious weight reductions. Didn't you run mid 14s? That's the same territory as a tuned Dakota with an intake and headers. But you refuse to admit these facts or show hard numbers to justify your swaps and mods.

Batteries? You're bringing that shit back up? I asked if it was a lead/acid battery. The kind that cannot be mounted sideways. You said it sure was and that you used RTV to seal it up. Instead of just saying 'nope, it's a gel battery/glass mat battery/etc'. So don't blame me because you once again, chose to stir the shit pot.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

"Bleach Master"

Status

I don't hate the LS engine, it is a good engine design, it should not be compared to the magnum engine though. It should be compared to it's proper class with the Gen III hemi and the Coyote engines, guess what, it is in third place when compared. Now, the only reason for the LS popularity is any trailer park buck tooth hill jack can buy one cheap in a junkyard as they litter the junkyards like beer cans in a trailer park. Ask anyone who has done the LS swap and they will tell you they only did it because it is cheaper.

I even don't hate the LS swap being done into a dakota, if you have a 4 banger or 6 cylinder I can understand. But to do the swap in a 5.9 truck is stupid in my opinion.

Also Casias you only purpose here is to stir shit, which is why I don't like you, your fabrication is horrible at best and you information is all dream land "estimates"
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Filbert View Post
    Data. Numbers. Not 'feels' or 'estimated'.

Goes a long way in substantiating your claims. Numbers don't lie. But words like 'feels better' are opinionated and what you say is better, another person will say sucks and feels mushy. What's so hard about doing baseline tests with real numbers, followed up with testing after the mods and show what you gains were?

Can you drop an LS into a dakota fairly easily? Sure. Where you are failing though, is the constant bashing of the Magnum pushrod motor. nobody is bashing the LS outside of 'GM motor in a mopar?!' Most have admitted its a fine platform with solid engineering.

Sure, you can spend $1500 on an M1, headers and a cam for a magnum and 'only' make 400 hp. Correct me if I'm wrong, you chose the LS because it was 400 hp 'stock' correct? So, what was the dollar amount you spent or better, what is the dollar amount someone on here should expect to spend to drop in a 400hp LS? im guessing a motor, trans, harness and computer is at LEAST $1500. Plus exhaust. Plus engine mounts, plus mods to keep the stock gauges or aftermarket gauges.

All you've told us are emotional reasons for the swap. 'It's better'. 'It's cheaper'. 'It's newer'.

How about numbers:
    Cost of the swap
    Dyno numbers of HP delivered
    ET numbers from the track
    MPG numbers from your truck.

Quoting magazines is completely irrelevant. The weight and brick like aero of these trucks means that a 25mpg motor from a GM sedan will NOT continue getting 25mpg in a dakota.

A 13 second stock GM will not run 13s in a Dakota without serious weight reductions. Didn't you run mid 14s? That's the same territory as a tuned Dakota with an intake and headers. But you refuse to admit these facts or show hard numbers to justify your swaps and mods.

Batteries? You're bringing that shit back up? I asked if it was a lead/acid battery. The kind that cannot be mounted sideways. You said it sure was and that you used RTV to seal it up. Instead of just saying 'nope, it's a gel battery/glass mat battery/etc'. So don't blame me because you once again, chose to stir the shit pot.
    Not blaming you for anything. I didn't expect anything different here than has ever happened, here. Still trying to answer the question "What can we do to get this site kicking again"?

I did this thread to do a little fishing for you. There just isn't much interest left in your site. That's why the only threads week after week are about the M1 intake, Ryan is cool, hemifever and PIE suck, and which cam works well in a mostly stock engine and how hard is it to do (btw, I am a broke 17-year-old, so this has to be really cheap and my dad can't find out).

As for numbers, I don't mind posting them again. Know that I went with a baby cam that is laughed at, even by my LS friends. I did it to try to match torque to traction. Came out pretty nice, but I can't discuss drivability with you, because that isn't real numbers.

Cost of the swap about $7000 with complete engine to axle drivetrain. But know, I have never said this is "cheaper". That is something that was created by you.
    Dyno numbers of HP delivered. No dyno. Street tuning shows it is probably making 440-450 hp at the crank. This is based on fuel consumption and efficiency. The base tune that is in it came from a camaro that dyno'd 410 (around that) at the wheels with similar engine and mods. Like I said, I don't waste my time with dyno because I didn't even go with the biggest cam. No reason when there is no traction. That is why I am doing the AWD durango. Shorter wheelbase, AWD and more rigid chassis.
    ET numbers from the track 13.4 on 103 right out of the junkyard, with 160k miles on the drivetrain. Again, no reason to go to a track to prove anything, but it will outrun my GTO on the street, which consistently runs 13.2-3 at 110.
    MPG numbers from your truck. Initially, it was 18 mpg with VVT in stock form. This is mixed driving over 1000's of miles. Now, 15 mpg with the cam.

Again, I didn't post this thread to substantiate anything. I wanted to prove a point. What do you think you have, maybe 2 real builds going on right now? And only one is actual quality work. Most of what you have on any given day is a couple of punks heckling everybody. Mostly new people who ask simple questions. Your site is dying.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    I don't hate the LS engine, it is a good engine design, it should not be compared to the magnum engine though. It should be compared to it's proper class with the Gen III hemi and the Coyote engines, guess what, it is in third place when compared. Now, the only reason for the LS popularity is any trailer park buck tooth hill jack can buy one cheap in a junkyard as they litter the junkyards like beer cans in a trailer park. Ask anyone who has done the LS swap and they will tell you they only did it because it is cheaper.

I even don't hate the LS swap being done into a dakota, if you have a 4 banger or 6 cylinder I can understand. But to do the swap in a 5.9 truck is stupid in my opinion.

Also Casias you only purpose here is to stir shit, which is why I don't like you, your fabrication is horrible at best and you information is all dream land "estimates"
    I love this trailer-park analogy. Didn't you live in a trailer park when you first started posting pics on here? I can't recall seeing any pics of your quality work, got some?

Lingenfelter
    Hennessey
    Speartech
    Kenny Duttweiler
    SAM

Real trailer-park stuff right there.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 9t9-5.2 View Post
    The 6.0L LY6 V-8 is the variable valve timing version of the LS2 engine, but with the better-flowing cylinder heads from the larger 6.2L LS3.
    Exactly. With the exception of cylinder head castings, valves, springs, rockers, cam, pistons, rods, crankshaft, block, maf, and ecu, it is like a twin.

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    why do the work of the swap just to use a stock ls?
    I know, right?
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

I like free kittens

Status

Quote Originally Posted by casias View Post
    Not blaming you for anything. I didn't expect anything different here than has ever happened, here. Still trying to answer the question "What can we do to get this site kicking again"?

I did this thread to do a little fishing for you. There just isn't much interest left in your site. That's why the only threads week after week are about the M1 intake, Ryan is cool, hemifever and PIE suck, and which cam works well in a mostly stock engine and how hard is it to do (btw, I am a broke 17-year-old, so this has to be really cheap and my dad can't find out).

As for numbers, I don't mind posting them again. Know that I went with a baby cam that is laughed at, even by my LS friends. I did it to try to match torque to traction. Came out pretty nice, but I can't discuss drivability with you, because that isn't real numbers.

Cost of the swap about $7000 with complete engine to axle drivetrain. But know, I have never said this is "cheaper". That is something that was created by you.
    Dyno numbers of HP delivered. No dyno. Street tuning shows it is probably making 440-450 hp at the crank. This is based on fuel consumption and efficiency. The base tune that is in it came from a camaro that dyno'd 410 (around that) at the wheels with similar engine and mods. Like I said, I don't waste my time with dyno because I didn't even go with the biggest cam. No reason when there is no traction. That is why I am doing the AWD durango. Shorter wheelbase, AWD and more rigid chassis.
    ET numbers from the track 13.4 on 103 right out of the junkyard, with 160k miles on the drivetrain. Again, no reason to go to a track to prove anything, but it will outrun my GTO on the street, which consistently runs 13.2-3 at 110.
    MPG numbers from your truck. Initially, it was 18 mpg with VVT in stock form. This is mixed driving over 1000's of miles. Now, 15 mpg with the cam.

Again, I didn't post this thread to substantiate anything. I wanted to prove a point. What do you think you have, maybe 2 real builds going on right now? And only one is actual quality work. Most of what you have on any given day is a couple of punks heckling everybody. Mostly new people who ask simple questions. Your site is dying.

Thank you for your efforts. Your services are no longer needed.

I did not "fabricate" your claims of being cheaper. I'm not going to dig through your post history because frankly, I have better things to do than prove you wrong. If you didn't explicitly say "the LS Swap is cheaper" you certainly eluded to that when your arguments were centered around "the Magnum is out dated, you spend tons and tons of money and returns aren't that great....let me show you how great the LS is"

This club isn't about builds. It's about the Dakota R/T. You're right, site activity is down from years past. membership is holding steady at 100-120 members. Not many builds going on. But I feel like you believe that it's because the Magnum motor is "all used up" and that guys need to go to LS motor swaps to "find something new"?

You clearly do not understand the dynamics of what's happening within the club. Site activity is down. FB and social media usage is through the roof. This is happening across many forums. People are using social media more and more, and online forums less and less. Anything Mopar has always had lower numbers as compared to other makes. How many Camaros, Firebirds/Trans ams, GTOs, Corvettes, etc. did GM make? several million and still going, right? Dakota R/T had how many? a hundred thousand or so across 6 years? Of course a site like this is going to have a few hundred forum users, but a GM site for all things LS will have a few thousand. You can't compare this forum to anything ford or chevy for that very reason.

Take a look at trend of Dakota owners. When new, these were $20k trucks, bought by guys with disposable income. They were built, modified, raced, showed, etc. but a lot of those guys have sold off and moved on. Now these trucks are averaging $2500-$4,000 being bought by 4th and 5th owners who are young. Still in school, or still living with mom n dad, struggling to make ends meet. The enthusiasm is still there, the desire is still there, the love of what these trucks are is still there. However, the disposable income is not. $7k to do an LS swap?! ha! The new owners of these trucks don't have $500 for an "old used up, out dated, argued to death M1 intake" What makes you think anyone will spend $7k to follow in your footsteps? What can a guy build using his 5.9 and a budget of $7k? For $7k I can put one of these trucks deep into the 11s using a factory 5.9 short block; and it won't have zip ties, hose clamps and soldered up copper pipe. (like it or not, it's the little details such as those, that you try to pass off as cool, that most guys look at and think "what a pile of cobbled together poo")

So you're right, site activity is down, but your understanding of why has missed the mark. But, regardless, we thank you for your efforts.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

I like free kittens

Status

You have done something different. Something that not many will do. but you're not the first guy to do it either. There have been other guys to put LS motors in their Dakota. They were not treated the way you have. The way you are treated is a reflection of how you have presented yourself to the forum. And now you have a reputation of doing 'hack' work. you may never overcome that. it's hard to change people's perception of you.

I think if you had just answered the question of "why" with "because I wanted to" instead of "because the 5.9 sucks and I can do better" you would have been better received. You feel like the members here have their head in the sand and refuse to acknowledge the benefits of the LS platform, but I think the general impression that the members have of you, is that you have your head in the sand with what can be done with the 5.9. with heads, compression, cam, tuning, you can get a 5.9 to do all the things you love about your LS. Good power, good streetability, reliability, MPGs... with a budget of what you spent on your swap, you can make serious power out of the 5.9 too. You just don't see a lot of it because there's not a lot of guys who have thousands of dollars to spend on an engine build...but there are many who have done that, even if it was in the past and the trucks were parted/sold off. 600+ RWHP trucks running 10s. with a 5.9 Magnum.

And there's always someone who's going to go faster. It's all about how deep their pockets are.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

You have done something different. Something that not many will do. but you're not the first guy to do it either. There have been other guys to put LS motors in their Dakota. They were not treated the way you have. The way you are treated is a reflection of how you have presented yourself to the forum. And now you have a reputation of doing 'hack' work. you may never overcome that. it's hard to change people's perception of you.

I think if you had just answered the question of "why" with "because I wanted to" instead of "because the 5.9 sucks and I can do better" you would have been better received. You feel like the members here have their head in the sand and refuse to acknowledge the benefits of the LS platform, but I think the general impression that the members have of you, is that you have your head in the sand with what can be done with the 5.9. with heads, compression, cam, tuning, you can get a 5.9 to do all the things you love about your LS. Good power, good streetability, reliability, MPGs... with a budget of what you spent on your swap, you can make serious power out of the 5.9 too. You just don't see a lot of it because there's not a lot of guys who have thousands of dollars to spend on an engine build...but there are many who have done that, even if it was in the past and the trucks were parted/sold off. 600+ RWHP trucks running 10s. with a 5.9 Magnum.

And there's always someone who's going to go faster. It's all about how deep their pockets are.

Go back in your archives and look. Every LS swap that's ever been posted on here has been resoundingly trashed. Mostly by people who haven't built anything of substance. Therein lies your problem.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

Status

It's your attitude...You bash everything Magnum.
    I'm happy as fuck to have a small block Mopar that eats built big block Mopars, I wouldn't change that for the world.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

I like free kittens

Status

Go back in your archives and look. Every LS swap that's ever been posted on here has been resoundingly trashed. Mostly by people who haven't built anything of substance. Therein lies your problem.
    I have better things to do than to research the entire history of how LS swaps have been received; the negativity you feel towards you is not because of the manufacture of your engine, and you're ignoring that fact, by continually trying to make it about brand loyalty.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

I can't speak for anyone else but for me it's Mopar or nothing it's all I own and all I probably will own in the future.
    I'm what they call a purist.
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

"Bleach Master"

Status

So what, go onto every chevy board and they bash all things ford and mopar, go onto a ford site and they bash all things chevy and mopar. This is a site for a truck that was produced by dodge so of course you won't be accepted here with your LS swap NO ONE CARES!!!

"Bleach Master"

Status

I love this trailer-park analogy. Didn't you live in a trailer park when you first started posting pics on here? I can't recall seeing any pics of your quality work, got some?

Lingenfelter
    Hennessey
    Speartech
    Kenny Duttweiler
    SAM

Real trailer-park stuff right there.
    Hey numb skull, I never said anything about real shops, my focus is on the LS junkyard swap Kool aid kids PERIOD!!

Also hasn't the Gen III hemi and the coyote engines been owning engine masters?? also here recently didn't a 318 poly juts own the engine masters......

Got Beer?

Status

And you are wrong. DRobinson has always been treated really well and has hung out with D1 members quite often.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...of-my-LS1-swap
    2003 Dakota R/T
    Hibernation
    Previous Best
    10.77@124

*Disclaimer - All suggestions given for performance modifications is assuming that you live close or at Sea Level

Quote Originally Posted by SB440R/T View Post
    And you are wrong. DRobinson has always been treated really well and has hung out with D1 members quite often.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...of-my-LS1-swap
    I was going to bring him up but figured why bother. His swap was well received as it was VERY WELL fabricated and actually was a CLEAN install - no hacks or questionable engineering. I dont have a problem with a swap per se but the quality of the worksmanship will either have people respect what you did or care less about it.

"The journey is more fun than the destination"

only one or two real quality builds going on? Dave Salazar, Kyle Dietrick, Chris Oshenic, the list goes on.......Why must you always be a choad?
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

gen III traitor

Status

Not all people make a build thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick 660r View Post
    I didn't mean to leave you or Chad or Osee out of my last post, and you make a great point. We aren't the only Mopar site out there and I can think of a whole other slue of cool builds that are "quality" Mopar.

Threads like this are exactly why I couldn't be club Prez. I would have spoken my evil rotten mind to this troll and probably embarrassed the club with my verbage more than putting that dusche in his place. Kudos to Tom for not throwing down the ban hammer and articulately speaking his mind while not being an asshole as I would have been. Anywho fuck you and your cluster fuck of an RT SL swap I promise you this Spring/Summer there will be a Div 2 get together in FL somewhere and I challenge you to bring your truck for a "pepsi challenge".
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

Quote Originally Posted by Sick 660r View Post
    I didn't mean to leave you or Chad or Osee out of my last post, and you make a great point. We aren't the only Mopar site out there and I can think of a whole other slue of cool builds that are "quality" Mopar.

Threads like this are exactly why I couldn't be club Prez. I would have spoken my evil rotten mind to this troll and probably embarrassed the club with my verbage more than putting that dusche in his place. Kudos to Tom for not throwing down the ban hammer and articulately speaking his mind while not being an asshole as I would have been. Anywho fuck you and your cluster fuck of an RT SL swap I promise you this Spring/Summer there will be a Div 2 get together in FL somewhere and I challenge you to bring your truck for a "pepsi challenge".
    2000 CC
    11.37@122

gen III traitor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lonesoldier79 View Post

Never crossed my mind. I was just making a point. I may not post a build thread but I still enjoy attempting to help others along with busting people's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

I like free kittens

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lonesoldier79 View Post

It's not easy. But honestly, it's the members club. Not mine. I doubt many would complain if I did take such an action, but everyone is due their day in court and a fair process. Me dropping a ban hammer isn't fair. Aside from being annoying, he hasn't broken any rules--hadn't scammed anyone, he hasn't lied or been dishonest about anything. He's just annoying.

now, I will point out, he's been using the forum for 5 years, has made quite the name for himself and earned an unfavorable reputation... And he isn't a paid member of the club.

At the end of the day, the members will make their opinion known and he'll get a clue.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

Status

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRT View Post
    I was going to bring him up but figured why bother. His swap was well received as it was VERY WELL fabricated and actually was a CLEAN install - no hacks or questionable engineering. I dont have a problem with a swap per se but the quality of the worksmanship will either have people respect what you did or care less about it.
    Not bashing his work, but it wasn't more than a junkyard swap. Check out this motor mount. This looks like something you would see on pirate4x4.com ghetto fab/hack jobs.

2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

Status

It's not easy. But honestly, it's the members club. Not mine. I doubt many would complain if I did take such an action, but everyone is due their day in court and a fair process. Me dropping a ban hammer isn't fair. Aside from being annoying, he hasn't broken any rules--hadn't scammed anyone, he hasn't lied or been dishonest about anything. He's just annoying.

now, I will point out, he's been using the forum for 5 years, has made quite the name for himself and earned an unfavorable reputation... And he isn't a paid member of the club.

At the end of the day, the members will make their opinion known and he'll get a clue.
    I've never been a paid member, but if a donation would help, no problem.
    2000 Durango ZL1 AWD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast